Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

viabration during acceleration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MW

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4
viabration during acceleration

During acceleration, normally down slip roads, i get a vibration / feeling of slipping at about 30-40mph after this all is normal. Any one had anything similar, the vehicle has now done about 70K and is due for a service soon and its always helpfull to point them in the right direction before they kick the tyres and run off with your wallet.

cheers for any possible pointers

Post #18428130th Jul 2007 8:45 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Might sound obvious but have you checked your tyre pressures and checked you haven't lost any wheel weights? Confused
 The End  
Post #18428330th Jul 2007 8:46 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

This sounds like something that is starting to happen on mine at 81000. If I accelerate reasonably (but not hard enough to kick the gearbox down) as the revs pass 2000 (max torque) there is a faint shuddering sensation that lasts about 5 seconds, it is accompanied by a very slight juddering of the steering wheel. It is not tyres, as mine was doing it on the Coopers last week, and was still doing it today on the road tyres.

I think it may be the first signs of one or more cv joints wearing on the front driveshafts. When max torque is going through the joint, it may be stiffening up a touch and inducing a wobble in the shaft. It is so slight that you would have to pay attention to notice it.

I was going to flag it up at the next service which will be just before my warranty expires.

Post #18435330th Jul 2007 11:06 pm
MW

sounds very similar but appears to be from the rear. I dont think it is the tyres weights or pressures as the weights are still there.

Post #18453631st Jul 2007 12:38 pm
MW

Had a good look underneath today and the diff appears to be leaking not from the main seal but from the seal nearest the drivers wheel drive shaft on the diff, if that makes sense. Looks like a visit to dealer sooner rather than later, i dont fancy it seizing on the Mway.

Post #18473031st Jul 2007 7:48 pm
tlt

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
information

I had a similar symptom. After a firmware update (not needed), but there is one that addresses this issue, and a computer reset, the problem was minimized. It seems that there are some engineering reasons why this happens, but the computer reset basically did the trick. My understanding is they all do it, it is more noticable on oversize tyres, etc.

hope that helps

Post #1858963rd Aug 2007 11:53 pm
MW

My Disco has been in the dealers now for 6 weeks with the reported vibration fault, they have changed all parts initialy suspected but it has not gone away.

Landrover have now paid a visit for a test drive and are in the midst of comming up with a cunning plan. Apparently there are three vehicles in with the same problem and one still on the road.

Yesterday's surgestion was a fuel starvation problem. Cant complain about the dealer they have lent me another d3 and dont seem worried that i am doing 1k a week. It needs its first service in the next 2 weeks!

any one else had these problems on vehicles with 80K + milege

Post #22405814th Nov 2007 2:05 pm
richorton

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi all. mines had the same problem for months , It all started when the front diff started to make some strange noises .my dearler replaced diff and then i was left with this vibration which i thought was coming from the back . my dealer replaced rear drive shafts but that didnt work .they then replaced the duel mass flywheel and clutch .that didnt work Big Cry then one day while traviling down the motorway it got worse and then started the bang and knock . called assit and they took it back to my dealer where they found one of the front shafts had run dry and broke .they replaced both shafts and it now drives great with no sign of a vibration Thumbs Up my vrabration was when i was pulling hard in second or third gear.it only lasted a few seconds which made it hard to find.vibration got worse when i had rallycar trailer on or when i was towing our caravan .

Post #22510417th Nov 2007 12:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MW

i have finally got my disco back this weekend after i took it in 1st week of october with the viabration fault. They tried a number of fixes, (seals, propshafts, UJ ect) but the fault in the end turned out to be the gearbox.

The gearbox was flushed twice and now runs like a dream, this was also the same fault on a couple of other high mileage vehicles bought in with the viabration fault.

Post #23449615th Dec 2007 11:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >