Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

19' rims: General Tire Grabber AT or Goodyear Duratrac?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
christophe

Luxembourg 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4
19' rims: General Tire Grabber AT or Goodyear Duratrac?

I am about to change the Goodyear HP I got on my recently bought D3 for more offroad biaised tires. On my previous D3 I had Goodyear MTR's and was very happy with their look and their offroad performance but much less with their noise and their performance on wet roads. What do you think would be the best option? I must say that I am most of the time on road but I like to have the possibility to go offroad, do so once or twice a year and also go once a year to Morroco where I put my wheels on tracks and sand, which is what I favour.
Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Post #97835217th Sep 2012 9:03 pm
IanT599

United Kingdom 

I'd like to hear people's input on this too.

The guys on the forum seem to recommend GG's
But I've been to 3 different LR experience centres and the all recommend the Goodyear DuraTrac

I myself would be using these tyres purely for off road as I'll be getting a second set of alloys for road use.
 Ian
No longer a LR owner
2018 BMW M240i
2011 FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Gone
2004 TD5 ES - Gone
2008 TDV6 G4 -Sold and missed very much 

Post #97848218th Sep 2012 9:39 am
christophe

Come on! Nobody around to give me some feedback on the Goodyear Duratrac? I see from the forum that the GG AT is quite popular but cannot find much advice on the Duratrac. Is it considered an AT or a mud tire like the old MTR? How does it behave on roads compared to the GG AT or even the original Wrangler HP? Anybody to help me make my choice?

Post #97895919th Sep 2012 7:43 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Don't think there widely available here yet
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #97896219th Sep 2012 7:50 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

As above, still waiting for stock of this tyre to arrive.........looks good and I would look at it as more of an MT .tyre.

This could be the only option for a MT tyre available in 255/55x19 unless the General MT goes ahead. Whistle

Post #97898919th Sep 2012 8:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
DuraTrac

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic81487.html

I have MT/R and DuraTrac sets - happy with both, but beginning to favour the DuraTrac though Very Happy
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #97912419th Sep 2012 2:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
christophe

Hi Mossy,

Since you seem to be the only one to have the duratracs at the moment, can you comment a bit more on their handling compared to the mtr's? They are supposed to be in between at's and mt's per goodyear, so do they behave better on road then the mtr's? Are they much better on the wet? Do you notice a big difference in noise compared to the mtr's?
I find it really difficult to choose in between these and the AT's! The AT's seem to be perfect for an everyday use, but I am a bit dubitious about their behavior in muddy terrain and their strengh against rocky tracks!
Also, what would you think is the best for winter use?
Of course, anybody with an advice on my thoughts is welcome to answer as well!
Thanks in advance!

Post #98245327th Sep 2012 5:17 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I've always found that Goodyear give a good honest description of their products. Here's the Duratrac link:
http://www.goodyear.eu/uk_en/tires/wrangler-duratrac/index.jsp

Not very good on wet tarmac, but has the mountain snowflake symbol, so good for traction on snow & ice.

Depends what the winter conditions are like where you live/travel and what sort of use your Disco gets.

Post #98248527th Sep 2012 5:50 pm
christophe

Most probably the AT is indeed much better when talking about travelling on roads, whatever their condition, especially when wet or dry! But has anybody any experience with the AT in muddy conditions or even on rocky trails which he could share with me? Has anybody tried the AT in sand? Can it be deflated enough to improve sand driving? Thanks.

Post #98258827th Sep 2012 8:09 pm
Mossy

I think LT sums it up nicely with the link to the Goodyear web site - does exactly what it says on the tin! I have found the DuraTrac to be excellent in the wet, but that is compared with the MT/R, and they will never be as good as a dedicated road tyre on tarmac. All tyres are a compromise of sorts I guess?

I could easily sling the back end out on the MT/Rs in the wet but I have to try much, much harder with the DuraTrac. This is a good thing, and the recent wet weather has proved this several times, for which I am most grateful Embarassed

Off road they have performed as good as the MT/Rs but then I haven't pushed them to extremes to test fully or tried to. The do seem to self-clean better but like all things this is subjective and based on 'following' opinions who felt they did. Tread wise they seem similar to the GG AT, but with the added snowflake and "wiggly" bits in the tread typical of winter tyres.

The MT/R is a true 80% off road biased tyre, with side-wall reinforcement so will probabaly be more durable, and I am lucky to have a set of these to change into if needed, but if I had to stake an opinion based ONLY on my use and thought, I'd say the DuraTrac have held up as well as the MT/Rs for my off-road needs but with far, far better on-road manners, lower noise (although it IS still apparent), and better winter performance - I hope - yet to test the snowflake until it all comes this winter and the temps dive to 20 below (wishful thinking in Chester??) Big Cry

In short, I was and am pleasantly suprised by their performance.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #98284528th Sep 2012 10:07 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

do you loose fuel economy like with the MTR's ?
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #98285628th Sep 2012 10:38 am
Mossy

Hi Wiggs, hard to tell on the V8 - as mpg varies quite wildly. I can get a +/- swing of 5mpg on the same run into the office depending its mood, irresppective of tyre and seamling smae driving style. I have rack, winch, lights, underbody protection, and varying loads being carried day-to-day so wight is more my problem, so I tend not to notice - it hurts less this way too.

I would guess they would affect mpg but doubt as bad as the MT/Rs and I seem to recall losing about 3-4 mpg when I switched to these over OEM road tyres a few years back

Sorry - not the best to ask as double figure mpg and a tank range >250miles any day is a good day for me.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #98287028th Sep 2012 11:00 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

I've used the GG AT, good on everything except mud, it's their real weakness in my opinion, the tread design just doesn't cope with it and they slide around all over the place. Shame really otherwise a great tyre. Assume legislation is killing off the more aggressive ones. The BFG AT is still the best all rounder but they don't seem to do D3/4 friendly sizes.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #98287228th Sep 2012 11:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >