DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Help! 06 Disco 3 TDV6 won't start after being worked on
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
zetecr

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Help! 06 Disco 3 TDV6 won't start after being worked on

Hi all,

I've had the battery disconnected for 1 week while changing the timing belts and alternator on my 06 D3 TDV6. Got everything back together and hit the starter and the thing cranks strongly, but does not fire. Shocked

I've had to leave it to go out, so haven't had the chance to look at anything yet, but thought I'd have a look around the forum and ask what kind of things to start looking at first.

I took the car off the road due to not charging, but it was starting fine just on battery power prior to being disconnected.

I took the opportunity to do the timing belt change at the same time as replacing the alternator. I was VERY careful with the timing belt change, made sure the camshafts were locked and crank position marked. I am as certain as I can be that it is correct.

When I connected the negative lead, I could not avoid a small spark, though no worse than when I changed the battery a couple of years ago. No error messages on dash. The first time I cranked her, I realised I had left the connector off the sensor on the intake pipe, but putting that back on did not make any difference. I've checked the others (at least those I can check without pulling the battery out again)

The things I've picked up on so far are: check glow plug, check fuel pressure, may be do a hard reset?

Are there any other pitfalls related to having the battery disconnected for so long? Any help would be much appreciated..

Post #99478027th Oct 2012 6:03 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

You don't say what work has been done, other than belts. I would go over the car and double check any areas you have been working, and double check there are no loose connectors, or any you may have forgot to reconnect.
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #99480627th Oct 2012 7:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I have had this after disconnecting the battery for a while and it seems to be something with the immobiliser. I shut and opened the car a few times with the remote and it worked again.

It would turn over but not start.

Post #99481527th Oct 2012 8:40 am
Adigorn

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

have you been near HPP belt? Whistle

Post #99482927th Oct 2012 9:10 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

If you have done the rear belt did you remove any of the quick release fuel pipes at the rear of the engine, if so make sure you have pushed them back on fully, if all else looks fine then as suggested above try locking the car and let it go to sleep then unlock and try to start it.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #99483227th Oct 2012 9:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
zetecr

Thanks everyone, for your quick replies!

Adigorn wrote:
have you been near HPP belt? Whistle

Do you mean the HP Fuel Pump? I did not work on the belt at the back of the engine, and surely it could not have chosen this moment to break? I guess you never know..

countrywide wrote:
I have had this after disconnecting the battery for a while and it seems to be something with the immobiliser. I shut and opened the car a few times with the remote and it worked again.

It would turn over but not start.

I just tried the spare key as well as the "lock-wait for few minutes-unlock" trick, but no difference. How many times did you have to repeat this before yours started? I was rather hoping it's the immobiliser - Is there anything else to do to make sure this is not the cause?

My plan for tomorrow is:

1. Go through the fuses
2. Check fuel pressure at valve
3. Hard reset
4. re-check the ecu connectors behind battery (although I would have thought this would result in a error message)
5. Check hpfp belt

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Just finished doing 1-4 above.. When checking for fuel at the "tyre valve", fuel does flow when ignition is turned on, but not sure how much pressure I should be expecting. The fuel "fountains" about 5cm high above the valve - is this what is expected?

Post #99492327th Oct 2012 12:56 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi zetecr,
From your first post in this thread, I suspect that you did not use the timing locking "pins" rather just marking the camshaft position. This is widely recognised to be inadequate meaning that the camshaft timing may be out.

Go back and do it properly before you damage the engine.

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #99632930th Oct 2012 11:43 pm
zetecr

Bushwanderer, I am well aware of the criticality of camshaft timing and DID lock the camshafts using home-made pins. Anyway, it's a moot point now, because:

I finally gave up and arranged for a tilt-tray truck to take the car to the stealers. Talking to the mechanic over the phone later, I learned that he was able to start it, but he insisted that he could not reset a whole bunch of errors on the ECU because of a persistent battery voltage fault. He then went on and told me the battery failed the check and need to be replaced.

My jaw dropped when he told me it would cost AUD$550. Shocked

I paid $240 for a replacement battery a couple of years ago, but apparently, a new higher capacity battery had been introduced and the older unit is no longer available. Evil or Very Mad I'm sure I could source one cheaper, but I needed the car back on the road, so I reluctantly agreed when they offered it for $499. Big Cry They will have the car ready tomorrow.

BUT, I just got home, and my wife just told me when the truck driver came to collect the car, he was able to start the Censored ing thing, and practically drove it onto the truck!!!

What the hell is going on?? I was thinking that the mechanic had reset something in the ecu to start it, but it seems it was running before it got to the dealer. I tried starting it again last night after preparing it to be taken away and it did not start. ONLY thing I did this morning prior to leaving was put the grill back on - surely this can't have been the reason?!

Post #99637331st Oct 2012 8:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >