Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

13 pin Towbar Electrics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ron Dunbar

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
13 pin Towbar Electrics

The standard towbar option comes with 7pin towbar electrics.
Has anyone persuaded a LR dealer to fit one with the Euro single 13 pin socket?
For those who aren't familiar, these connectors are (in my opinion) far superior to the UK twin 7pin.
The were supplied on X5, Range Rovers and some other Euro cars as a standard option, but now seem to have been dropped for the Disco3.
 Ron Dunbar

Grey D4 TDV6 HSE
Skoda TDi Roomster Scout 

Post #96773rd Aug 2005 10:00 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Ron,
not come accross it, although it souns like a 'two for the price of one' offer, in an Asda sort of way... Shocked
Is this not just the French trying to impose 'vive la difference' upon us proud Brits?
There appears to be a multitude of adaptors available, looks like a chicken & egg conundrum to me Question If you're going to spend most of your time with GB trailers / tin tents go for the 7+7, if it's going to be Eurotrash, go for the 13... (although you may need to cross the water to get a socket fitted)

Not much help I know, (nothing new there then Shocked Shocked )

Cheers,

10forcash

Post #96863rd Aug 2005 10:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 
Re: 13 pin Towbar Electrics

Ron Dunbar wrote:
For those who aren't familiar, these connectors are (in my opinion) far superior to the UK twin 7pin.
The were supplied on X5, Range Rovers and some other Euro cars as a standard option, but now seem to have been dropped for the Disco3.

13 pin sockets are the new format which apply to trailers such as the caravans with aircon and extras that the traditional grey and black can no longer cope with. You can of course get a conversion adapter.

Take a look at this link: http://www.caravanhandboek.nl/kboom/techdoc.htm

Further to this item, you may recall I took LR to task about the failing ability of cutting out the rear intensity lights when towing.

On the link above it states, as we know that Germany it is law to cut out these lights, but in the UK it is not. HOWEVER it is recommended.

I think I will get back to LR and get my harness from Germany after all, but now with written evidence.

Post #97003rd Aug 2005 11:02 pm
woodman438

be aware that a wiring problem exsisted in the factory fit towbar, dont know if this is going to affect the operation of the adaptor but i assume so

http://www.wood-man.demon.co.uk/wiring.pdf

its VIN specific so easy to check

Regards
W
 D3 JB/B V6 HSE + DVD and NAVtv addon, Steps, Tints, PTI
DVD Modified for front screen display, retro gaming unit added and Road Angel installed. Kahn RSC2-22 wheels 

Post #97154th Aug 2005 6:58 am
Ron Dunbar

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Just a follow-up here.

I got my dealer to investigate, and you can spec the D3 with the 13pin Euro Trailer wiring/socket - no cost difference. It's just not quoted in the UK price list.

If you've never seen a 13pin plug/socket, have a look at one. It's a quarter turn positive locking connecter that's so much better than the push-in fall out 7pins.
Most also have a rubber seal that makes the electrical connections splashproof.
 Ron Dunbar

Grey D4 TDV6 HSE
Skoda TDi Roomster Scout 

Post #1281117th Aug 2005 10:17 pm
BN

England 

Thats an interesting point guys nearly forgot, LR are supplying my harness from Germany (FOC) to cut out the fog lights when towing. Been informed today, will not effect warranty which was their get out. So if you want a harness down to your dealer and ask for one. I will try to get the part number. SUCCESS

Post #1281517th Aug 2005 10:21 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Agree that 13 pin electrics are superior to the 12N/S UK stuff, Dad's just fitted a 13 pin socket to the 110, and it's far better both construction and sealing wise 8)
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #1281717th Aug 2005 10:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

BN wrote:
Thats an interesting point guys nearly forgot, LR are supplying my harness from Germany (FOC) to cut out the fog lights when towing. Been informed today, will not effect warranty which was their get out. So if you want a harness down to your dealer and ask for one. I will try to get the part number. SUCCESS

does it interact with the cruise control?

Post #1281817th Aug 2005 10:25 pm
BN

England 

Martin wrote:
Agree that 13 pin electrics are superior to the 12N/S UK stuff, Dad's just fitted a 13 pin socket to the 110, and it's far better both construction and sealing wise 8)

I dare not ask for a 13 pin now I have my standard German version coming

Post #1281917th Aug 2005 10:25 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

BN wrote:

I'd be interested in that part no. Brian, I've been putting off getting the towing electrics for my D3 partly for this very reason. I'm still really suprised it's not standard over here. Is it all new tow electrics or just an extra bit?

Cheers
Si
 The End  
Post #1282817th Aug 2005 11:47 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Martin wrote:

13 pin is certainly superior, the problem is the majority of trailers and caravans over here have 7 pin plugs so you have to change them as well, or use an adapter which kind of ruins the advantage of having the 13 pin socket.

I suppose you could fit both Smile
 The End  
Post #1282917th Aug 2005 11:50 pm
BN

England 

Slimer wrote:
BN wrote:

I'd be interested in that part no. Brian, I've been putting off getting the towing electrics for my D3 partly for this very reason. I'm still really suprised it's not standard over here. Is it all new tow electrics or just an extra bit?

Cheers
Si

The dealer is obtaining the harness slimer. When it arrives providing the dealer is OK to fit it, the warranty and fees will be paid for by LR. They accepted my arguement that if one country in the EI fits the device, no warranty would be effected, which of course was just a wriggle at the time.

Will let you know the result. Seat also progressing now.

Post #1284718th Aug 2005 7:25 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

BN wrote:
Will let you know the result. Seat also progressing now.

Great Very Happy
 The End  
Post #1287618th Aug 2005 9:06 am
pers1

Re: 13 pin Towbar Electrics

Ron Dunbar wrote:

I bought an EU (13 to 7 ) converter at the local car part store and it worsks perfect,
In Norway Torshov Bilrekvisita has it !

Post #1315819th Aug 2005 5:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >