Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Chuffed - Changed my Aircon Condenser - Thanks to ..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Chuffed - Changed my Aircon Condenser - Thanks to ..

Facing a £500 LR dealer bill to change the condenser, I decided to do it myself. Eight hours later it is done and all parts accounted for. A few people to thank on here.

TLO for supplying the condenser with a discount for Forum membership. Great service as always, delivered next day.

Nek17 who provided the "How to guide" that gave me the confidence to start and without which we would never have worked out what to remove in which order. As it was, we could not do it without removing the Coolant Filler bottle. Wish we had done that sooner, could have saved time.

That was where a post from Disco Mikey told us to clamp the pipe to save draining down. Simple, but it was a great time saver.

Back to the How To Guide and we had it all apart, However we could not get the bottom of the radiator on nearside to lift and move towards the engine. Not sure why! Perhaps not enough flex in all the pipes connected that side, Fortunately there was just enough movement to get the old condenser out and the new one in.

At one point we thought we would not be able to finish or get it all back together - it was a nice thought that Geoff had said he would pop around one evening if we got stuck. Thanks Geoff, but looks like not needed on this occasion.

So what did I learn. You need
- patience
- a son that holds lights and torches, reaches tools you left out of reach and helps solve access problems
- support from members experience on this forum
- a good 1/4 inch socket set (small one) with extension bars and sockets up to 13mm
- viscous fan removal tool
- if you are going to all this trouble and know you are going to keep the vehicle, think about preventative maintenance. Things like Intercooler hose and coolant hoses

I now have to wait to check for any leaks from all the pipes and connections I pushed and pulled. Next week I will get the aircon regassed (free) to see if there was just the one leak (bottom of condenser on offside at front).

Time for a long soak in the bath.

Thanks to those that helped even though they were probably oblivious Thumbs Up Oh and to my son who experienced the pain and relief Thumbs Up
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #110557618th May 2013 8:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >