Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Strange EGR issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
cedwat

France 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
Strange EGR issue

My Discovery 3 is a 2007 model. I blanked the EGR when the car had 110.000 km. I had absolutely no issues, no dashboard lignts, nothing. Then, at 138.000 km, the engine default light went on, then off, then on, until it was permanently on. So I decided to remove the blanking kit.

The problem is the engine default light stays still "on". My dealer told me I should replace the EGR system. Shocked
 My fifth Disco ...  
Post #97532310th Sep 2012 10:24 am
garrycol

Australia 

Contrary to popular opinion a blanked EU4 engine requires the EGRs to be electrically serviceable to send the appropriate movement signals to the ECU. Even though yours are blanked I would suggest that the actuating mechanism in the EGR has now failed and as a result the ECU is not getting the signals it expects.

You can either get new EGRs and instal or do what I have done is leave my U/S egrs in place (but blanked) and good EGRs and just plug them into the wiring loom - at the moment mine just sit on top of the engine cover but when I make an extension to the EGR loom I will mount them in the spare battery box. These provide the correct signals to the ECU even though not connected to the exhaust signals. In due course I am sure someone will make a plug in electronic module that mimics the EGR electrics.

Garry

Post #97533410th Sep 2012 11:01 am
cedwat

Thanks for the explanation.

I thought that removing the blanking plates would have put everything back to a normal situation and my dashboard light would have gone off. Is it possible that blanking the EGR would have caused damage to them?
 My fifth Disco ...  
Post #97533910th Sep 2012 11:10 am
garrycol

Australia 

No - the current method of blanking the intake side of the of the EGRs still exposes them to hot exhaust gases etc and while it will take a lot longer to have an impact the electrics and actuators still operate in a hostile environment and can fail - albeit much later. It is my belief that we should be blanking the exhaust side of the EGrs so that they are not exposed to the exhaust gases when blanked - however that is almost as difficult as replacing the EGrs in the first place.

So - I doubt removing the blanks will have an impact and the blanking process did not damage your EGrs - I would say they were on the way out when you blanked them - why did you blank them in the first place - as a precaution or because the EML came on.

Garry

Post #97535110th Sep 2012 11:49 am
cedwat

As a precaution.

I had no issue before. Sad
 My fifth Disco ...  
Post #97535710th Sep 2012 11:59 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >