Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Johnsons rods
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Lrbutch

Belgium 2005 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3
Johnsons rods

If i put on the Johnson rods, will the suspension not become to hard ? En in extended mode ( + 2,5" ) will the compressor not overload ?
Anyone who use these rods and what can you tell about them ?

Thx,
Stefaan
Belgium

Post #110778423rd May 2013 7:04 pm
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I don't have Johnson rods but I do have an IID Tool which I used to raise my suspension by around 1 inch. The suspension does not become hard. On the contrary, I find it slightly softer when raised. Regarding extended mode, you will not overload the compressor much at all. It's job is to fill the air tank. Regardless of how high you raise the car, it will still only fill the air tank to a specified pressure. It might have to work for a few extra seconds after raising the car as the air springs draw more air from the tank compared to normal, due to the greater volume of air in the springs.

What you will be affecting more than the compressor is the propeller shafts and CV joints, which are forced to work at a greater angle due to the raise.

Honestly I prefer the IID Tool route. I raised my car 20mm with it (hopefully a good compromise between increased ground clearance and CV joint life) and there is another 20mm or so before I reach the upper limit of the ECU calibration values. Yes it is less than the Johnson rods raise, and it does cost twice as much as the rods, but it is reversible in around 30 seconds, and you also get full fault code reading/clearing and live values and some CCF editing. Thumbs Up
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #110780723rd May 2013 7:52 pm
Discoed

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

IID tool is ace - I have one to accommodate my 265/70/17 AT2 - quick and simple to adjust Thumbs Up

Post #110781123rd May 2013 7:56 pm
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Same tyre size here Discoed. They JUST fit without the raise (tiny amount of rubbing at extremes) but it looks so much better with the raise Thumbs Up
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #110781323rd May 2013 7:57 pm
mx468

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Lux Auto Tonga GreenLR3

I have the rock armor ones and they work great. (http://www.british4x4outfitters.com/LR3LR4RRS-25-Rock-Armor-Lift-Rod-Kit-P22605.aspx) You can accommodate larger tires and they are adjustable. Also they are made out of stainless steel and pretty beefy. One thing you will need to do is get your alignment done. You can sign up with Sullivan Tire here in the states for $199 and they will service your alignment on your truck for the life of your ride. What a deal. I also run nitto terra grapplers 285/60/R18 and there is no rubbing at all. Truck looks great and handles great, can't even tell the difference really on the road except i'm riding higher Smile
 Narpy's Grill Mod, Suspension Rods, Ultra guage, wrangler Goodyear duratracs 265/60/18, new thermostat, diff oils changed, brake switch new, aluminum rack floor, LED driving lights in foglights, rear camera, just need gvif unit, next on list! New front arb bushings, new front valve block, 191,000 miles.  
Post #110792423rd May 2013 11:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >