Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Window Tinting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
DrRick

Scotland 
Window Tinting

Anyone have any recommendations on what to ask different firms over window tinting options?

I have a D4 GS and a small child that could do with shielding from the sun despite it being Glasgow.

Using Yellow Pages I have a handful of firms that can do the task with prices ranging from £140 - £240 for everything behind the driver.

Now, obviously they're all using the same technique (sticky film), but what's the best way to choose between them without spending the entire weekend trapesing round town. I would guess that cheapest isn't necessarily best, but then neither is expensive always the best option.

So far, I have:

Diamond Tints (http://www.diamondwindowtints.co.uk/) - £170 for 1 days work
Advanced Window Films (http://www.advancedwindowtints.co.uk/) - £140 for 3hrs work
Xtreme Auto Tints (http://www.xtremeautotints.co.uk/) - £175 for 1 days work
Pentagon Auto Tint (http://www.pentagonautotints.com/index.htm) - £240 for 1 days work

Anyone any thoughts?
 Dr Rick  
Post #7701904th Mar 2011 10:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Buttie

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi DrRick,
I too am looking into this and in the Glasgow area.

After a bit of googling I came across Diamond Window Tints, Rutherglen with good reviews including references that some of the main dealers use them.

Like many places they offer a lifetime waranty on ther work and say the applied film will not fade.

I gave them a call and they seem fairly booked up (always a good sign!) and the guy I spoke to was more than happy for me to go along and see what they do and inspect examples of their work.

Once I get around to it (not a top priority at present) I will go to Diamond Window Tints for a look and I am sure they will get my business before summer.

You never know we may have sunshine this year!?! Very Happy

If you do ahead with the tint please let us know how it went. Thumbs Up
 Cheers
Buttie 

Post #7702344th Mar 2011 12:49 pm
DiscoverEd!

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Always my usual self, concerned about the legal.

Is there a restriction for UK insurers or even police as to how many levels darker you can tint?

I vaguely remember a few cases where too dark, where you could still perfectly see out ( Very Happy ) was a no go in some countries.

Post #7702404th Mar 2011 12:58 pm
Buttie

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

DiscoverEd!
I believe you are perfectly okay B posts back. I would only consider this and ask for 'as close to' factory option darkened glass.

The only 'issues' are front driver and passenger window and windscreen tints where there are legal limits.

I am sure there are other posts on the forum quoting the letters of the law...
 Cheers
Buttie 

Post #7702444th Mar 2011 1:10 pm
DrRick

Scotland 

Buttie wrote:
Hi DrRick,
I too am looking into this and in the Glasgow area.

After a bit of googling I came across Diamond Window Tints, Rutherglen with good reviews including references that some of the main dealers use them.

Like many places they offer a lifetime waranty on ther work and say the applied film will not fade.

I gave them a call and they seem fairly booked up (always a good sign!) and the guy I spoke to was more than happy for me to go along and see what they do and inspect examples of their work.

Once I get around to it (not a top priority at present) I will go to Diamond Window Tints for a look and I am sure they will get my business before summer.

You never know we may have sunshine this year!?! Very Happy

If you do ahead with the tint please let us know how it went. Thumbs Up

Cheers for the info.

Diamond Tints only gave me an email quotation so far, so I may give them a ring.
Xtreme Auto Tints mentioned they've occasionally done work for Taggarts Land Rover on Maryhill Road and also a BMW dealer in Glasgow (not sure which one).
Pentagon mentioned they too have worked for Taggarts and Shields in Motherwell, however their price was the highest.

I just wish they all used a standard reference scheme for their tints. Some say '20%' is what I'm after, some say 'Smoke', some say 'Midnight'. How the hell am I supposed to make a comparison, especially when the film is probably from the same manufacturer.
 Dr Rick  
Post #7702484th Mar 2011 1:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi DrRick,

The percentage is the percentage of light admitted to the interior.
Limo black is '5%', only 5% of the light is shining through.
The tint colors are nice but I think you should ask for the percentage.
You could ask members on here for an image with the belonging percentage.

It depends on your vehicle color and personal taste.
I don't like limo black myself and I had tinting done from the B-pillar back in 20%. I like the way the direct sunlight is now filtered and the kids are not being fried in the back. They can still view what is outside.

I don't have an image at hand where you can see the shading well... will try to make one today.

regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #7702594th Mar 2011 1:54 pm
DrRick

Scotland 

I have a Bali Blue Disco 4. I have seen a Bali Blue RRS with tinted rear windows, I'm not sure whether they were factory or aftermarket as it was across a car park from me. However, it looked good, and from a distance I couldn't see through the tints so I would imagine it was the 20% that is apparently close to factory.

I'm not going 5% as that's overkill. Given that this is going to use the films, doen anyone know the standard glass % on untinted windows?

If anyone has any pictures of either aftermarket tinting or factory, please post away (as suggested, giving the % if you can).

The original post was more to do with selecting a reputable firm and trying to get value for money.
 Dr Rick  
Post #7702644th Mar 2011 2:13 pm
MJIbex

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Pentagon (in Reading) are very good.

From Pentagon - midnight is closest to the factory tint. Pentagon Supaglass was approved by Land Rover (from memory).

Mark.

Post #7703284th Mar 2011 3:54 pm
DrRick

Scotland 

I see yours is a Bali Blue, but an HSE. I imagine it'll have come with the privacy glass as standard but anyway.

Are Pentagon worth the extra money?

I'd either go with Pentagon or Xtreme Auto Tints based on initial conversations on the phone. Both have indicated they're called in for work by main strealers, which is good. So unless theres another way to split them, I'll leave it up to my Yorkshire/Lincolnshire blood and put it pureley down to price. All for the sake of £60!
 Dr Rick  
Post #7703514th Mar 2011 4:15 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The best tinters use Johnson films. Pentagon are a franchise, as such they pay a % back in management fees to HQ on every job. Some Pentagon places are excellent but it would be like saying all main dealers are the same Rolling with laughter (No offence TLO)

So in summary - would I pay the extra for Pentagon - nope, never Thumbs Up

Or drive down to Ben at Midland tinting and get him to do it for you Whistle
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #7703594th Mar 2011 4:32 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

If you find you don't like the tint once it is done, the film, unlike the factory glass, can be removed.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #7703604th Mar 2011 4:35 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I used a guy in Hinckley nr Leicester, (can remember the name of the place, 90 knows him) top bloke, I had it done 3 years ago, film is still exactly where he put it, no marks or bubbling. Took about 2 hours, I just sat in his office on my Laptop while I waited. Thumbs Up

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #7703714th Mar 2011 5:00 pm
90BHP

Ben at Midland Tinting - I did a few group buys a while back Thumbs Up
Post #7703924th Mar 2011 5:32 pm
FirstKnight

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

MJIbex wrote:
Pentagon (in Reading) are very good.

From Pentagon - midnight is closest to the factory tint. Pentagon Supaglass was approved by Land Rover (from memory).

Mark.

Yes, had mine done at Pentagon in Reading, they do Land Rover's for Dealer's I understand and mine were done to factory spec.
 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Si4 Coupe Lux in Orkney Grey  
Post #7705004th Mar 2011 8:31 pm
90BHP

Factory spec - is mineral glass.

If you mean they were done to have the same level of tint as factory privacy glass then any film manufacturer can do the same Thumbs Up
Post #7705934th Mar 2011 10:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >