DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Disco 3, what to look foor?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Nathan93

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Montalcino RedDiscovery 3
Disco 3, what to look foor?

Good evening folks!

Hope all is well. New here, proud owner of a D1 dinosaur and very tempted to take the plunge and get a 3, which is why I have signed up. However, I wouldn't mind afew pointers off the boffins if I can! I have fancied one for a while now, however I have read a lot of horror stories about them and I did read somewhere that they were voted the worst second hand 4x4 to buy, but I'm sure that cant be the case! I like to think I know my Disco 1 fairly well, having done work to it etc and I would know what to look for if I went to view another one. However, I would be lost when it comes to D3s. I like the practicality of a 1 & 2, with regard to engine access etc, is that the same with a 3? I suppose at the moment from what I have been reading most issues need to be plugged into a computer to be resolved, which doesn't really take my fancy. But I'm guessing if you get a decent one there's not a lot of chance of anything major?

Basically, I'm just interested in hearing peoples thoughts on what I want to be looking at when I go view some at the end of the month, is there anything I need to test or examine in particular?

Many thanks

- Nath.

Post #12330458th Feb 2014 12:24 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Do your research. The forum has many threads similar to this very one Thumbs Up

Look at, and drive a few examples. One of them are bound to be a dog, so you will know what to look/listen for. Even try and find a newer model than your budget allows (a nice, low mile 09MY for example) and test drive that. It should still be new enough to avoid the common suspension issues, and will give you a base point to compare to those that are in your budget

Do some more research Thumbs Up

Find someone local to you (maybe even a site sponsor) who can go along and look at the car with you. They will be able to point out any issues that are present at the time of inspecting the car. While they don't have a crystal ball, they can give you a thorough report on the condition of the car, as well as a fault code interrogation, again, highlighting any potential issues

Read the horror stories, so you know what the look/listen/check for

It is true that if ANYTHING goes wrong with a D3, it will have to be plugged into a diagnostic machine. However, this can be negated (to a point) by purchasing your own fault code reader. They are available 2nd hand from around £150, upto £400 or so for a new device.
Again, research is key here. People will advise what they think is best, but it all depends whether you want a diagnostic code reader, or full module flash programming, and CCF editing

Service history, and/or a pile of receipts to back up any work done is normally a huge bonus with these cars. They do take a lot of looking after. However, it works both ways. A huge pile of receipts can be an indication of a well loved car, or a problem car.
Likewise, a lack of receipts could mean it has been trouble free, or it may need a heap of work done in the next 12 months. This is where taking along an expert will pay dividends

Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #12330488th Feb 2014 12:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
farmerboy

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Nath. Welcome.
I recently moved up from a D2 to my 2007 D3 (35,000 miles) and it is a monumental leap in comfort and sophistication but I too was worried about reliability hence opting for a base model with the coil springs and a manual gearbox. I have to say I would love to have all the bells and whistles but the suspension seems to give quite a few problems and the auto box can be plagued with faults as well - just from what I have read on here...
....also quite a few engines have destroyed themselves - have a search for cambelt/oil casing problems for more info.
Having said that I love the car and I think with some knowledge (gained from here) and regular maintenance all should be well although I had a close call with a cracked oil pump casing recently!

Road tax is a bit high on some models (mine!) but fuel consumption is reasonable and most parts are easy enough to come by.

This forum is invaluable.

Good luck with the search - I would do a LOT of reading on here before you part with your money!
 2007 Base D3 - Buckingham Blue
Mods...
Off road "adventure XS" air freshener
Off road "My back hurts - GLX" lumbar support.
All Terrain Racing (incontinence) seat covers
SAGA GTX remap (30% power reduction plus max 2000 rpm limit) 

Post #12330508th Feb 2014 12:49 am
den2013

Austria 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

And don't be put off when reading articles on here, we come here with a problem with the car and all the posts seem so negative and daunting, and forums can lead you to believe the vehicles are worse than they are, not the case, its more that we come here for advice and some great pub style banter, because the knowledge is second to none here and someone will have an answer, even some LR tech people can't answer a question than some can answer on here.
I think you will find even other make cars have problems and it would be the same on there respective forum, its true that you will find a problem with the car, but if you take into account what you have really most of them are the same problem over and over again and there will be a answer here for you. Thumbs Up
 2015 D4 HSE LUX Kaikoura Stone(sold)
2010 D4 S Commercial Santorini Black(SWMBO)(sold)
2014 Evoque Dynamic Kaikoura Stone (sold)
2013 Porsche Boxster S (Fun car)
2008 D3 HSE Java Black(sold) 

Post #12330658th Feb 2014 7:03 am
Bobs

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Quick tips from my limited experience -

Up to 2006 models have a stronger designed oil filter casings. Good tip from Farmerboy as he said research the thread ... As post 06 models the casing changed and were a weaker design Shocked

Those that have been on here a long time say the 'search' option is your 'friend' ....just type away and read Thumbs Up a wealth of knowledge and banter Very Happy

In some respects easily sorted as just get it replaced ( if it hasn't been already) to save having any issues in you buy an 07 onwards.

Up to March 06 road tax is cheaper ... Helps with the bills :0)

Check the tyres as approx £135 to £200 a corner sounds basic but it a potential big mistake in early months of ownership to pay out to replace them Big Cry

I have had issues with clocking back in 09 and suggest going on the web to check MOT history or getting a full service history .... You can check the mileage is accurate then - search clocking on here for the thread. Shocked

Finally a big service at 105k/ 7 years ... All belts etc as it is approx £700 depending on where you go. Some of the guys on here do it but just a heads up as again if you don't know and it's not been done you'll have to cough up for it Rolling Eyes

I have slowly sorted alot of issues with help from everyone on here and in general everything has been posted answered and discussed on here before ... Fantastic arena for all you will need Thumbs Up

Quick thought - look in the for sale section on here ... Members have some up for sale Whistle
 D4 Front upgrade/cut back wings n things 'taking a long time but getting there'.
D4 rear upgrade - Narpys helped with that bit
Flack for problem solving and D4 Bluetooth Install/ D4 Heated Steering wheel with Flappy paddles n BBS enabling kit
Disco Mikeys work - Serviced, EGR blanking and 4x4 software upgrade, 3 flash indicators.
B.A.S - FBHIC. Uncle Rays spare wheel protector. Beanie Silver Black badges. 

Post #12330748th Feb 2014 8:28 am
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

The biggest thing to look for is the price, and what ever it is add a few grand on top for things that are not 100%, because unless you get extremely lucky there will be something.

Mine looked all bright and shiny and at a good price and to the untrained eye it looked the finished article. To my semi trained eye I could see it needed a bit of fettling and managed to negotiate a few more quid off and since purchase have had to throw a few more £s (than I would have liked) to get her up to a good standard. Nothing major and as I've done a lot of things myself have kept the cost down.

My ownership of Land Rovers is now well over double figures and this one is stacking up pretty much just like all the others. None of them have ever left me totally stranded (kiss of death!!) but you can count on one hand the days they've run 100%, including a few brand new ones along the way.

If I was buying now I would probably buy one from an established owner on here, most of the time you can see it's full history of calamities and heroics. It will have had all the issues addressed as well, not just the major ones but the minor ones that are missed by owners who throw them at a main dealer to be looked after.

The D3 is an excellent vehicle that covers so many bases, but it's just like any Land Rover, expect more than an oil and filter change to keep it happy.
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #12332448th Feb 2014 1:44 pm
Nathan93

Thanks for the feedback folks, it's all appreciated. I've been burying my head in the mags and online articles. By the sounds of it your probably better off spending the cash for one around the 10K mark, I suppose it will be like when I got my D1, there was a stint of bits and bobs going wrong until you have the teething out the way and get to know the sounds and what it feels like. I'm still at work for another 3 weeks so that will give me plenty of time to scout through the site more.

Has anyone played with them offroad yet , are they up to it?

Cheers

Nath.

Post #12334448th Feb 2014 9:03 pm
den2013

Austria 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

D3's are more than capable off road, some people report that they are a match for a defender, some say better than a defender. Plus you have the benefit of doing it all in comfort. A chap on here goes with a club, std D3 apart from all year tyres and pressure lowered to 30 i think, might be a bit slower than the defenders but if you watch the vid take a look how much has been done to the defenders and then at his D3. Thumbs Up

2015 D4 HSE LUX Kaikoura Stone(sold)
2010 D4 S Commercial Santorini Black(SWMBO)(sold)
2014 Evoque Dynamic Kaikoura Stone (sold)
2013 Porsche Boxster S (Fun car)
2008 D3 HSE Java Black(sold) 

Post #12334568th Feb 2014 9:15 pm
1967jester

Location: Usually in the North East though I have been known to travel

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mikey, it him
Know that's one of the best responses I've ever seen Bow down Thumbs Up
 Paul.

06 Java Black HSE - gone
12 Baltic Blue HSE - gone
15 Fuji HSE Lux
Club Biscuits, mmmm nice!
Traxide/Luna hybrid & Yellow top
Some Prospeed bits
+ some other stuff
Club N.E.R.D.s. 

Post #12335048th Feb 2014 10:16 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

get yourself over to land rover experience at solihull for a few hours...you will very soon realise just what this car will do...a must
also get a good waranty

Post #12335108th Feb 2014 10:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nathan93

Good Evening folks,

Been a while since I last visited the site, but I can happily say I'm returning as a proud D3 owner! After spending a good few weeks burying my head in countless articles, forums etc and of course talking to owners I finally felt confident enough to start looking at afew 3s and actually knowing what to look out for. After browsing for at least a month, I finally found a possible one down in Birmingham that I liked the look of. Unfortunatley, it wasnt as advertised and the interior was an absolute wreck, the leather seats had been slashed and paint flicked over them, there was a good dent in the boot door along with a bumper with no reverse park sensors or wiring for them either. Good old ebay! Whilst travelling home on the off chance we noticed one up the road(ish) in Mansfield, which was fit enough for the queen compared to the last one. So, after a thorough inspection and a little bit of bargaining I bagged myself a nice green D3 to match my D1, SE 2005 with 107,000 on the clock. Runs like a dream and I cant see any snagging points, however I have got breakdown cover just in case!

Thanks for all the helps folks!

Nath.

Post #126992514th Apr 2014 9:56 pm
Bobs

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Look in thr for sale section on here Thumbs Up

Alot easier ..... Whistle

Post #126992814th Apr 2014 9:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >