Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

What exactly is 'aux'?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
TB2

What exactly is 'aux'?

Don't laugh, I'm still coming to terms with electric windows and a radio! Laughing

We have just taken the plunge and bought an '06 plate HSE and are spending many a happy hour reading the user manual but one thing has stumped us: 'Aux' controls.

The manual is not very clear insofar as it tells you to connect an Aux device, but what exactly is an Aux device?

Is this a facility for passengers to listen to their MP3/iPods whilst on the move? If so, why can the driver/front passenger not do so also as there does not appear to be an Aux socket forward of the middle row of seats?

Is it for games consoles and if so, I assume that there is a market for 12v games consoles somewhere? (But if this is the case, what are the yellow, white and red? sockets for set up in two neat rows behind the centre arm rest?

How do you connect to an Aux without interrupting whatever you were listening to in the first place and how do you connect more than one Aux device so that they all work independently?

Just intrigued to know. We are off to Cornwall for our holiday shortly so if this Aux facility is useful, we may try to master it to keep the kids quiet! Whistle

TB2

Post #113816430th Jul 2013 9:45 pm
Littlejimmy

United Kingdom 2005 LR3 TDV6 S Auto Vienna GreenLR3
Auxiliary input jack point

TB2,
might be best posting a reply back by carrier pigeon! Rolling with laughter
You remind me of my own father who at christmas didn't know what a iPad was, let alone know what it was for. After buying him one he now is never seen without it.

The Auxiliary input jack ( behind the centre console ) is to play music through your sterio. For example simply attach your ipod using a sutable lead, press the AUX button on the stereo and your music will play through the disco speaker system!Thumbs Up

Post #113819930th Jul 2013 10:17 pm
Simonstarski

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

There's an aux socket in the centre rear on mine. I can plug in any music player with a compatible lead. When Aux is selected on the radio, that sound will come out on all the speakers.
I've also an audio control module or ACM. If you have one it'll be in the top glove box and will be lots of audio input plugs.
I've a USB stick with all my music loaded on it plugged in there. Nice, tidy and no more CD's cluttering the car.
If you have one, select aux on the radio and its controlled from the steering wheel buttons. One press of forward or backward to change track. One 2 second press forward or backwards to change to the next album.

Hope this helps and doesn't just confuse Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
 Narpy Grill, tinted windows, Smooth leather wheel (TLO Group buy), ACM fitted (thanks TLO), Rear door loom and Row 2 & 3 audio switch upgrade, RRS 20" wheel change, 285 Cooper LTZ's Sat Nav Mod (until I get a Faultmate upgrade), Front & Rear lamp guards. 4x4 screen now switched on - Woody32, Follow me home reverse lights - woody32, Auto release EPB - Woody32. Off Road Navigation - Woody32. Remap + EGR's switched off. Full chassis clean and Waxoyl.  
Post #113820030th Jul 2013 10:19 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

You can also get the Aux mode by pressing and holding the steering wheel mode button for a few seconds Thumbs Up
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #113820330th Jul 2013 10:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TB2

Ok, thanks for the replies. The 'Aux' is for compatible leads from an MP3 or iPod to ;listen through the cars speakers.

From that............

If the driver or front seat passenger want to listen to their MP3 or iPod, then they have to plug it into the socket at the rear of the centre front arm rest (unless the vehicle has a multi adaptor in the top glove box?

There are, I think, four 'Aux' sockets in the car (the two outside middle row passenger seats located on the door rests and two in the rear cargo area for seats 6 and 7). Can only one MP3/iPod be used at one time or can each passenger plug in their respective unit and listen via earphones? (I assume that is what the earphone socket is for at each 'Aux' control panel)?

If these passenger 'Aux' sockets are used, together with earpieces, can the radio still be used as a radio for the driver or will aux change the function completely and the driver either has to listen to what is being played on the MP3/iPod or drive in silence?

I assume that these leads can be bought from places like Mapl*ns? Do they have a specific name ie 'Aux' lead or is that too obvious?

BTW, the pigeon arrived safely this evening Laughing

Post #113855731st Jul 2013 7:40 pm
Eirik

Norway 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

It's only in the middle one and (if fitted) in the glove box you can plug in any devices. The other ones (2nd/3rd row) are for plugging in earphones to listen to any input. If you have kids in the back, they can listen to a CD on their earphones, while you listen to the radio on the main speakers.

MY2012 Discovery 4
MY2000 Defender
MY1984 110

Post #113856231st Jul 2013 7:48 pm
TB2

Right.............

I bought a portable/in-car dual screen dvd player for the kiddiwinks. It came with a lead with 3.5mm plugs on each end. This lead joins the two dvd screens together so must be capable of carrying sound and picture?

I plugged this lead into the central aux socket and the other end into a ipod and pressed 'aux' on the radio centre console, but nothing Confused No sound at all.

We tried the rear door aux sockets as well but no sound through the cars speakers either.

Am I missing out an obvious step or is something amiss here?

Tb2

Post #11390051st Aug 2013 10:04 pm
Eirik

Norway 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

TB2 wrote:
Right.............

I bought a portable/in-car dual screen dvd player for the kiddiwinks. It came with a lead with 3.5mm plugs on each end. This lead joins the two dvd screens together so must be capable of carrying sound and picture?

I plugged this lead into the central aux socket and the other end into a ipod and pressed 'aux' on the radio centre console, but nothing Confused No sound at all.

We tried the rear door aux sockets as well but no sound through the cars speakers either.

Am I missing out an obvious step or is something amiss here?

Tb2

I'm using a similar 3,5 mm lead from my Iphone to the AUX, and use Spotify to play music on the car stereo. Straight plug&play. Have you tested that the lead actually works with the DVD screens? Also remember to adjust the volume on both the Ipod and the car stereo. If the car isn't running it will play in "Low power mode", with a little less output.

MY2012 Discovery 4
MY2000 Defender
MY1984 110

Post #11390131st Aug 2013 10:24 pm
Littlejimmy

United Kingdom 2005 LR3 TDV6 S Auto Vienna GreenLR3

Like,
If its the correct lead then try the volume up on both iPod and stereo. Like previous replies the only aux port compatible for this is behind the centre console. The ports in the rear are for earphones only. Yes it is as easy to ask at any store for an aux lead for an iPod. Asda, tesco etc!
Good luck!

Post #11390151st Aug 2013 10:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >