DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

Question for Heine (D3 V8)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RobV

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3
Question for Heine (D3 V8)

Hi Heine

I read that you have de-catted free flow exhaust on your D3 without problems and invite your comment on the following:

Is there any truth in the rumor that some experience rich running when removing the CAT. Will a mini-CAT for the rear sensor be the preferred route? Hereunder link to mini-CAT.

http://o2-simulators.com/?gclid=CLyO3P2__LgCFebJtAodqw8Afw

Also, have you any knowledge on who can supply remapping on the V8? I only know of the following company in the UK who specifies someone in JHB who supply their product.

http://www.quantumtuning.co.uk/quantum-rem...pping.aspx

Thanks
Rob

Last edited by RobV on 22nd Aug 2013 6:42 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #114379714th Aug 2013 1:33 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Rob,

Surely Heine will post his reply.
My question is... You will gain 20 bhp and 40 nm of torque (7 and 10%) according to the site. Would it be noticeable and worth it? The v8 is a mighty machine already, I cannot imagine this bit of torque increase making a difference?

I'm not judging you here just curious what you want from it.

Regards, Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #114380714th Aug 2013 2:01 pm
RobV

Hi Wiljo

Yes I realize the power gains are small but they also suggest (perhaps too optimistically) a 10% improvement in fuel consumption which makes it a little more attractive. I don't expect miracles in the consumption department, after all its a V8 lugging 2.7 tons around and not aerodynamically friendly either.

On the de-cat subject. My D3 emits a rotten egg smell from the exhaust when driving around town (which may indicate that the cat is at the end of its life?). This does not happen on cold startup or stopping after travelling at highway speeds. My wife often comments that the car stinks when getting out after a town run. Not sure if anyone else experiences this.

Cheers
Rob

Post #114381814th Aug 2013 2:36 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Rob,

I see your point.
My fuel cost is just short of € 0,25 per kilometer. A 10% decrease would mean saving 0,025 cents per kilometer. At a remap price of 300 pounds = € 350, it would have a payback period of 14.000 kms in my situation. At the end of the day, all depends on whether you will keep the vehicle that long.

This is a hypothetical calculation of course and YMMV. I can see some vehicles save up to 10%, especially the ones configured for minimum emission and so. I'm not so sure whether our vehicles that were designed by the garden shed department will give the same yield. After all, in many vehicles the engine management is a tradeoff between performance, fuel economy and emission but Land Rover has not taken any of these in consideration when designing and programming this engine as far as my wallet can tell... why not add the 20 bhp and save 10% in the first place then. But this is my personal opinion.

As to the rotten egg smell; I notice this from time to time but haven't really given it much thought.

Regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #114389114th Aug 2013 6:57 pm
RobV

OK, it seems there is not much available as far as remaps for the V8. The distributor in SA for Quantum Tuning does not bother replying to emails and does not seem contactable by the mobile number listed on the site. I informed Quantum in the UK and the MD immediately offered to contact the distributor. The distributor then did contact me via email. I emailed him a number of questions on the remap available and whether it is only available in Gauteng. Yet again, my email is being ignored so business must be good. I for one will give them a miss.

Can someone who has done a decat on the V8 perhaps tell me their experience, does it run rich, must you use a minicat for the second sensor? Any benefits? As mentioned, I experience a rotten egg smell on about town runs. Maybe this is normal?

Cheers
Rob

Post #114715123rd Aug 2013 8:17 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >