Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Sirius Radio plug and play
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
rockjock

2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3
Sirius Radio plug and play

Having gotten tired of all the nonstop talking between songs on my local FM stations, and having checked out the specs of the audio system on the LR GTR website, I decided to give a plug and play satellite radio a try. I really don't have any hope of LR offering a retrofit on the SDAR's tuner, based on what my dealer tells me (but he doesn't know as much about the truck as I do). If you look at the schematics for the system, it shows the telephone and SDAR's tuner sharing the same antenna, but the lines to the amp and head unit are all dashed and they plainly state "LRWILLbe using Sirius". Anyhow, I installed the antenna on the back roof of the truck in a similar location as the GPS antenna. I then ran the antenna cable down the side of the weatherstripping until I could go behind the rear signal light assembly. I passed the cable through the grommet that the trailer light harness goes thru, I could then run the cable behind the rear quater panel trim coming out near where the second row seating seatbelt attaches. I then pulled the cable down along the sill plates, pushing underneath the carpeting. Push the cable underneath the carpet edge where the carpet ends above the gas/brake pedals in the footwell. I then pulled off the trim around the radio and pulled the cable up behind the lower portions of the center console and removed the rubber matting immediately in front of the gear selector. It is a tight fit, but you can then pull cables such that only the ends protrude below the accessory & cigar plugs, that way you don't have cabling exposed coming up the side of the center console. As I run an Apple ipod also, I ran the cable for the aux input on the back of the center consol to the front of the center console in a similar fashion, it just makes a neater looking setup. The hardest part was getting the courage to remove the trim around the radio, you just have to grab on both sides at the bottom and apply steady pressure. I have pics of the final result if anyone is interested.
 was 00 D2 > then 04 D2 > now 05 LR3  
Post #1195914th Aug 2005 8:47 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Sounds very good this, but what is the SDAR?

Post #1196314th Aug 2005 8:55 pm
rockjock

SDAR is a satellite radio (subscription) serrvice. I think it is just a NA thing, it offers numerous channels from music of very variety, to talk (I can now get BBC anytime) to sports radio. It is becoming a very popular service in the US, I still can't believe with what LR gets for these trucks in the US with the currency exchange that "extras" like this didn't make it into production.
Post #1199014th Aug 2005 9:59 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Ahh, I think maybe its the same as the new Digital radio we have, which is now starting to take over from FM. It is known as DAB (digital audio broadcast) over here.

Post #1199314th Aug 2005 10:01 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

DAB is still a terrestrial broadcast as far as I'm aware, no doubt we'll get satellite radio at some point, and HDTV would be nice too. Satellite radio is available via Sky but it's not possible to get a radio only decoder as far as I know
 The End  
Post #1203515th Aug 2005 8:47 am
grommet

United States 

rockjock wrote:
SDAR is a satellite radio (subscription) serrvice. I think it is just a NA thing, it offers numerous channels from music of very variety, to talk (I can now get BBC anytime) to sports radio. It is becoming a very popular service in the US, I still can't believe with what LR gets for these trucks in the US with the currency exchange that "extras" like this didn't make it into production.
Range Rover and Range Rover Sport, the LR3's evil twin, has Sirius available now (North America). It's really quite silly they don't offer it on '06 LR3 since '06 RRS does -- it's the same head unit core and controls.  
Post #1204015th Aug 2005 9:16 am
tdmathis

I'd like to see the pictures. So, are you still using a Sirius unit to receive the SAT radio?

-Tim
 01 DII, 05LR3/D3  
Post #1212015th Aug 2005 2:14 pm
rockjock

Grommet, are you the one that fitted Nitto's and posted pics on another board? If so what size did you fit? Any rubbing yet? Sorry to change the topic of the thread, we can start another if needed. tdmathis, I'll try to post pics tonight.
Post #1215315th Aug 2005 5:01 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

rockjock wrote:
Grommet, are you the one that fitted Nitto's and posted pics on another board? If so what size did you fit? Any rubbing yet? Sorry to change the topic of the thread, we can start another if needed. tdmathis, I'll try to post pics tonight.

Ahem.... Off Topic Off Topic Off Topic

sorry, always wanted to do that Thumbs Up

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #1215415th Aug 2005 5:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
funkeruski

United States 

Rock, I am also about to go the Sirius plug and play route. Are you using an FM Modulator or are you going through the aux input? Also, did you hard wire it for power...I prefer not to use the cig. lighter plug for power. I think I'm going to try to hard wire for power and then run a cable to plug into the aux input in the rear. If I want to listen to my Ipod, I'll just unplug the Sat. radio and plug in the Ipod. Send me pics of your setup if you don't mind. Email is funkeruski@aol.com. Thanks.

Post #1232516th Aug 2005 12:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >