Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Towing and camping in France
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
superted4

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Towing and camping in France

Towing for the first time abroad next week and going for a 2 week break in Bressuire. Apart the obvious and driving on the opposite side and spending euros is there any other tips for towing and setting up abroad.

Thanks in advance
 Previous Owner:Back LED lights,Reversing Camera, Spoiler, Colour Coded Wheel Arches, Supercharger Grill and Vent, Re-mapped (but not sure what to), EGRs Blanked Off, Ipad Mini in Dash
Me: 13 Pin Single Towing Electrics, Clear Side Repeaters, D4 Alloys (no tyres as of yet) 

Post #13219718th Aug 2014 9:27 am
bsm

Belgium 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Get a decent travel insurance, car + passengers! Thumbs Up
 2017-...: Disco II Td5 auto, 1999, BAS remap, HD TC and auto box Ashcroft, Allisport IC, ACE, 2" lift only coils, BF goodrich KM2 265/70R17, FF front and rear bumper, TF steering guard and tree sliders, nanocom.
2013-2017: Disco 3 TDV6 HSE aut. of 2008, Britpart treesliders, IIDTool, RLD sump guard, BFG KM2 265/70R17, adj. rods, BAS remap + EGRs blanked, silicon IC hoses.
2010-2013: Disco II Td5 of 2000, ACE, front Bearmach HD coils, rear SLS, GG AT2

Post #13220028th Aug 2014 10:43 am
cmyers_uk

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Agree with BSM. From our current experience - decent breakdown cover which includes repatriation, warning triangle, hi-vis jackets to hand for everyone. Have numbers to call saved in phone. Plug convertor in case you end up in a hotel unexpectedly. Be prepared for rain, it always rains on us in August. Sharon

Post #13223888th Aug 2014 10:59 pm
Wolfpack

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Towing and camping in France

superted4 wrote:
Towing for the first time abroad next week and going for a 2 week break in Bressuire. Apart the obvious and driving on the opposite side and spending euros is there any other tips for towing and setting up abroad.

Thanks in advance

Toll booths...remember your trailer width.
Watch your speed...they don't paint speed cameras yellow and it's illegal to have camera warning active on the sat nav.
If paying for anything by credit card, pay in euros not sterling....or shops apply THEIR exchange rate.
Make sure the campsite has euro plug or take two pin adapter..rare these days but some have them still.
Arrive on site at 2:30.....after lunch break but before Dutch arrive and take best pitches.
If you travel at weekend there are blissfully few lorries on road, except essential ones. BUT the aires and service stations car parking areas are full.
Fill up at fuel stations after unhitching. Many service station (excluding motorway ones) can have tight turns and narrow exits for car and caravan.

I use this site for cheapest fuel locations ...

http://www.prix-carburants.economie.gouv.fr/mobile/

If you have Internet access try google street view for the location to see access.

We use CC Red Pennant for overseas breakdown and health insurance. Expensive but the best.

When we had a head on crash in Italy in May totalling my Volvo...Red Pennant sent me a brand new Disco 4 out from UK, to tow caravan home. I bought my D4 as a result of that towing experience!!!

Post #13224058th Aug 2014 11:44 pm
DerbyshireDisco

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Don't sleep in the tin tent at service stations as you may waken up dead and robbed, Eastern European scum are gassing tourists as there is no security.
 Displaced Yorkshireman.
=^:^=
SDV6 Auto obviously, Loire blue/Ebony, ugly kid glass, RLD wheel protector, private plate and maybe side steps. 

Post #13224129th Aug 2014 12:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Washwipe

England 

Think you may be the first person to have woken up dead though Whistle

Post #13224709th Aug 2014 9:16 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

When driving on the right wrap a band of white electric tape round the right side of the steering wheel and move it to the left on return Thumbs Up
Very easy to forget which side you should be on particularly after taking a break Wink
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #13224759th Aug 2014 9:37 am
Wolfpack

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I have a wife to shout "left" when we come back home....dont have problems remembering right over there, as you tend to concentrate more.

Post #13224909th Aug 2014 10:41 am
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Couple of links that might be useful

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touri...ipment.pdf

http://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/overseas-holi...nformation
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #132325610th Aug 2014 6:51 pm
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

We have just come back... things to recommend:

1. Hi Vis vest need to be for everyone!!!
2. Take 2 alcohol breathalysers as they're cheap and saves hassle ( no fine but gendarme will certainly frown and look harder for something else)
3. Warning Triangle
4. Jump leads and tow rope (I've used mine on almost every holiday to help someone at some point!
5. Bulb kit
6. First Aid kit
7. Travel insurance - I already have adequate cover through a card but if you don't then get a decent one
8. Breakdown cover for you and the van/trailer - check dimension carefully as you may be able to get a cheaper cover than those of us with a Disco and an 8m caravan!!
9. on the subject of 8 I researched extensively and went for CCC's cover rather than CC - I could get the top cover from CCC for less than standard Red Pennant from CC and reports were good all round from those that used it
10. Check tyres and age of them - they rot from inside out (we risked our 5 year old ones this time but they're being changed end of this year as a bit of an overhaul on the van in a few months)
11. Bit late now but for next year get a toll tag from APRR.FR, means you can get through tolls quicker and not worry about either waking the wife to do it or try to get close enough to machines.
12. Take your own coffee facilities - French service stations have yet to understand what a decent sized coffee looks like, even a 12oz cup will only get half full with a Cafe au lait grand!
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #132326610th Aug 2014 7:07 pm
DavidSally

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

We returned from camping in France yesterday. Get an autoroute tag. Saves time and hassle at the peage. This was the first time I had one. Well worth it. No queuing or even stopping at the barriers.

Post #132354111th Aug 2014 2:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
davidedwardmawer

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

And if continuing to Spain you'll need a second warning triangle (to put in front of car!) and any extension of length (think bike rack etc) will require a red/white striped board attaching).

As I understand it the alcohol testers are not compulsory in France any more so don't buy expensive ones if you do take some.
 33370 Fargues Saint Hilaire  
Post #132355811th Aug 2014 3:19 pm
davidedwardmawer

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Most important is to plan your travel days. Saturdays are a no-no. Especially when your area starts/finishes school hols. All you need to know is below.

Check traffic situation here: http://autoroutes.cykia.net/en/Realtime-traffic-information.htm

and predictions with useful animation here: http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/traffic-forecast.htm

and regional school holidays here: http://www.education.gouv.fr/pid25058/le-calendrier-scolaire.html
 33370 Fargues Saint Hilaire  
Post #132356311th Aug 2014 3:34 pm
disco305

Belgium 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3

Sorry, but WASHWIPE you got me in tears, so true ! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #132397612th Aug 2014 3:39 pm
DerbyshireDisco

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Washwipe wrote:
Think you may be the first person to have woken up dead though Whistle

That was a joke.
 Displaced Yorkshireman.
=^:^=
SDV6 Auto obviously, Loire blue/Ebony, ugly kid glass, RLD wheel protector, private plate and maybe side steps. 

Post #132402412th Aug 2014 5:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >