Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Roof Bars. LR or Thule or another?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
freebie2disco

United Kingdom 
Roof Bars. LR or Thule or another?

I know this topic has been covered before but the posts were a little difficult to follow as for some reason the threads seem always to end up with recommendations to move to a expedition rack, which would be nice but not an option at the moment.
I am after a set of roof bars for my 07 D3 with factory fitted roof rails. They will be for occasional use but I might want to fit a box on at some time.
What is best to go for, the LR one's, made by Thule or the Thule ones made by Thule. I can see LR ones on the fleabay for £110 plus postage and I can find a couple of places that claim they have the Thule ones for about £150. Are the Thule own brand ones that much better than the ones they make for LR? In the past I have always used cheapy Halfords own brand which have been fine for what I needed them for but they do not seem to making them for the D3.
And is £110 plus £10pp a good price.

Post #1272213rd Feb 2007 10:43 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

£110 for the LR is pretty good. You can't get a Thule on in the UK unless you "bend" the order as Thule UK state the kit has been withdrawn for safety reasons, following reports of the rack detaching. It may be true but I smell a rat, as LR have a habit of bringing pressure to bear on their OEM suppliers to not sell matching unbranded kit (just look at the Mantec underbody protection for an example). I think you need foot kit 4701, but personally, although I'm dubious, I would err on the side of caution.

That aside, I just took delivery of a set of Atera aero bars for £100. Very impressed with the quality after 20 years of only every using Thule (once had some Paddy Hopkirk bars and took them straight back when I saw the poor quality). I got mine from here http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4...odid=16867

The reason I didn't get the LR one is that the Atera has wider bars and accepts Thule and Atera "T Bar" accessories, such as the T-bar mounts I have for my NorthCape roofbox. I also prefer bars that overhang the legs, giving extra width and a convenient extra lashing point if needed.

Hope this helps! (and yes, I too would like an expo rack one day, just not yet!)
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #1272263rd Feb 2007 10:56 pm
freebie2disco

United Kingdom 

Cheers NoDo$h I looked at those but had no experience of that manufacturer. I also like the overhang.

Post #1272303rd Feb 2007 11:04 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

The Atera bars don't have a locking end cap, instead relying on a security torx key, but frankly anyone that keen on getting your bars is going to have it away with your Thule ones too, especially as Thule make a big thing of being able to match you keys/locks based on the very visible number on the lock facing.

The bars seem more substantial than the Thule ones I had for my 156 Sportwagon (slightly deeper and wider) and while initial setup of the bars is a 15 minute job, once you've got the feet set up it's a couple of minutes to mount and remove them.

I used to do a lot of whitewater kayaking all over the UK and regularly travel to the Alps with a roofbox and have always taken roofbars seriously. Slightly fiddly first-fit aside, I'm very impressed with these Atera ones. Mr. Green
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #1272373rd Feb 2007 11:19 pm
chesters

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I have Atera Roof bars and they have been great. i did 2660 miles around France with 3 Kayaks on top with no probs. As for locks I had a 3 m wire cable around the whole lot and padlocked them together, around the bars.

See my gallery for pics.
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #1272413rd Feb 2007 11:43 pm
Dave

United Kingdom 

The Arctic Frost looks real good in your pics chesters. Thumbs Up

Post #1272704th Feb 2007 12:46 am
chesters

Thanks for that CrazyDave.
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #1273034th Feb 2007 9:53 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I'm sure the LR fitted rails came with the bars as part of the option ???

Don't remember ordering the bars as a separate item when I specced up the D3 Confused

Post #1273044th Feb 2007 9:58 am
chesters

I did not get bars with my factory fit rails they were extra.
Post #1273114th Feb 2007 10:13 am
rafa

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi,
a month ago I had to decide what to buy. My experience with Thule has been very good in several cars, and I have many accessories for Thule roof racks. I went to see the LR racks and I decided to buy the Thule ones, as any of the accessories would fit on the LR racks..
Here in Spain Thule does not include racks for Disco3 in their catalog, but I asked for each part to the vendor. The installation was very easy using the LR rails.
I have been using it for 6 pairs of skis and it seems to be very solid. What is impressive is how quickly you can detach the roof bars, keeping a very small base permanently in the roof rail. To uninstall the bar just unlock with the key, press a button and it's out.
 Regards

Rafa 

Post #1273604th Feb 2007 1:50 pm
Nash

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Rafa, sound good. Can you post exacly wich references of Thule you had to buy?
I've also the LR rack.

- Adaptors?
- Bars.....lenghth/shape/reference...
- Any other...?

Could you post a picture of wich is this small base that remains in the rail when you remove the bars?

Thanks!.
PD: Rafa...are you also in the spanish CLRTT forum?.
 Nacho

DISCOVERY3 TDV6 HSE Zambezzi 

Post #1275815th Feb 2007 9:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Rhino rack do some but I cannot be sure if they only fit their roof rails or LR one as well. I'll ring 'em tomorow and find out. Smile
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #1275885th Feb 2007 9:59 am
rafa

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Nash,
This are the references:
-Thule 4700 Footpack
-Thule 4710 Adaptor kit
-Thule 769 (square profile bars) or 869 (aero profile) 135 cm bars

In my case I bought the square profile bars.

The base that remains in the roof rail measures 8 cm long 3-4 cm high.
Some pictures:
http://rlliso.spaces.live.com/photos/?_c02_owner=1

Sorry I don't know how to make this link active, so copy/paste

For fitting instructions go to Thule's web page and look for Thule 4710 Rapid Tracker

Por cierto, desconozco el foro que me comentas... dame la dirección y entro
 Regards

Rafa 

Post #1278295th Feb 2007 11:12 pm
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

I've got a Yakima roof rack system & like it. Lots of attachments for this as well.

Here's a reference link, I don't know distributor of these in the Motherland though.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/CTK.cfm
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #1278506th Feb 2007 12:41 am
Nash

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

@rafa

Thank you for the information and pictures.
Once i read that if you let this pieces for a long time in its position you can have troubles to remove it and it was a good idea to put some sylicone or other product at first to avoid that problem.

The spanish forum is:
http://www.clublandrovertt.org
Is not only a D3 one, is a Land Rover one.. but in Discovery section we are becoming a few D3. French owners also have Landmania...but of coures, the most information of D3 is here. Spanish one is local complementary.

Best regards.
 Nacho

DISCOVERY3 TDV6 HSE Zambezzi 

Post #1278996th Feb 2007 11:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >