Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Terrain Response system
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Frisak

Norway 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Terrain Response system

Does anyone know what the Terrain Response system do with the differentials, throttle response, air suspension, ABS, DSC, gearbox etc in the particular modes?

I know that in “snow mode” the throttle response get different and it sometimes start in 2nd gear. But exactly what is happening in the particular modes?

Does the antiskid get turn off in “sandmode” and will the suspension get softer?

I have searched the internet for this information, but I can’t find it? I would think this is relevant information for everyone that like to use the “tool” to the fully end:)

Click image to enlarge
 - Land Rover Discovery 3 2.7 V6 TDI HSE
- Audi S4 2.7 V6 Biturbo
- (x) Audi urquattro Sport (87' mod) 450 hp
- (x) Audi urquattro (81' mod)
- (x) Audi GT Coupe (84' mod) 

Post #12575131st Jan 2007 12:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

LR have never published the full TR mappings (probably for sound commercial reasons) There is some good descriptive material available on GTR though...
In general, TR changes the behaviour of the following systems
Engine control
Suspension - faster or slower crossvalve locking and auto height change in some modes
ABS - which is also the functional component in the HDC and TC systems
Auto gearbox gearchange thresholds
Centre (and optional rear) progressive differential locking
Note that DSC behaviour is not controlled by TR and must be manually switched 'off' by the driver, although in reality, this doesn't truly switch it off but just raises the threshold where it will cut in

Post #12575731st Jan 2007 12:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Nice pic by the way.

I find (being an off road Sheep ) that its best to take for granted what TR does, turn off DSC and drive with a light throttle unless more power is needed. Select the appropriate setting of course for the terrain ahead.

Seems to work and so far (I will regret this) have only needed a tow once on a very muddy and rutted track.

Post #12576231st Jan 2007 1:04 pm
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Frisak - I don't know where it came from but this PDF gives a bit more than the owner manual.

Terrain Response PDF (abt 1.4 MB)

HTH, Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #12576531st Jan 2007 1:14 pm
lawman

I don't understand the PDF instructions for eg snow where it says the lockers are on. I have front and rear lockers and, in the recent snow, put TR in snow mode and booted the throttle on a private road. Whether the car was stationary, struggling for grip, or just driving with grip there was no sign on the 4x4 info' screen of any red closed padlocks. Am I missing something here?

Post #12578831st Jan 2007 2:47 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

In our "old technology" L200 on snow we can gun the living daylights out of it and it will just go straight without a fuss. It's got a difflock, but have only needed to use it once on a steep gradient of mixed fresh snow, packed snow and sheet ice.

If the lockers don't need to come on, they won't . As I understand it, the different TR progs simply enable the sensitivity of the diffs to varying degrees. If you booted the D3 on fresh snow it simply wouldn't have needed the diffs to lock as it is reasonably grippy for traction. It's packed snow and ice that will have the red padlocks flashing up on the display.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #1262111st Feb 2007 5:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >