Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Window Tinting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Neil R

Hi Will,

Could you PM me the details of the guy you used.

Also can someone tell me if the type or level of tint makes any difference to the window elements been more or less visible.

Thanks Neil
 2005 Java Range Rover Sport 2.7 TDV6 HS (GONE)
Stormer wheels, SC Grills, Tow pack,PTI,Adaptive lights,Useless coolerbox (GONE)

2010 RRS HSE Santorini/Ivory TDV8 Overfinch'd 

Post #8558176th Nov 2011 10:36 pm
Neil R

Bump
Stormer wheels, SC Grills, Tow pack,PTI,Adaptive lights,Useless coolerbox (GONE)

Post #8570119th Nov 2011 10:35 pm
Neil R

Bump Again

I was hoping for some help.

Sad

Post #85828013th Nov 2011 12:02 am
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

Neil,

The lighter the tint, the less the elements will show!

But to get the value of a tint, you need to go dark.

Sitting inside the car, you obviously won't notice the elements. And even outside it's not a huge drama at factor equivalent, which is around 20%.

I'd suggest the main thing is to get a good company to do it and to use a good film, with a guarantee.

I have 23 or 27% (can't remember which). You can see shadows inside, and from the inside you can't really tell it's tinted. But the car doesn't look like a pimp mobile. 7% was the darkest my tinter could offer, which would offer a significant reduction in glare for the children, but SWMBO drew the line at one step back. It looks great, but darkest is best for reducing heat and glare. Fact. But it shows up the elements more, and pimps up the wagon quite a bit more also.

Hence where we ended up.

Good luck.
 PAGODA  
Post #85828313th Nov 2011 12:09 am
Neil R

Thanks for the response.

Very useful indeed

Neil

Post #85828613th Nov 2011 12:18 am
Calcul@tor

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

90BHP wrote:
one way of ensuring that they get edge to edge is to remove the glass. This option just so happens to work very well on the D3 as removal is quick and easy.

So which bits of glass do they remove? Is it just the opening windows in the back doors?
 D4 XS MY12 Galway  
Post #86343325th Nov 2011 3:50 pm
Dave T

England 

Dr Rick

How are the tints holding up, any problems, are you happy with the light , would you do the same or change shade if doing again?
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #94596723rd Jun 2012 9:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DrRick

Scotland 

Dave T wrote:
Dr Rick

How are the tints holding up, any problems, are you happy with the light , would you do the same or change shade if doing again?

Tints are holding up fine. I went 20%, and the guy said this was pretty close to standard option tinted glass. I briefly considered the 'limo' glass which was about 10% I think, but reconsidered as the dark interior would have made it too dark up here in Scotland.

I'm just about to get my XC70 done and despite cream leather interior, I'll probably be going for the 20% again. Different company this time as I'm now east coast as opposed to west coast for Glasgow.

Dr Rick
 Dr Rick  
Post #94691725th Jun 2012 8:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dave T

England 

Went to both Pentagon and Xtreme Autotints to get a quote for D4, these came in at £191 and £175 so not much in it. The thing that swung it for me was that Xtreme offered to do the front as well, saying "oh the police generally don't bother you if its no more than 55%", knowing full well it is actually illegal whereas Pentagon would not do the front. I wonder what your insurance company would say about having the fronts done if there was any doubt about your vision through them? It also gives the Police the excuse to pull you anytime they like.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #98228627th Sep 2012 12:44 pm
DrRick

Scotland 

Fair enough. The guy at Xtreme used to work for Pentagon so I would imagine the same techniques would carry over. He never offered me the fronts to be done so I couldn't comment on that one. Although, I specifically requested that the B-pillar back get tinted as I considered the fronts to be illegal wrt modifications so never requested it.

The local guy to me that I had do the XC70 turned up in his X5 which had front and rear tints, plus he'd previously had his guy do a 'double tint' on the back of it. Effectively two layers of limo-tint. Now to my mind this would be as effective as putting tin-plate in the window opening as the amount of light let through would be minimal, but hey, each to their own. I'm happy enough with 20% B-pillar back on both my vehicles, the XC70 is definitely enhanced by the tint as it has a black-trim pack for the roofrails and has black scuff panels in a couple of places.

Dr Rick
 Dr Rick  
Post #98230327th Sep 2012 1:29 pm
gus88

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

have to give thumbs up to xtreme autotints also, after being advised on here that it was an ex pentagon employee, i gave him a call.

£150 from the A pillar back, had it in all day due to the amount on dust round the edges (MY05)

Have to say i'm really impressed, as my D3 is in java black it really looks like a drug dealer chariot but i love how it looks, and even the Mrs was impressed .

Post #98230827th Sep 2012 1:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >