DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Locking/Alarm and Flat battery D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Locking/Alarm and Flat battery D3

MY 06 D3
Found my battery was flat (click, click) Charged battery enough to start (only got to 60%).
Car started ok, locked and left it. Next alarm goes off. Won't start, HDC fault shows on dash battery at 10.8v. Locked and left it.
Alarm off again. open button alarm off. open bonnet. starts locking and unlocking with solenoid noise from under battery? battery at 9.5v.
Are these just symptoms of a stuffed battery or is the flat battery a symptom of another problem?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #126906113th Apr 2014 9:43 am
caverD3

Bump

Any ideas?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #126912113th Apr 2014 11:57 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Hi, sorry but suffering from Sunday morning bleary-eye so a bit late.

First we need to establish where the current is going and make sure that there is nothing leaking through the alternator as the drain through that if faulty will handicap any diagnostics. If in doubt charge the battery when disconnected from the car. This will help to diagnose if the battery is still ok and all diagnostics are flawed without a proper voltage.

The locking and unlock sounds like an instrument pack issue but before we knee-jerk down that path do you have the ability to a parasitic draw check with either a DC current clamp or a digital multimeter?

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #126912413th Apr 2014 12:15 pm
AN

Hungary 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I had exactly the same when my battery got stuffed. I tried to start, nothing happened, except all kind of control lights got lit (car was like cristmas tree). When I tried to lock the car with remote, the car started to lock and unlock many times, you could hear the clicks of the locks.

It was a short in the battery itself. After jumpstart, I had to drive to the dealer with couple of fault code on the instrument panel. They replaced the battery and deleted the fault codes.

That was 6 years ago. I had to change my battery 2 times since, looks like with my driving pattern, the battery last for me around 3 years. When I start the car and I see HDC fault for couple seconds after start, it is time for the battery to be replaced.
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #126912513th Apr 2014 12:26 pm
caverD3

Battery off and being charged.
Any idea what the drain should be? resistance across terminals with battery off? amps when connected and off?
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #126912713th Apr 2014 12:30 pm
caverD3

Seemed normal to me till alarm and locking. Rolling Eyes
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #126912813th Apr 2014 12:34 pm
Robbie

I've got a pretty good idea of what the drain should be:

Click image to enlarge

In demonstration, typically in the range from:

Click image to enlarge

To an upper value of:

Click image to enlarge

Easy if you have a DC clamp but a DMM across the fuses will tell you exactly what each circuit is drawing. Remember to isolate the bonnet catch sensor for correct measurements, either by a posh method or a paperclip:

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up

Diagnostics for:

Post #126913013th Apr 2014 12:39 pm
AN

Hungary 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Mine was measuring 0.01A, but I do not have internal ultrasonic sensor. DiscoMike says 0.02-0.05A should be the draw when the car sleeps.

See discussion on it:

http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic89167.html
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #126913113th Apr 2014 12:40 pm
caverD3

Looks like battery is stuffed. Only got 60% charge.
Going to bed I'll see what it shows in the morning.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #126914413th Apr 2014 1:34 pm
Robbie

Sleep well and hopefully tomorrow we will see if something on your car killed the battery or if it died on its own.

Thumbs Up

Diagnostics for:

Post #126914713th Apr 2014 1:43 pm
caverD3

Battery got to 100%.
Tried to test current draw on battery with multi-meter not very successful- got .01 and then .02 to flash up but would not stay displayed.
Terminal sparks upon connection. Normal for .02 amp?
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #126952514th Apr 2014 2:24 am
caverD3

Not battery.
I think vehicle has been waking up and draining battery. Now alarm and when alarm switched off then hazards with a/c fan on.
Dropped to dealers. They think it is body control module. Doing diagnostics to see if it is module or stray signal to module.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #126953614th Apr 2014 6:51 am
Robbie

caverD3 wrote:
Battery got to 100%.
Tried to test current draw on battery with multi-meter not very successful- got .01 and then .02 to flash up but would not stay displayed.
Terminal sparks upon connection. Normal for .02 amp?

The vehicle wakes up and draws 20+ amps when power is reconnected hence the sparks, so not a good idea to have an amp meter in series. I presume you have blown a fuse in the meter. There are techniques to keep the car asleep to avoid this surge (2nd power source or wire in parallel before battery disconnection etc) but amp clamps are much easier. The method of individually testing the back of fuses would have told you which circuit was drawing current.

Thumbs Up

Diagnostics for:

Post #126954014th Apr 2014 6:59 am
caverD3

Meter still fine. Road service guy tested the current with a clamp meter- stated high(.5 A) but went down to .2 A.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #126956414th Apr 2014 8:13 am
Robbie

Understood and clearly something amiss if it is drawing between 200mA and 500mA (looking for less than 30mA).

Do you happen to know if he honoured the time-to-sleep, lock state, disabled the bonnet sensor and had a clamp that worked down to mA as any of these factors would spoil the results?

[Clearly I don't want to question the blokes competence, but these factors sometimes get overlooked.]

Diagnostics for:

Post #126969614th Apr 2014 2:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >