Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

What's that smell?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Johnhe

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3
What's that smell?

I've smelled it before in 1,500 mile of ownership, but no where near as noticable. After a 100-mile run into the mountains, it was very apparent --- the right front wheel well smelled something like a mix between slipping/burning clutch and overheated brakes (not like odor from new vehicle break-in).

There was also a wiff of smoke or steam coming from the back area of the wheel well where the frame trails down alongside the rocker panel (and just inboard of the mud flap).

My 2006 HSE has automatic transmission and I hadn't been riding the brakes. I checked both front discs, and could touch both immediately after stopping with neither hotter than the other.

That said, has anyone noticed a similiar smell in that area? Are there electronics or fluids running too close to the exhaust there?

Thx in advance!

Post #12243321st Jan 2007 5:25 pm
davesimmons

Canada 

could be fuel burning heater working Shocked

Post #12245221st Jan 2007 7:16 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

No FBH on the 4.8
Is there more brake dust on the wheel than on the other side?
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #12245321st Jan 2007 7:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

more likely to be the catalytic converter being given a good work-out, mountain driving can really get things up to temp, together with the additional fuel required due to the drop in available oxygen. did you hear a 'ticking' sound when you stopped? if so, this would indicate it's exhaust related as the ticking noise is caused by the exhaust cooling down and contracting

Post #12245521st Jan 2007 7:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Johnhe

Washed it up yesterday and didn't notice more brake dust than usual or more than on the left front wheel...although, vehicle had a good layer of filth overall. Also didn't notice a drag when coasting or a pull to right which, I guess, would have been the case if the right front caliper wasn't releasing.

Regarding the cat converter, that's a good thought...I've smelled the rotten egg smell from early generation cats and this might have been closer to that than brake or clutch. Didn't notice more ticking than what's typical for this vehicle (which is more than any other European, Janpanese or American car I've owned in the past).

Honestly, I could live without cat coverters altogether if the vehicle would pass emissions testing (old school in that regard vs. as environmentally conscious as I probably could/should be).

I'll mention to dealer at first service and see if they have any ideas --- will post finding.

Cheers.

Post #12261422nd Jan 2007 4:54 am
Pelyma

England 

It isn't the front diff leaking is it? I have no mechanical knowledge at all, but my previous D3 dumped the oil from the front diff and when driving along it smelt just like a catalytic convertor smell - perhaps the more knowledgeable guys could comment. BTW there was no difference in the driving experience until smoke started to pur out from under the bonnet Shocked
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #12262922nd Jan 2007 9:41 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Seems to be common problem dealer told me they have a guy coming in tomorrow with leaking front diff.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #12264322nd Jan 2007 10:31 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

2 known cases out of thousands of D3s doesn't make it a common problem in my book Confused
 The End  
Post #12264522nd Jan 2007 10:34 am
Pelyma

England 

I've only heard of 2 cases, so I think Slimer is right and it didn't stop me buying another.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #12266322nd Jan 2007 11:37 am
csory

Hungary 2006 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

Mine had exactly the same smell. Even put it on a lift to check if everything was okay but seemed so. Whatever it was, gone after a few weeks. I guess it must be some sort of protective material being burnt off the exhaust...
 TDV6 HSE Java Black, auto, difflock, fridge, winter, 7-seater, PDC, privacy, AHL, sunroof - 3rd row fixed Smile   
Post #12456128th Jan 2007 8:21 am
Johnhe

Feel better after hearing same from csory (vs. diff leak!)...just ran back up/down the mountains again and didn't detect any smoke or smell afterwards...seems that it fixed itself or is, as the service advisor told me about the front parking sensor, working according to design Rolling Eyes

Nothing better in the mountains, tho!

Post #12476529th Jan 2007 5:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >