Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

My steering is wonky
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
DirtyDisco

2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

I would say that having any part of the shaft replaced could very well cause the problems dependent upon what else is disturbed whilst fitting. For example are the track rods removed? If it is two piece and connected by splines then there are three joints capable of producing an issue. If the joints have dissimilar numbers of splines then a 5 degree error could be achieved by a combination of misalignments.
 Serial Depreciation Victim

07 D3 TDV6 HSE. Side Steps. Privacy. TV. Stornoway + Alpaca. 

Post #1352774th Mar 2007 6:26 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Cheers.

Will have them adjust it back in whatever means they need to use.

I'm more interested in what could be causing the extra sensitivity in the steering. Almost like its too light sometimes.

Never a problem handling wise at all. Just going straight ahead on b roads and lanes... seems to want to wander way more than it used to when the surface is not smooth. Its starting to feel like the Freelander 1 Shocked Even SWMBO has noticed its not as 'secure' as it used to be.

Does feel like the wheels and steering are slightly disconnected.

Would the ARB bushes cause this or just the clunking I'm getting ?

Post #1352824th Mar 2007 6:34 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

DirtyDisco wrote:
Hate to disagree with you Winger old chap, but removing the steering wheel is not the answer. If the wheel is five degrees out then you would need 72 (360/5) splines in order to be able to solve the problem. I am not familiar with D3 mechanicals but would be amazed if there were even half that many splines on the steering column... i.e it would be even further out the other way if moved by just one spline. As per my previous post the tracking may be perfect, what is required is to adjust the track rod lengths in order to move both wheels to the right by the same amount to correct the problem. This could be done with two spanners and no other gear as long as the number of turns are made the same each side. One will be a left handed thread, at least if things have not changed since i used to enjoy getting underneath cars.

No problem with you disagreeing, but suggest you take a look at TSB LA211-001V2 then.

I don't disagree with your conjecture about the adjustment of the track rod, but the +/- tolerance on it isn't enough to deal with what is described. The factory sends the vehicles out with the wheel centred +/- 3 degrees as an accepted nominal tolerance.

If the alignment error is less than ±3°, no further action should be required.

Once the wheel has been removed, and realigned, then the front geometry and steering sensor needs to be checked.

That's what needs to be done, and perhaps Cecil would like to point his dealer to the TSB mentioned.

As I am familiar with D3 mechanicals, and have had this problem with mine too, you can be sure that I am no just making this up................

Post #1353624th Mar 2007 8:32 pm
DirtyDisco

2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

I appear to have upset you. This was not my intention. I have no idea what a TSB number is...the only TSB I know about is a high street bank. I don't recall suggesting that you are making anything up.

Bearing in mind 3 to 3.5 turns of the steering wheel (say 1000 degrees) equals 100 degrees (guess) of wheel movement lock to lock then I would be amazed if there is not sufficient adjustment to move the road wheels by the required half degree required to rectify the problem.

Given your familiarity of D3 mechanicals I would like to know how many splines there are on the steering wheel. You will need 45 to move the wheel 8 degrees and stay on the edge of the tolerence the other way to the current problem.

I look forward to your reply.
 Serial Depreciation Victim

07 D3 TDV6 HSE. Side Steps. Privacy. TV. Stornoway + Alpaca. 

Post #1354424th Mar 2007 10:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >