Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

works fine for me Thumbs Up
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #102404824th Dec 2012 12:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
geoff.

England 

BM

have you tried opening it and seeing what version you got Question

seems your the only one that can get it to work would love to know how you have managed that Thumbs Up

Post #102409224th Dec 2012 2:27 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Although VE1.31A seems pretty much sorted now, giving all of our systems owners many hundreds of new things they can now play with over the Christmas hols, there does seem to be something awry with the V1.4 FFL, probably just a file corruption. so sadly folks will have to now wait until the New Year to get the benefit of that particular upgrade.

I do appreciate that thought process of not releasing upgrades just prior to a closure, but then the worst that can happen is that folks do not get any new benefit from this free upgrade and have to wait a while longer.

Sadly it seems there are always teething problems that have to be overcome, things coming into play that you did not expect.

Tonight the ADSL connection that my service provider supplies and has been so dependable in providing my home internet connection for many years is suddenly up and down like a yo yo.

I have had to rig up a USB tether via my Android phone 3G connection to even make this post.

I could be mad that my service provider is currently not providing the level of service and capability i have become accustomed to, but instead It kinda reminds me to be more grateful and appreciative of what they have regularly provided me with.

Post #102419824th Dec 2012 7:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
StornowayStu

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

Hi Colin

We've survived one end-of-the-world scenario so I'm sure waiting until the New Year for your new release to be ironed out isn't another apocalypse by any means. Take a break and go fix that printer I sent you the part for Wink

BTW, I notice the main downloads page on the forum for the software still mentions 1.30 but haven't checked to see if it actually points to the sticky link from Ronnie....

Thanks again for what you mad guys develop...I must admit I'm interested in your ACC retrofit for the D3/LR3 if could find the radar sender here in the US for a good deal....

Cheers Thumbs Up

~-- Stuart

Post #102420024th Dec 2012 8:07 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

After talking to Geoff I decided to check FFL 1.4 and sure enough although it went through the install process it's still at version 1.3, so definitely not working.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #102421524th Dec 2012 8:37 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

geoff. wrote:
BM

have you tried opening it and seeing what version you got Question

seems your the only one that can get it to work would love to know how you have managed that Thumbs Up

banner says 1.31a, 'Help > about' says: 1.31a

I'm running XP tablet SP3 if that's any help?
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #102426224th Dec 2012 11:03 pm
geoff.

England 
Re: Problems dowloading Flash file loader v 1.40

aljo wrote:
Any one got problems down loading the new version of flash file loader v 1.4 on the BBS forum site
I can download it to my laptop running xp but will not open or initialize

if you read this your see we are not talking about V.E Thumbs Up

Post #102426424th Dec 2012 11:10 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

oh I've got to actually read whole threads now have I ? Rolling Eyes Laughing

I'll have a look at 1.4 later then .... Thumbs Up
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #102426524th Dec 2012 11:13 pm
geoff.

England 

Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Post #102426624th Dec 2012 11:16 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cheers Stuart

I am sure something simply got corrupted in the FFL V1.4 file at the transportation stages, as it was checked prior to being uploaded, and now i think about it, i may well have used the USB. If i get a chance to drop by the office in the next few days i will re upload it off the network and download it myself to check it. Sadly there was just not enough time left on our last working day for us to do this as we normally would / should.

That printer part you so kindly got for me has been sitting on my desk laughing at me and taunting me for weeks now, but i really have had so much going on, i have not been able to find even a few minutes to myself.

I would delegate the job, but i want the self satisfaction.

Yes 1.31 or 1.31A even, has not been added to the main owners area downloads page yet, so the only link is currently in the releases thread sticky.

But at least owners can get it and have lots and lots of new things to play with.

Thanks for your comments of appreciation for what we develop. It does take a lot of time and effort, especially as we are the original developers of all this stuff, but it is interesting and fun.

I noticed there has been recent activity on the ACC retrofit thread and although i am still tethering via my Phone for Internet, i will try to respond to it.

ATVB everyone and a Merry Christmas

Post #102443225th Dec 2012 6:16 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

I dropped by the office earlier today to sort out this FFL file for you all. I got the Raid server, which is only a few months old out of standby and started hunting for the original copy of the FFL 1.4.0 file.

And then it all started going quickly downhill.
After a few minutes things started getting a little odd with folders not opening etc, i rebooted the PC and got the same, tried another PC and got the same, so rebooted the Raid server, which simply refused to fire up with the blue light of the power button simply flashing and the unit going no further.

Googled the symptoms and the results made my blood run cold.

"Press Release on Blue Blink of Death Problem Affecting Some 2012 NAS Devices"
Known problem, Duff batch, faulty flash chips etc etc etc

Of course i cast my mind back to when i made my last back up and as ever it was at least a month or two back Shocked
Please do not post retrospective advice on this, i already know that i should have sorted this out better Big Cry
TBH i have always found backing up large amounts of data on a regular basis to be a compromise, but that's a whole different debate.

I contacted our supplier and arranged a replacement unit, and they were really good, but not knowing how long the replacement will take to come and if having got it, simply racking the four 1TB drives into the new unit will allow access to the original data, and so not knowing if i had lost data and set us back by a month or two would certainly ruin the rest of my Christmas break.

In filling in a support ticket, i had to add the hard drive model and serial number etc, and so powered it down and pulled one out. They are all also only a few months old.
I then pulled the others out a little way and pressed the power button, but it made no difference, after what seemed like several minutes it was still just flashing the Blue light.

But while i was adding the data to the support ticket i heard it beep and sure enough the flashing had turned to solid and the status light was flashing.

A quick check and it was now present on the LAN but strangely at the default IP address and i could not open the management interface.

I tried racking in various combinations of hard drives and got it to fire up with only hard drive 1 removed. As it is a RAID array this restored normal service with only the loss of further fault tolerance.

Before trying anything else i of course backed it all up Whistle
I also got a copy of the FFL file to upload.

While the backing up was going on i spent the time doing more Googling and discovered my model is apparently not affected by this problem. Thumbs Up
I also checked out some back up options and discovered that there is a neat trick where i can add a second unit on the network and have it constantly cloning itself off the first.

I did retry adding Hard Drive 1 leaving plenty long enough to be sure this was indeed causing the problem, which it did and re removing it got me back to normal service.

I checked the FFL file, uploaded a new copy, downloaded it and installed it to check and it is now all good.

The second unit and the hard drives it will need, along with some spares are already on order and i can now finally sit back with a glass or two and enjoy the last few days of my Christmas break.

BTW i also sussed and fixed the problem with my home internet connection yesterday.

It was certainly not easy, and it certainly was not simple. But i do live for and fully enjoy the challenges life presents.

Cheers Y'all

Colin

Post #102504627th Dec 2012 6:01 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Nice one Colin a well earned rest..

Ok can confirm that the new download installs and works ok..

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #102507727th Dec 2012 6:52 pm
aljo

England 

Excellent work Colin Thumbs Up
Works fine for me now Bow down
All the best for the new year Thumbs Up
 Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where,s the f**king ceiling!!

Post #102510227th Dec 2012 8:07 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

No worries Guys Thumbs Up

The problems you have encountered have not been so much in our work and the actual content of the files. That is as it has always been, top notch, just a few unforeseen corruptions being introduced in the distributing element.

If it were not for our trying to get these releases out before Christmas for you all to enjoy, and so taking a few short cuts, we would of course have picked up on them ourselves well before hand and fixed this before anyone even knew.

But that's just life and something we have to deal with just as we have and will always do Whistle

I truly wish you all the very best for the coming new year, i certainly am looking forward to it very much and have so much planned.

Post #102549328th Dec 2012 6:24 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya chaps.

Re opened for business today, and first thing on the agenda, and in fact my first new years resolution was to sort out this Backup situation, big time and hopefully once and for all.

I have to first offer a huge thanks to StornowayStu for his very thoughtful and indeed really knowledgeable advice and input.

First off, as a precautionary measure, although i now had a back up of all the most important stuff, i still kept the now degraded and vunerable Raid server off line. I started testing the faulty HDD1 that had caused all the problems, and checked out it's warranty status etc, and it is now on it's way to Seagate for replacement as it has a 3 year warranty, Fortunately, within the hour the parts i had ordered arrived, including a like for like replacement for the 1 TB HDD 1 which was quickly fitted and re construction of the array commenced during which instantly provide fault tolerance and business as usual.

The delivery also included another identical Raid server and no less than 5 identical 2TB drives. 4 to be fitted and one as a spare.

A few hours later, despite the fact that Seagate will ultimately provide me with a replacement for the Failed HDD 1 i also took delivery of a spare for that too.

I have set up the second Raid server such that it will be an utter clone of the first in respect of data and configuration updated at 30 minute intervals and so able to be instantly switched in, in place of the first should it ever be required

I have also set up automated additive backing up to external USB 3.0 Hard drives that will be rotated on a regular basis and kept off site.

I am really so pleased and proud to have now covered sorting this backing up aspect so well and be able to tick of my first New years Resolution and move onto the others, i can't tell you.

ATB

Colin

Post #10277922nd Jan 2013 7:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >