Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Dual Battery /HF Radio installation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Lex

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Dual Battery /HF Radio installation

For those interested I have downloaded my rig as set up for a week of camping in the "outback". Modifications include a Rotronics battery management system to maintain the starter battery/auxillary battery/camper battery. I've fitted 17" alloys with Cooper Discoverer STT tyres[noisy but unbreakable]. Ive also installed a HF radio for long distance backup for my satphone. Photos in the gallery.
 TDV6 HSE Zambezi/Tundra  
Post #98915th Aug 2005 8:07 am
BN

England 

Wish we could use the Coopers here, but they are not road legal or EU approved.

Post #98965th Aug 2005 8:30 am
Pelyma

England 

Lex what is that towbar arrangement? Is it removeable and any chance of piccis of just the hitch? Cool setup all round BTW 8)
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #99795th Aug 2005 12:28 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Lex,

Nic set up.

Out of curiosity can you supply the details of the second battery and the specs of the rotorics modules and battery monitor.

What brand of 17" wheel is that?

Thanks,

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #102286th Aug 2005 10:21 am
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Auxiliary battery

Rotronics Atomotive PLYLtd you can getthis off the net ,Ihave this in my 130 LR RDC series Main/aux.Battery charge/isolator unit code no RDC12M
It will recharge theMain Battery first. the voltage at the main battery is monitored by theRDC12M and when the main battery is on charge will connect the auxiliary battery for charging and isolate the main battery from the alternator and the vehicle electrical system.this ensures the maximum recharge current is supplied to the auxiliary battery, during the recharge cycle the main battery is also tested by the RDC12M for full charge. When isolated-[ during the auxiliary battery recharge cycle] and reconnected, for further recarging, as required, by the RDC12M, to maintain full charge of the main battery.
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #102386th Aug 2005 12:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Discovery343

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
17 inch Tyres

Can you tell me what wheels you put your Cooper STT's on? I'm in Hobart

Post #1103511th Aug 2005 12:19 am
Lex

The wheels are a 'Performance' alloy wheel.There are few wheels available that have the correct load capacity/offset etc. My local tyre man measured the stud spacing and the wheels are then custom drilled for that stud pattern. I have been camping in the outback for a week and the wheels/tyres performed well.

The only problem that I encountered was a broken rear window from a renegade stone that somehow bounced forward from my trailer and crashed through the protective barrier I had stuck to the rear window.
 TDV6 HSE Zambezi/Tundra  
Post #1196614th Aug 2005 9:27 pm
rsp

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Impact on Approach Angle Using LR BB

Lex, have you been able to assess the impact of fitting the LR BB to the approach angle please?

Gmax now have a 17" rim (M168), that can be fitted without needing any modification. On advice from PCH, I went for a 38mm offset as you should be able to fit chains if necessary.
 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE, Auto, White, Rear Diff Lock. ARB BB, Traxide DBS, GME TX3540S, Safari Snorkel, IIDTool-BT, Doran TPMS, Rijidij Spare Wheel Carrier, Two side by side Drifta drawers, cargo barrier and drop down fridge slide, ARB 47l Fridge, Yokohama A/Ts and out of date 17" Cooper STTs.  
Post #3796918th Jan 2006 7:01 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi rsp,

If you are talking about the LR brush bar forget it. Discovery343 will tell you how useless they are and they fall off after the first contact with the ground.

This pic is from his Gallery.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #3798918th Jan 2006 10:55 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Replace the two standard 8mm bolts with a couple of 10mm studs and nuts and it'll stay in place
 The End  
Post #3799118th Jan 2006 11:01 am
Jamo

Australia 

Unless you want OE, go for the ARB bar. At $1,610 its cheaper

Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #3814919th Jan 2006 11:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rsp

Bull Bars

Has anyone had any experience with the LR A B Bar with without a winch?

The thing against the ARB BB is that the vehicle needs modification and as I am leasing the car, I will need to return it to its original condition for sale and that is likely to be expensive. I went through a similar exercise with a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE, Auto, White, Rear Diff Lock. ARB BB, Traxide DBS, GME TX3540S, Safari Snorkel, IIDTool-BT, Doran TPMS, Rijidij Spare Wheel Carrier, Two side by side Drifta drawers, cargo barrier and drop down fridge slide, ARB 47l Fridge, Yokohama A/Ts and out of date 17" Cooper STTs.  
Post #3818819th Jan 2006 8:13 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

the LR bar, with or without a winch requires 'modification' i.e. holes, to the front bumper cover. overall, it's much more sturdy when paired with a winch (less movement on the bottom brackets) and benefits from the modification Slimer mentioned, although to carry this out adds about 1.5 hours to the fitting time unless fitting a winch, in which case its about an extra 20 minutes

Post #3820019th Jan 2006 9:06 pm
rsp

LR Bull Bar

Hi Lex

How are you getting on with the LR BBar? Another member's BBar fell off apparently when off road? Main requirement is to fit a UHF ariel.

I am still trying to decide whether to use the LR accessory or the ARB BB. The latter requires chopping into the wheel flares.
Post #455594th Mar 2006 5:43 am
Lex

The factory bar has proven to be very reliable to this point. I really only needed a mounting point for my HF & UHF aerials. Having had ARB bars in the past I can vouch for their integrity. However once it is fitted I don't think it would be a reversible process.
 TDV6 HSE Zambezi/Tundra  
Post #457915th Mar 2006 9:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >