Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Cross Bars Fitting Query / Choice.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Centaur

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Cross Bars Fitting Query / Choice.

I've recently changed my car for a D4 and will need some cross bars to fit my Thule Atlantis 900 (long, wide) roof box.

The choice I've come down to is either the standard Land Rover cross bars or a set of Prorack Whispbars. I've had a set of Whispbars before and was pleased with them, as they are virtually silent even at speed and have a cleverly recessed rubber in the T-track that avoids having to cut / remove the push-in rubber insert (as per the Land Rover items).

Having looked at the fitting instructions for the Land Rover bars, it appears that they should be mounted 750mm apart and relatively central on the tracks. However, the tracks themselves have cut-outs along their length, suggesting that the bars can be mounted wherever convenient.

By contrast, the Whispbar instructions suggest that the bars can be mounted anywhere along the track but with a minimum distance of 700mm apart.

My roof box instructions stipulate a minimum of 700mm spacing but even 750mm looks very close together, leaving long overhangs at either end. Being that the roof tracks are limited to a rather modest 75Kg, I don't want to overload them and would prefer to space the bars somewhat further apart.

This leaves me with the following two questions that I would be grateful of input from other owners:

1. How noisy are the Land Rover cross bars (without roof box), particularly at speed? Any comparisons with square bars, Thule Aerobars etc would be very useful! N.B. I know that they need the rubber inserts fitted to avoid loud whistles.

2. Does it matter where the bars are mounted, either for safety or for wind noise? I would ideally mount the forward bar in the first mounting position from the front and the rear bar in around the 2nd or 3rd cut-out from the back.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Post #109542628th Apr 2013 11:32 am
HJD

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another Rutland member! (I'm just over the border). I have just fitted some Thule Wingbars to my D4. Already had the bars so just needed to buy the feet pack. Otherwise might have gone for the LR originals. Pretty easy to fit the Thule bars though. Seemed fairly quiet when driving over the weekend. Have spaced mine quite far apart as I have a kayak to carry. But had also read the 750mm guidance. Not entirely sure what is behind that requirement - safety, roof loading etc???

Post #109610929th Apr 2013 4:16 pm
Centaur

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Thank you for your input HJD.

Whilst all the roof bar makers suggest that their bars can be carried over to your next car, I seem to have a garage full of square bars, Aerobars and Whispbars - none of which will fit my D4...!!! Having now had a trial run with the roof box balanced on a loose pair of bars, it would appear that either the Land Rover bars or the Whispbars should mount adequately to place the roof box where I want it (although with the bars further than 750mm apart).

I am tempted by the Whispbars, simply because they are so quiet and produce so little drag. If they are quiet enough with the sunroof open, I may be tempted to leave them permanently mounted - at least during the summer months.

I haven't tried the Wingbars but their asymmetric shape suggests that they ought to be pretty quiet too. However, they are about the same price as the Whispbars, so I would be inclined to stick with what I know.

I would be interested, though, to know just how noisy the Land Rover bars are. I suspect that they will be a fair bit noisier, if my Thule Aerobars are anything to go by, as they look to be similar in profile. I would still be interested in views of other owners but, in fairness, it's a rather subjective matter. Any input would be gratefully received though!

Post #109624929th Apr 2013 7:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >