Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Vague steering - lower control arm bushes?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

The rear upper & lower arm bushes are fairly obvious when worn & will cause rear wheel steering & non positive handling. the easiest way to check both front & rear is put a long bar on the wheel nut & gently move clockwise/anticlockwise (without undoing the nut!) then you can see the play in the bushes both front or rear.

The rear of the front lower control arm bushes are the ones that tend to cause the tramlining, as the look ok, but move quite a bit before they show excess wear.
regards
STeve

Post #61954812th Mar 2010 10:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

forgot to add, you'll need to do the rear bar thing with the handbrake off & front wheels chocked.

Post #61955312th Mar 2010 10:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dickydisco

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Steve
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m57b0s2182p12457
these are the tyres I have on the front and scorpions on the back.
They aint really that expensive so your thoughts on cheap tyre could be right I guess. anyone else run these? feedback?

im not to sure if it did it before tyre change as I had new tyres as soon as I got the car. the old tyres had funny wear pattern. inside edge near bald.
im wondering if to change the the fronts to back to see if it is cheap tyre problems
 Current: D3 commercial

Past: but not forgotten D3 HSE x2, 5 TD5 disco2's, 1 200tdi disco1, 2 300tdi disco1 one of which was a commercial, Off roader with a rather large spec, ARB's and big travel suspension to name a few.
Pajero SWB 2.8 for off road playdays
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYBx3SCl8vs check this for laughs 

Post #61986212th Mar 2010 7:41 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

They are a good brand, but I wonder about the mix of tyres.
I once had a customer's range rover which had goodyear wrangler HP's front & pirelli scorpion ST's rear, handling was terrible, so bad it was dangerous. After checking everything, I swapped front to rear & all was OK.

But in your case, check the bushes first, then swap wheels front to rear just to see what happens.
Inner wear is usually bush settle or worn bushes.

Regards
Steve

Post #61996112th Mar 2010 9:41 pm
Dickydisco

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

As ive had the lower arms replaced already, im gonna check to upper, i may just change them anyway due to the mileage (94K). After, i'll try the tyre change.
cheers steve will keep posted so other may find cure Thumbs Up

Past: but not forgotten D3 HSE x2, 5 TD5 disco2's, 1 200tdi disco1, 2 300tdi disco1 one of which was a commercial, Off roader with a rather large spec, ARB's and big travel suspension to name a few.

Post #61997212th Mar 2010 9:49 pm
MyNameIsJim

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

DickyDisco - did you solve your problem with your steering? I have the same issue at the moment and i don't want to go spending a fortune on replacing parts that do not require any attention.

Post #66419124th Jun 2010 9:06 am
Dickydisco

I changd the Tyres round and lowered the pressures too. The car drop totally different. I have mtr's on now though and the car drives perfect. Stays in line and does not tram at all. I would say to change the lower arms and I'm sure hat will help.

Post #66420124th Jun 2010 9:28 am
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

At the risk of stating the obvious, have you checked the tyre pressures?
Tyre fitters aren't always that careful - especially if two fitters work on the car.

A couple of psi difference will cause some very weird handling!
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #66456124th Jun 2010 10:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >