Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Camera(s)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
mjom89

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Great idea M3DPO - I think I will give that one a go.

Has anyone powered the camera off of the parking sensors? That way they will come on when you select reverse, and not go off as soon as you select drive again. That might help if you had to move back and forth etc.

I was also hoping to be able to be able to put a switch in to allow me have the camera on when I wasn't in reverse - in case I wanted to constantly see behind me when towing for example. Any ideas on this?

Post #108668611th Apr 2013 3:13 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've got it set up that way, using a GVIF.
I'll look up my design and post the wiring this evening.

Regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #108670711th Apr 2013 4:00 pm
wvlenthe

Thumbs Up
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #108671811th Apr 2013 4:23 pm
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Re: Camera(s)

M3DPO wrote:
mjom89 wrote:
Is it possible for me to put a switch in a video cable?
Any thoughts?
Matthew

The possibility of a different approach to the problem, connect the cameras up with a 'Y' splitter on the ariel input and put a switch on the power feed to the cameras so that only one camera can be switched on by choice. Test it on a model set up before installing.

Like the sound of this method. Would one of these do the job to switch between two cameras.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rectangular-Rock...3f0ff6dd81

Also would be nice if it fitted in one of the blanks on the dash. Can you get a splitter for the wiring on the pre wired cameras does anyone know.

Would this do the job.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-2m-Metre-RCA-P...4162e45bdb

Andy

Post #108691411th Apr 2013 8:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Those links you've posted Andy may all come in handy and should be fine, but regarding the AV lead, make sure you've got the right female/male ends. It can get confusing. Shocked

Also, regarding putting a switch in a power lead, this'll only work if the camera is usually not powered. If you're running a forward facing recording camera for example, you'll need the switch to be in the AV line otherwise you'll be turning the power off to the camera when you really want it constantly live. Rolling Eyes

I'm going down the AV switcher route and going to see if I can build it in somewhere but still have it removable.
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #108710212th Apr 2013 10:31 am
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I think the AV splitter will be the route I take eventually as it is more of a plug and play from what I've seen. But whatever way you go jus need to have it all fitted nice and neat.

Was only going to fit 2 rear mounted cameras. One in the tailgate handle and one behind the towing electrics cover that I will only use when hitching the caravan up.

So thinking about it could put the unit in one of the glove boxes as its not like I will be switching between the 2 that often. Keep us posted on how you get on Narpy.

Thanks for the info so far

Andy

Post #108716412th Apr 2013 12:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Trigger4558

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up

Post #108717012th Apr 2013 12:41 pm
Narpy

Ok, here's an update.
I bought myself one of these:

Available here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221180530692?ssP...1438.l2649

I've currently got it slaved in place in the lower glove box:

That's a bit rough and ready but it does work superbly. I can select between forward facing recording camera, and sat nav with reverse camera ( which powers up when I select reverse ). It really does work very well. The good news however, is the selector switch box is held together with 4 screws so can be ripped apart easily and only contains a selector switch directly wired to the relevant ports.
I've had all the centre console out today inclu the ashtray and the two 12v sockets and had a good look around and to be honest, I couldn't find a suitable location for integrating the selector that wouldn't involve drastic changes. That was until I realised this is a prime candidate:

There's just enough room under that blanking plate to incorporate the selector switch. The selector looks like this with the knob removed:

and is then just wired to each of the AV ports. I reckon I can fix the switch to the blanking plate and hide everything inside the centre console. Hopefully will look like this when complete:

Pretty neat eh?
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Long Roof Rails

Post #108727112th Apr 2013 4:52 pm
wvlenthe

There is room in the front of the centre cubby. Those forward-sticking parts are hollow. So if you need to hide some equipment, you can do it there.

Wiljo
Post #108732612th Apr 2013 7:09 pm
mjom89

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Thanks for the diagram wvlenthe - that's makes sense.

Has anyone managed to take a feed from the rear Parking sensors?

Post #108735812th Apr 2013 8:10 pm
Tufty

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Wvlenthe

How do you get on with your caravan receiver? We were discussing them a while back in a different thread and the general opinion seemed not very good. How far apart are your transmitter and receiver when hitched up? Where did it come from?

Cheers

Narpy

At the end or the day your switch is a low loss selector switch with 3 (possibly 6) gangs, for a camera you only need 1 or 2 gangs (depending if you bother switching the signal ground, which you probably don't need to do) as there is no need for sound.

I'd imagine any decent 2 way switch would do the job?

Post #108736512th Apr 2013 8:20 pm
Narpy

You're right of course Tufty but I think it's also all about doing a clean, plug+play install and the E-Bay sourced selector allows this. It also means you're not soldering cables and switches, which is fine if you're comfortable with that, but most want an easy, straight forward mod. Wink
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Long Roof Rails

Post #108754013th Apr 2013 11:31 am
wvlenthe

Tufty wrote:
Wvlenthe

How do you get on with your caravan receiver? We were discussing them a while back in a different thread and the general opinion seemed not very good. How far apart are your transmitter and receiver when hitched up? Where did it come from?

Cheers

Hi Tufty,

I purchased the whole setup with hids4u.

As Ian warned me about the distance between sender and receiver, I routed a power and video cable to the front of the caravan and sticked the sender in the front part of the caravan where the gas bottles are, high up so it will not get any spray/dirt though the holes there. The whole constructions there is plastic so no signal blocking from metal coverings. I connected the power of the receiver and the camera to the 12v vehicle live so they are both powered when hooked up to the vehicle but not when connected to the 240V system of the camping site.

I put the receiver in the headlining above the upper tail gate, so effectively the sender and receiver are about 2m apart to my estimate. I can switch the receiver on with a switch situated on the front of the centre cubby.

The camera I have on the back of the 'van is of lower image quality than the r/v camera in the tailgate handle with not as wide a viewing angle. It is at the height of the upper brake light, so supposedly about 2m from the ground. The camera can be tilted so I set it in a manner that I can see just a very small strip of the caravan body. As it is mounted high up, I cannot see far behind the caravan. But I intended it to use for maneuvering anyway.

As you can see from the scheme posted above, I have modified the cabling so I can select any camera input when on the move.

When moving, the sender/receiver combination gets some interference from somewhere. It causes the images to flicker a bit. When standing still or driving at very low speed, this interference is absent. I cannot see the cause of this but have not put much effort in finding it either. As I mainly use it for maneuvering, it doesn't disturb me.

If I had to install the whole system again, I would choose a wider angle camera for the 'van which would allow me to view oncoming traffic. And if I would, I would also want to dig into the interference problem because it could get annoying when looking back for traffic.

This is the only thing I would change though, all in all I am very satisfied with the setup and it does exactly what I want it to.

If you need any more info on this, I'll be happy to give it!

Regards,

Wiljo
Post #108786614th Apr 2013 10:43 am
iand3

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Forgive me for asking but why on earth do you need two rear camers on the back of the disco? Surely if you mount a single camera in the right place it will do both jobs? Thats what i've done on my last two discoveries and intend to do on thsi one? Messing with video splitters and haveing two cameras looking in the same place sounds crazy to me!

Perhaps its me? Rolling Eyes

Post #110805124th May 2013 11:18 am
wvlenthe

iand3 wrote:
Forgive me for asking but why on earth do you need two rear camers on the back of the disco? Surely if you mount a single camera in the right place it will do both jobs? Thats what i've done on my last two discoveries and intend to do on thsi one? Messing with video splitters and haveing two cameras looking in the same place sounds crazy to me!

Perhaps its me? Rolling Eyes

The standard reversing camera that clicks into the number plate light will not show the towbar as it is pointed just over that. So in order to use it as a hitch cam, you must estimate where your towbar is. As it is also mounted off-center, you also need to direct the caravan hitch to somewhere near the right hard button under the nav screen. If you do this by use of the camera, you must take the wide-angle fisheye characteristic in account...

All in all, I never get it right and plan to mount an extra camera Very Happy .

What camera have you used which lets you see both?

Regards,

Wiljo
Post #110827424th May 2013 7:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >