Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Faint whine at speed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
DerbyshireDisco

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I have something similar, the whine increases in pitch and volume with speed but only when accelerating and disapears when I take my foot of the throttle, I am fearing it could be the diff but not sure.
 Displaced Yorkshireman.
=^:^=
SDV6 Auto obviously, Loire blue/Ebony, ugly kid glass, RLD wheel protector, private plate and maybe side steps. 

Post #9985755th Nov 2012 1:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulC

Wales 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Hmm had this on mine from new- dealer says can't detect anything wrong.... I suspect 6speed transmission/drivetrain as a friend had a loaner 8speed and no obvious noise. It kind of whines when the engine is under strain above 60mph most noticeable when accelerating from 60ish to 80ish. Disappointing in a car that cost me >£50k. I wouldn't be surprised if something not right and the dealership being inept though. If anyone has had a solution to this I would be grateful. The noise is not very loud but noticeable to me if stereo not on or I have radio 4 on whilst on the motorway.

Post #100468717th Nov 2012 12:40 am
Matt R

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

If the whine noise appears from around 65-85mph, and only happens when under load and not if you back off the throttle, then it will definitely be the transfer box.

Say this very confidently as I had 2 done under warranty in my first Disco (3) and will shortly be requesting my 3rd on the current D4 (6sp).

Noise is not particularly loud, but does irritate hugely and gives me a headache on long motorway journeys.

Persist with your dealer as most will either say they can't test it over 70mph, or will pretend they can't hear it....

Post #100502517th Nov 2012 10:10 pm
allforus

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Got a similar issue towing the caravan got a rithmic wine from front area when say going up hill at a constant speed mines a 8 speed my 12 could that Be the same thing

Post #100511618th Nov 2012 10:31 am
PaulC

Matt, that's really helpful. I'll contact dealer again though I fear I may have a battle on my hands! I was there on Thursday for a courtesy "health check" spent 2 hrs reading the paper for them to say my tyres are worn (which i knew) and they could not do anything else to investigate until they are replaced. They did give it a very nice wash though, bless em. I mentioned it before and they said they could not detect anything amiss.. I wondered if it was a generic problem with all D4s though you would not expect a whine to come as standard in a luxury car surely?

Post #100511818th Nov 2012 10:35 am
mrocco

New Zealand 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Paul c, Matt R, Derbyshiredisco you all sound is if you have the same problem as my D4. Somehow I finally convinced LR NZ to replace the transfer box under the factory warranty. The dealer told me after I took my D4 in, that 3 days earlier they had received a TIB from the factory (technical Information Bulletin they said) that warned about this problem with transfer boxes and the fix was to strip it down and replace the chain etc. I protested and demanded a new box and it arrived this week and was fitted two days ago. My D4 runs perfectly quietly again in fact it is so quiet it may have been an issue from new and just very gradually got worse. It's a huge improvement the D4 feels like a completely different vehicle. Persevere guys this is a real issue.
Cheers
 2011MY D4 SDV6 HSE Ipanema Sand/Almond/Walnut trim, Privacy glass, Alpine roof (not std on HSE here), ipod lead  
Post #100787423rd Nov 2012 12:10 pm
DerbyshireDisco

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Thanks for the info mrocco, mine is out of warranty so it could be an expensive job will wait and see if it gets any worse then get it checked out, glad yours is now sorted and you can enjoy the car you should have had from the start.
 Displaced Yorkshireman.
=^:^=
SDV6 Auto obviously, Loire blue/Ebony, ugly kid glass, RLD wheel protector, private plate and maybe side steps. 

Post #100791323rd Nov 2012 1:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mrocco

New Zealand 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Oh....if it is the transfer box it will be expensive. Out here the part alone was NZ$14,000 (approx 7k pounds) according to the dealer. all the best
 2011MY D4 SDV6 HSE Ipanema Sand/Almond/Walnut trim, Privacy glass, Alpine roof (not std on HSE here), ipod lead  
Post #100816123rd Nov 2012 8:45 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The OEM Wranglers do get noisey one they get worn so not unreasonable idea to eliminate that first.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #100828224th Nov 2012 12:30 am
PaulC

Quick update- dealer finally admitted there was a noise at speed ( I had to drive it as it was at > 70mph) had it for 2 days- replaced transfer box oil seals (they say) and the noise was much better. Didn't last though- a month later and intrusive whine/ hum back again! Maybe not as loud as before but noticeable. Under investigation by LR customer service currently. Bit fed up! Confused

Post #108816014th Apr 2013 8:23 pm
CUCO

Spain 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

mine changed because a whine like yours.

new transfer=problem terminated.

warranty job.

Post #108821514th Apr 2013 9:40 pm
rovlecky

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Interesting read, i have exactly the same symptoms, when hard accelerating to overtake or get the speed up the whine is there and disappears when i take the foot off the pedal. Originally put it down to the turbo but my under the bonnet experience is lacking. Embarassed

Out of curiosity what is the damage on getting a new Box in the UK fitted? Whistle
 Why does every page of the manual have fingerprints?  
Post #108830115th Apr 2013 7:45 am
PaulC

That annoying noise in transmission

The noise came back after a short while (few weeks) having had the transfer gearbox output flanges? Seal ? replaced at cardiff main dealer. Had been dealing with LR customer service too; anyway after a successful and much cheaper service in an alternative dealer near Brecon I asked them to have a look. Same deal again- had to test drive it myself with an engineer as it was most noticeable at >70mph. Also liaised with LR customer service again to check what work had been done under warranty in Cardiff. Anyway, they loaned me a flashy evoque and less than 24 hours later called me to say it was fixed. They replaced the transfer case drive chain with a modified one, saying it was an known issue to LR. Hey presto- the noise is completely gone!
Now I am mightily impressed with Brecon dealer- having vowed never to set foot in the Cardiff one ever again. BUT I am convinced this noise has been there since it was new- and I am a bit cheesed off to say the least that it was there in the first place, in a car that cost me over £50K, AND that it was a "known" issue which Cardiff failed to determine in 4 visits!
How many other customers are out there with this noisy transmission? I know my friend who has an RRS has the same noise...
Just thought- strange this sort of component was either in stock or delivered to Brecon by motorbike to get it replaced within 24hrs
LR customer service are going to get a call from me tomorrow

Post #113413521st Jul 2013 9:06 am
CUCO

Spain 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Mine was changed too because two things:

- a minor leak where the cases splits.

- a whine, taking speed with foot over the middle point. Much more noticeable when passing througt third gear, but it sounded in all gears. At high speeds it could be hear but the aerodinamic enmascarated it.

New transfer after many attemps to fix it and all noises gone in one step.

All right now.

Post #113418421st Jul 2013 11:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >