Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Best winter tire in 19'
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
christophe

Luxembourg 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4
Best winter tire in 19'

I am planning to travel to Norway next December/January where I guess a good set of winter tires would be useful. What do you think is the best winter tire at the moment for 19' rims? Maybe even some good winter tires with some offroad abilities??? Also, is there anybody from Norway on the forum who could tell me what kind of roads I can expect at this season and maybe give me some good tips on what are the interesting drives to do with a D3 in their country in winter?

Post #9863416th Oct 2012 9:16 pm
lr-80

Norway 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Nokian Hakkapelliitta SUV 7 seems to be the most widely recommended tire up here. Don't know what these are like in Europe mainland, and like most good winter tires for Nordic conditions they are not the best for off roading. You can expect salted (ice free) highways, but smaller roads usually are covered with ice or packed snow. Depending on weather conditions you could also be lucky to find some deeper snow on smaller roads.
 1951 Series One 80" 1600cc Deep Bronze Green
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Tonga Green 

Post #9863836th Oct 2012 11:08 pm
cold_n_wet

Norway 

I run the Nokian hakkepelita 5, on 17" and am very happy, they are not an offroad tyre.

I have used studded tyres the last few years after changing from studdless after a couple of near misses.

Generally driving offroad in Norway is illegal and the fines are high.

There are always exceptions to the rule, and you will find some areas which have received dispensation.

Which way are you coming to Norway ? this will help us choose the correct route with interesting spots.

You may want to post on the Norwegian forum www.lrforum.com/forum to get specific answers to specific areas.

Good luck on your trip.

Glen
 IDTOOL PRO / Faultmate programing and BAS remaping services in Norway.
Diagnostic for most Land rover vehicles
Land Rover parts and accessories.
Stockist of RLD equipment.
www.praesto4x4.no
D4 gone, missed but replaced with a 110 Puma. 

Post #9864517th Oct 2012 10:28 am
Bernt-Inge

Norway 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Studded tyres is the way to go Thumbs Up

Just be aware of a fee for driving with studded tyres in Oslo, Bergen? and Trondheim. This is just for driving inside the city limits though.
 Bernt-Inge
http://www.bernt-inge.no
http://www.landy.no 

Post #9864707th Oct 2012 11:12 am
christophe

Bernt-Inge wrote:
Studded tyres is the way to go Thumbs Up

Just be aware of a fee for driving with studded tyres in Oslo, Bergen? and Trondheim. This is just for driving inside the city limits though.

Are the winter tires mandatory in the winter in Norway or is it ok to drive with all seasons tires? If allowed, is it safe and reasonable to go with all seasons tires (like the new GG AT for exemple) or would you still recommend to have real winter tires on? Are there some roads with restrictions like winter tires only, studded tires only or with chains only... or is the rule the same for the entire country?
Thanks! Thumbs Up

Post #9869788th Oct 2012 4:35 pm
christophe

cold_n_wet wrote:
I run the Nokian hakkepelita 5, on 17" and am very happy, they are not an offroad tyre.

I have used studded tyres the last few years after changing from studdless after a couple of near misses.

Generally driving offroad in Norway is illegal and the fines are high.

There are always exceptions to the rule, and you will find some areas which have received dispensation.

Which way are you coming to Norway ? this will help us choose the correct route with interesting spots.

You may want to post on the Norwegian forum www.lrforum.com/forum to get specific answers to specific areas.

Good luck on your trip.

Glen

I intend to arrive in Kristiansand with the ferry from Hirtshals (DK) and after that go up allong the west coast passing by Stavanger, Bergen and continue North as much as possible (Lofoten islands ,...) Honestly nothing is really organised yet as the dates are not totally defined yet, so if you have any tips on things/places not to miss in your country at this season(end of December beginning of January) feel free to tell me.
Thanks

Post #9869828th Oct 2012 4:45 pm
cold_n_wet

Norway 

Well give me a message when you get closed to bergen, I will make you a cup of coffee. Thumbs Up

All season tyres are allowed, but not really recomended with such a heavy car, its a combination of a bad summer tyre and a bad winter tyre.

If you are travelling to Trondheim, then you would probably take the Sognfjell road to Lom, and then on to Dovre.

This road can get very interesting, we even had a light dusting of snow there in the july month.

You start of at sea level and climb up to approx 1483 moh.

You might want to drop Stavanger, and drive up setersdalen to Haukli, then cross the south part of Hardangervidda, if the weather is bad, then the road gets closed, or you are put into convoys.

If you go studdless or all season get some chains. Just be aware the traction controll and DSC system is very good, but once it slips, it goes pear shaped very quickly, as the car is compensating for you alot, and you tend to drive quicker.

Glen
www.praesto4x4.no

Post #9870008th Oct 2012 5:21 pm
christophe

cold_n_wet wrote:
Well give me a message when you get closed to bergen, I will make you a cup of coffee. Thumbs Up

All season tyres are allowed, but not really recomended with such a heavy car, its a combination of a bad summer tyre and a bad winter tyre.

If you are travelling to Trondheim, then you would probably take the Sognfjell road to Lom, and then on to Dovre.

This road can get very interesting, we even had a light dusting of snow there in the july month.

You might want to drop Stavanger, and drive up setersdalen to Haukli, then cross the south part of Hardangervidda, if the weather is bad, then the road gets closed, or you are put into convoys.

If you go studdless or all season get some chains. Just be aware the traction controll and DSC system is very good, but once it slips, it goes pear shaped very quickly, as the car is compensating for you alot, and you tend to drive quicker.

Glen

Thanks for the offer for the coffee Thumbs Up
I will look deeper into the organisation of my trip and if I have more questions I might go back to you if you do not mind!
Regarding the tires I think I will go for normal winter tires (studdless) with chains in case of. It is not indeed very common to find studded tires around here and I will most probably not require them after the trip anymore anyway.
Thanks

Post #9873069th Oct 2012 12:13 pm
flydive

Switzerland 

Nice little town Bergen(a bit rainy, maybe)
Love the fish market.

Post #9873279th Oct 2012 1:06 pm
christophe

And what about the best winter tire around in 19'? Anybody in mainland Europe with an advice on this question?

Post #9873329th Oct 2012 1:13 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Auto Bild 2011 SUV winter tyre test here:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2011-...e-Test.htm

If you want off-road ability as well then the Goodyear Duratrac is your only option (that I know off).

Post #9873419th Oct 2012 1:31 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

are there any tests on the new Pirelli Winter yet?
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #9873679th Oct 2012 2:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Yes, but not specifically the SUV version. See here:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-...g-Test.htm

Don't you just love the name "Linglong Winter Hero" Laughing

Post #9875109th Oct 2012 8:43 pm
christophe

cold_n_wet wrote:

Glen

Hi Glen,

Can you tell me if I can reasonably plan to drive all the way up to Tromso end of December/beginning of January or do I have to expect many roads closed on the way? Also, I see you are selling accessories! Can you maybe recommend me some chains which would fit the D3, easy to fit, of good quality and not too expensive (It will maybe be a one time use only)? I see Land Rover is selling a traditionnal model and a spider model which looks quite attractive, but they are both quite expensive (around 700 euros down here).
Thanks

Post #98764110th Oct 2012 10:16 am
cold_n_wet

Norway 

Regarding road closure, its very difficult to know when its going to happen, but just be ready for it, have a few buffer days, if you are stuck, they are normally only closed for a day or so until the storm passes. have food, sleeping bags and drink in the car, and keep the tank full.

You should have no problems getting to Tromsø. Take the return via Sweden and you get best of both worlds.

I think you will be looking at about NOK 2000,- for a set of easy to fit quality chains, but need to confirm that.

Maybe for you use, ie you just carry them, use once or twice then throw them away some cheaper ones would work.

I can look into it and let you know prices

Glen
www.praesto4x4.no

Post #98767210th Oct 2012 12:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >