Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Blackbox Solutions

New Dev Tool for BBS & Boys Toy for Me ;-)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
New Dev Tool for BBS & Boys Toy for Me ;-)

Those that have known me for some time on this forum will know that I first purchased a really very base spec Disco 3, which gave a unique hands on perspective that has significantly aided BBS to develop our diagnostic software over just having a Bench test rig.

However, as many may know, i also did some very major upgrading of the vehicles electronics and it's specification.
Having long since done just about everything possible and with our diagnostic software now being as fully complete as it could be for the D3 and matching MY RRS's, i have since let one of my oldest freinds, who also works for me and has always bugged me to to let him have it, take it of my hands.

Although we have already acquired a high spec 2011 RRS Loom and full ECU set a year or so back to create a bench test Jig that we have been using to develop our software for 2010 on models like the D4, it has now come time for me to purchase a 2010 on Vehicle.

However this time i am specifically looking for something in my favourite colour, Blue, and while my preference is for as light an interiour as possible, SWMBO insists on it Laughing

I also want as high an electronic spec as possible as a good starting point.

Amazingly, the initial purchase price is not so important within reason and value for money, although that does affect thebut Age and Mileage is.
The older and higher miles i can get the better.

The model is not important but if it is an RRS it really needs to be a TDV6 rather than a TDV8.

This is because of the import duties we pay here in Cyprus are based on the CC, with sub 3000 being levied at 5.14 GBP per CC and over 3000 being at 6.62 GBP.

2.7 = 13875 GBP
3.0 = 15500 GBP
3.6 = 19860 GBP

You then get 10 or 20% added depending on the C02 emmisions level.

You do however get some discount based on age and excessive mileage.

In consideration of several factors and unless anyone knows of something i don't, It is really now looking like i will be crossing to the Dark Side and getting an RRS instead of a D4.

There are a few reasons for this.

1) Current availiiblity of what suits us best
2) The market here is almost exclusively for the RRS, which will help greatly when i come to resell
3) Technically and electronically it is identical to a D4 if not typically higher spec
4) Having already owned a D3 it will be more of a change to have an RRS instead of a D4.
5) The loom and many parts i have that could be used in any future upgrade are RRS.
6) MY options to upgrade the Engine to even a supercharged Petrol is much greater.

I think i have already found what seems to be a suitible Vehicle, and am currently in negotiations for it.

Being colour coded Bali Blue and with the same wheels, it looks just like this on the outside

Click image to enlarge

And being Ivory leather looks like this on the inside.
Click image to enlarge

Over a standard RRS HSE, it already has a Heated steering wheel with Flappy Paddles, Logic 7 and surround Cameras.

I hope you will agree that it is a rather nice Land Rover and after it helps us with developing our software for all 2010 on models, which includes the D4 i will be itching to see what upgrades i can do on it, i already have some 2013 bits like a dual view screen etc.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #113374919th Jul 2013 6:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
2DISCO3ORNOT

Top colour combo Thumbs Up

Post #113375119th Jul 2013 7:02 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cheers 2DISCO3ORNOT

Yep, i think the Combo is certainly quite something.

It is not going to be easy to keep the leather clean especially, but then when has owning and maintaining any Land Rover been easy Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #113375319th Jul 2013 7:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
2DISCO3ORNOT

I given up worrying about the Alpaca its aging nicely just like the owner Whistle

Post #113376219th Jul 2013 7:33 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

You can of course only do so much age wise, but it is nice when it has at least clean wrinkles in it Laughing

Post #113377319th Jul 2013 8:02 pm
aljo

England 

nice choice of colour combo Colin Thumbs Up
 Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where,s the f**king ceiling!!

Post #113377419th Jul 2013 8:04 pm
A1GSS

England 

Best of luck with that leather colour....
 ____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey 

Post #113379219th Jul 2013 9:14 pm
Riccardo

Portugal 

great colour combo. Fantastic the interior if you do not use it Wink Laughing
 It takes all sorts (to make a world).

D3 HSE LHD gone but not forgotten 

Post #113379319th Jul 2013 9:25 pm
A1GSS

England 

Thumbs Up Looks fab though. Avoid jeans.
 ____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey 

Post #113379419th Jul 2013 9:27 pm
StornowayStu

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

A1GSS wrote:
Avoid jeans.

White jeans would be okay Thumbs Up

Post #113381620th Jul 2013 12:11 am
Gerd

Germany 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Colin,

Looks very nice Thumbs Up

Post #113391120th Jul 2013 1:55 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Nice colour Thumbs Up
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #113418021st Jul 2013 10:11 am
kp

United Kingdom 

Nice Colour combo Smile

When are you coming across to pick it up?

For cleaning i recommend Zymol and then gliptone especially in your climate Smile Nothing is quite as good at getting stains out as that stuff Smile
 FFRR Owner, very nearly became a D3 owner Smile
Test piloted a new D4 XS SDV6.. Gone and being forgotten i hope!!
D4 HSE 10MY
D4 XS 11MY
SSRR Destroyer *2 Smile 

Post #113422121st Jul 2013 1:34 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

A really appreciative cheers all.

This is actually a really bold and significant investment in the future for us, especially given the current economic crises we have here in Cyprus. As i have pointed out, the duties here make it Ridiculously expensive to own late Model Land Rovers.
For example i just checked out the deler pricing on a High end L405
Duty Free, it is 102,000 Euro, Duty paid it is 174,000 Euro Evil or Very Mad

I am really so glad to see that that so many also really like the colour combo i have chosen.

I am certainly feeling really pleased with my colour choices, even although i do not recall ever having seen a Bali Blue Land Rover and certainly not in Cyprus.
It is an odd fact that there are hardly any Discoveries at all here in Cyprus, i have only ever seen about a dozen in total with only one or two being D4's. Sports are much more common, but for some reason they are almost always, Black, Grey or White.

This seems odd to me as i think metallic colours, and especially exotic ones like Bali Blue really look their best in the sun, Indeed the pictures i have posted are not of my own actual vehicle, but borrowed from elsewhere, as mine were taken when it was overcast and do no justice to the colour at all.
The light interiour will also look better with the sun shining. In fact i may even tint the front side windows.

This oddity might be down to price, as when looking around, there were quite a few lower priced possibilities in less exotic colours or with dark interiours, that would have done the development part of the job. But i figured if i was going to be spending that kind of hard earned dosh, i may as well also treat myself to something with a bit more of a WOW factor. Also as i don't actually need the space and capability of the Disco, it will actually be nice to have a Sport for a change.

But although the body shape may be different from a D4, Technically, which is the important bit for me, it is absolutely identical to a D4 and i certainly intend to remain loyal to this forum and will post up here about any technical mods like it was a D4.

However, i will of course probably have to Pimp up the wheels, and add some Bling, as is the RRS owner tradition Rolling with laughter

I know that these light leathers can suffer from colour transfer from things like jeans, but i think dampness has a big part to play in this, so i am hoping to avoid too much trouble and stay on top of keeping it clean and resistant.

So many thanks for your advice kp Thumbs Up

I will likely not see the Vehicle myself until it actually arrives at our Offices in 2 or 3 months time, But i have a very good friend who i think knows a thing or two about Land Rovers, who will be checking it out for me, and hopefully applying one of his infamous Remaps to it before it gets shipped Bow down Bow down Bow down

Post #113434721st Jul 2013 8:32 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya folks

Sods law dictates that things are now looking a bit worrying about the vehicle i was ultimately hoping to get, or more accurately the company that has been offering it.

I can't currently find another in the same combo without a significant price hike, so i have been seriously looking into a Plan B.

There is a Black Sport available of the same age, but with slightly higher milage which i don't mind and means less duties, and although not having quite all the same Tech Toys, which i can almost certainly retro add myself, does at least have the right Ivory / Cream colour interiour and is already offered at 3K less which can likely be haggled down a bit more.

With my cost saving and past experience at this kind of thing, I could easily sort out a re paint in Bali Blue, or any other colur variant as i wish, however in these modern times, it seems that full Vinyl wrapping and the materials available to do this with has now come on such a really long way that this is the norm for absolutely transforming any Vehicles looks and you can now achive results that are to a level that is indistinguishable from paint and even to finishes that actually cannot be achieved with paint.

I could just go with a Metallic Blue finish, however if i an going to go down this route i may as well go the whole nine yards and in the Vinyl wrapping world there is something a bit more WOW than Bali Blue or other Paint colours in the form of Blue Chrome.

Here is but one example

Click image to enlarge

But if you google Blue Chrome and toggle to images you will see many examples.

However i do currently think this might be too much to fully do on an RRS, even if i left the Roof Black or did this part and some other bits in a Black Carbon fibre. Perhaps i might do my Mercedes SL with it.

Other options are a Blue carbon fibre effect, some in 3D and with a matching texture that can be felt.
Again lots of images of this on Google.

I could trust doing this to others but there are tons of tutorials about how to do this and anyone can have a go with almost nothing to loose, and i do prefer to do most things myself, so perhaps my the first mod i will post up about is doing a Vinyl wrap.

Post #113519123rd Jul 2013 6:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >