DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Aftermarket wheels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jonno

United Kingdom 
Aftermarket wheels

Hi All,

A couple of quick questions from a new user in Oz - I've done a search and not found much!

1) What's the availability of aftermarket wheels like in the UK? I've got a TDV6 SE on order which comes with 18" rims as standard, is it possible to get hold of smaller diameter wheels for off-road use, together with suitable Mud tyres?

2) Are wheels interchangeable with other Landrovers, e.g. Range Rover, or are the stud patterns / offsets all wrong

3) Does anyone know if the snorkel fitted to tha G4 Disco 3 is going to be available to the public / does anyone yet make a snorkel for the D3?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks in advance,

Jonno Smile
Post #1231716th Aug 2005 7:39 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Hi Jonno, welcome to the site Thumbs Up

1) Zero, Zilch, none available unless you want to go for 22" Bling wheels that may or may not have the correct load rating. The G4 mud tyres are around for the 19" wheels but don't know how easy they are to get hold of. There should be some all-terrains appearing towards the end of the year or early next year

2) It appears not, even the RRS wheels are different

3) The G4 snorkel is made my Mantec, its not on general availablity yet (there's some pitures of it from Billing in Martins gallery http://disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=70) but frankly I'd wait for something a bit better looking to appear

Simon
 The End  
Post #1231916th Aug 2005 10:49 am
BN

England 

Just to add to that, down your part of the world there are some tyres, but they are not necessarily legal in the UK, so not imported. Check out the Australian guys in that section and ask them, they have a couple more than we do now.

Post #1238216th Aug 2005 7:42 pm
Lex

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Johnno check out the" Performance " wheel range. I have fitted the 17" 5 spoke version to my vehicle. I forget it's name but the carrying capacity is actually greater than my standard 18" wheel. I then fitted Cooper Discoverer STT tyres which are fabulous offroad but noisy. You may find the ST a better choice if you plan on leaving them on for around town use.
 TDV6 HSE Zambezi/Tundra  
Post #1256017th Aug 2005 9:07 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Lex wrote:
Johnno check out the" Performance " wheel range. I have fitted the 17" 5 spoke version to my vehicle. I forget it's name but the carrying capacity is actually greater than my standard 18" wheel. I then fitted Cooper Discoverer STT tyres which are fabulous offroad but noisy. You may find the ST a better choice if you plan on leaving them on for around town use.

Johno,

Likewise. I've got Performance 17*8 BB6 rims. Load rating is higher than the std 18" LR wheel. They have 35mm offset as opposed to the 48mm offset but there are no clearance problems.

If you go for the Performance wheel make sure they make it with a small centre like the existing LR wheel and the stud holes are made for the D3.

I've got Cooper Discoverer ST LT245/70R17. I didn't go for the new STT mud tyre due to the noise but now I think about it I should have gone with the STT like Lex because I've been stuck twice and the muddies might have got me through.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #1261817th Aug 2005 1:41 pm
Discovery343

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Aftermarket wheels

Hi Jonno,
Like some others here, I have fitted "Performance" BB-6 wheels with Cooper St 17/245/70 tyres. These will get me most places in Tasmania without drama. The spare fits well underneath as well. The new studs are 21mm so you will need a new wheel wrench as the originals and the drop down for the spare are 22mm.
 05 Discovery 3 SE TDV6 Chawton White with roof rails, driving lights, steel side protection rails. Rego: DISCO3  
Post #1958425th Sep 2005 7:21 am
BN

England 
Re: Aftermarket wheels

Discovery343 wrote:
Hi Jonno,
Like some others here, I have fitted "Performance" BB-6 wheels with Cooper St 17/245/70 tyres. These will get me most places in Tasmania without drama. The spare fits well underneath as well. The new studs are 21mm so you will need a new wheel wrench as the originals and the drop down for the spare are 22mm.

Is there aweb site for the wheels?

Post #1958625th Sep 2005 8:41 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

BN wrote:
Discovery343 wrote:
Hi Jonno,

Is there aweb site for the wheels?

Here you go.

http://www.performancewheels.com.au/4wd.htm

Just remember the ugly big 4WD centres can be made with a small center like the LR wheels

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #1960025th Sep 2005 11:45 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Geez those wheel are ugly... personally I see no reason to change the LR design wheels... only reason I could see would be if you needed hardcore off road tyres and wheels to match.

I managed to put some nice swirly scratches on my passenger side rear wheel during the Tixover fun... but hey. Battle scars I see them as and if I was really fussy would swap the spare over.

I'm sure the scratches can be fixed if I paid someone though. Will wait until all four need a good clean and de-scratch though.

-s

Post #1960125th Sep 2005 12:02 pm
Discovery343

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Aftermarket wheels

There are actually 2 different BB-D "Performance" wheels. Have a look in my gallery. They look sweet on the car,
 05 Discovery 3 SE TDV6 Chawton White with roof rails, driving lights, steel side protection rails. Rego: DISCO3  
Post #1965325th Sep 2005 9:42 pm
BN

England 

Discovery343 wrote:
There are actually 2 different BB-D "Performance" wheels. Have a look in my gallery. They look sweet on the car,

Yes nice wheels

Post #1965525th Sep 2005 10:01 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

simon wrote:
Geez those wheel are ugly... personally I see no reason to change the LR design wheels... only reason I could see would be if you needed hardcore off road tyres and wheels to match.

I managed to put some nice swirly scratches on my passenger side rear wheel during the Tixover fun... but hey. Battle scars I see them as and if I was really fussy would swap the spare over.

I'm sure the scratches can be fixed if I paid someone though. Will wait until all four need a good clean and de-scratch though.

-s

This seems to be a problem with the LR wheels, I to have badly scratched the rear wheels, probably by cutting corners (According to Vince).

However, the LR wheels are not dished at all, and the alloy shiny bit is not protected by the tyre, especially if driving in ruts. On a dished wheel, the tyre would clear the mud/shingle away from the alloy, on the D3 wheels the alloy is at the same level as the edge of the tyre.

I will have to get some paint and touch them up soon, or the salt will get under the laquer.

Post #1967125th Sep 2005 10:31 pm
BN

England 

None of the standard wheels are really good for off road.

Post #1967425th Sep 2005 10:37 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

I managed to badly scratch two of my alloys (even took a small chunk out of one of them) whilst off road in my previous discovery (TD5 ES). They do 'smart repairs' at my dealership, so I asked them if they could do anything with them. After they had done them you couldnt tell they had been damaged and even better they only charged me £15 per wheel.
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #1967825th Sep 2005 10:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

BN wrote:
None of the standard wheels are really good for off road.
Agreed if you want to keep them looking good, though as Woody points out alloy repairs can be cheaper than you'd think Shocked
As soon as the steel ones become available I'll be happy Very Happy
 The End  
Post #1968125th Sep 2005 10:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >