Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Cooper Zeon LTZ Cracking Warning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
muz

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
Cooper Zeon LTZ Cracking Warning

Just made the discovery that all of my Cooper Zeon LTZ 285 60 R18 tires had cracking below the treads on the sidewall.

Had two flats in a week and can see the same on the other 2 tires. I got about 45 000km's out of them. Plenty of tread left though.

Just wanted to share my experience ( you can find plenty of experiences like this on the web now with these tires)

Hopefully this post will warn others off these tires. It has certainly made sure I will never buy coopers again.

Post #93629229th May 2012 1:36 am
THE DOCTOR46

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

This only happens if the tyres have been run below there recommended pressure or stood for periods of time in very very hot condtions. Im surte if you speak to people over here we have never had problems with these tyres.

Post #93630329th May 2012 6:53 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Wow, that is not good, I am sure providing you purchased them from a tyre dealer as they ask for suppling dealer on the form you will be able to send the problem tyre/tyres back under complaint as you can in the UK and the rest of the world.

I feel it would have been fairer to go back to your dealer first to get his help on your problem.

This can be a problem with some purchases of Ebay as someone pointed out that when sending them back under complaint putting Ebay as the suppling dealer is not a great help.

I still say it's best to look after your local tyre dealers as you have direct contact and an invoice to back up any problems, also I am sure they will be happy to look after you with punctures and any wheel balance problems you may have, after all computers can't mend punctures.

Most tyre dealers will try to match any internet deals as you still have to pay someone to fit and balance, I hear some say my mate can fit these which is good for same as long as the job is done with care as after all you don't want your alloys marked.

Post #93631029th May 2012 7:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
THE DOCTOR46

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Good Answer Andy always support your local dealers.. But any tyre will crack if not run at the correct pressure .
Also these tyres have done 28000 miles!! But that could of been many different situations including some very very high temperatures over there and like i said if ran for that long with wrong pressure in any tyre would crack.
Alot of people never check there tyre pressure which should be done every now and again as the pressure will always drop and should be kept at optimum pressure for best results and life

Post #93631929th May 2012 7:44 am
geoff.

England 

both good answers

Muz

i think in the conditions you experience there in Australia and with the pressures run low at times its only natural for the carbon blacks and other components in the contruction of the tyre to dry out and crack and at 28k thats not to bad , but i would definitely get them back to the manufacture of the tyre to see if there is a problem in construction.

i had a problem a few back now with a certain size of van tyre my customer only run michelin and they went short and on back order and with 60 odd vans he needed something so i recommended Avon then low and behold within the first 6 weeks 17 blow outs all avon , by sending the tyres back avon the tech team determined it was 1 machine causing the problem in the manufactoring process it was found the machine was misting oil on to the casing causing tread separation and then blow out.

ps needless to say i was a bit red faced for my recommendation all ended well 100% refund and half the vans shod for free Thumbs Up

Post #93632329th May 2012 8:05 am
muz

The tyres haven't been run below their required pressure as I regularly do checks

But it is very hot and dry over here so that is probally the cause

Your comment about it never happening where you are is fine. You never get any heat in the UK. But for those in the rest of the world where it does get hot I would stay away from them.

Not interested in chasing the tyre dealer. I don't live near them anymore and I have just moved on. I just wanted to post my comments so others would be aware of a potential problem

Quote:

Most tyre dealers will try to match any internet deals as you still have to pay someone to fit and balance, I hear some say my mate can fit these which is good for same as long as the job is done with care as after all you don't want your alloys marked.

I laughed about the alloys marked comment. Scratched mine up years ago off road. Thats what these cars are for right?

Post #93632629th May 2012 8:13 am
geoff.

England 

Rolling with laughter your so right about the weather over here Thumbs Up mind you we got some good stuff at the moment should last a few more days Rolling with laughter

ps would be interested to see a picture of the cracking Thumbs Up

Post #93632829th May 2012 8:16 am
muz

Sorry Geoff can't help you with a picture, told the dealer to throw the old ones away

basically the cracks form between the lugs about 1-3 inches long going from the sidewall around to between the lugs. All 4 tyres had multiple cracks of various sizes.

Post #93633029th May 2012 8:19 am
geoff.

England 

Muz thats a shame but never mind

as with my post about the Avon,s do you know who owns Avon tyres now Question (Cooper) Rolling with laughter

Post #93633229th May 2012 8:23 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Beat me to it cocker. Thumbs Up

Post #93634229th May 2012 9:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
scarry

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Just for interest,how old were the tyres?
BFG A/T's often crack between the blocks,but they are usually at least 6 yrs old.

Post #93638229th May 2012 10:52 am
jjvd21

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

There was a post on this topic on another LR Forum was able to find the link: http://forums.landroverworld.org/showthrea...ght=cooper
 16 D4 Landmark
05 D3 HSE V8
THE original D4 spotter 

Post #93643129th May 2012 2:04 pm
~Rich~

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I live over in Sydney and have not had this issue with my set at all.
Do quite a lot of both beach and rocky 4wding and no cracks appeared.
Just replaced them with a new set.
 2005 TDV6 HSE Silver, LLAMS Height Controller, Tinted Glass, Onroad - 19" GG AT's, Offroad - 18" 275/65 MT, Traxside Dual Battery kit, Rasta Protection Plate, Alpine Roof, BAS Remap, ARB Air Compressor, eDiff Smile Custom Drawer and storage unit -http://www.box.com/s/jem0ilac3cner2mexq64 UHF CB, 4x4 Intellegence RWC, 120ltr Long range tank, Rock Sliders and Compressor protection plate Beanie grill, De Tango.  
Post #93665330th May 2012 12:47 am
Disco4SE

2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Hey Muz,
I have the exact same tyres, so will keep an eye out for crackin etc. Mind you, they have only done about 3,000 Klm's.

Do you keep the vehicle garaged? If it is kept outside in the hot sun all the time, this could contribute to your problem. However, it should happen anyway.

Cheers, Craig[/b]

Post #93696430th May 2012 8:55 pm
trm

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have a set which have now done 65k, and yes there are a number cracks in the tires around the luggs. I always took that as a consquence of the type of off roading I have done in the past, out west Simpson the highlands of Victoria, Cape York etc. and the high mileage they have now.

Yes I had two that developed a slow leak due to cracks no in the side wall, but the foot print. It was as a consequence of low pressure when doing a lot of kms in the Simpson Desert some years back and exisive heat that developed. To their credit the Cooper Tire distributor referred it to the manufacturer, and Cooper agree to swap under warranty, but only to 50%. I did not mind, as they had at that point done 30k.

I am getting a second set now for the next 3 week trip in June out west to WA.

Post #93704730th May 2012 10:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >