EGR Valves
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Dogmatix01

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 3
EGR Valves

Hi All,

Bit of a tale to tell here.

My Disco's battery decided to die on me last week. I had to call out a breakdown service to rescue me. The guy who came very quickly diagnosed the battery as faulty. He boost started the car and checked the charging system to confirm the battery as the guilty component. I was going to have the car booked in for a service so took it straight to the local Landrover dealer. They replaced the battery and serviced the car.

I collected the car and had a very slow drive home in very heavy traffic, about four miles. I didn't use it for a couple of days but when I did it was weirdly sluggish and unresponsive. If you 'floored' the throttle there was little response and then the gearbox kicked down and the revs built up and it took off like a frightened rabbit. If the cruise control was used the car lost speed considerably, on hills, and eventually kicked down and then, gradually, went back up to the set speed.

I took it back to Landrover and they diagnosed a EGR fault. I've left it with them to repair, but had a call later saying diagnostibc testing showed both EGR valves were defective, quote ' one completely blocked and the other partially choked'.
The car was running perfectly before the battery failed which makes me feel this is unlikely.

Two questions; Why would this problem just suddenly appear. I would have expected a loss in performance over a period of time. I wouldn't imagine they'd just suddenly quit.
Also, do they not run any type of diagnostic testing during the service carried out? If that had been done surely that would have detected the EGR fault. I thought the idea of having your car serviced was to avoid failure.

I'd be interested in any comments as I feel the car wasn't properly serviced. I paid a four figure sum to have the car repaired and serviced and it's going to cost a good few hundred more to sort out the EGR fault.

I ain't a happy bunny right now. Sad

Dave

Post #97883818th Sep 2012 8:21 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Dave

Get your car back from the garage and blank off your egr's your 2006 model can be blanked off and forget about your egr's it is a hours job max if you have not done it before the kits are on ebay and the how to done by Disco-Mikey.
You don't need to change them

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #97887118th Sep 2012 9:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
garrycol

Australia 

Your symptoms are typical of failed EGRs and are not related to the battery - as mentioned just blank them - cheaper, easier and car will run better. Clean your MAP sensor.

Garry

Post #97894019th Sep 2012 2:12 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: EGR Valves

Sounds like its a bit late, but the EGR's could be blanked off with blanking plates from Ebay for less than £10 and a couple hours of work, or a bit more expensive for BAS removal kit Thumbs Up

You will probably find that a main delaer is unwilling to fit blanking plates, but a good local indy would be more than happy to fit them Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #97895319th Sep 2012 6:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dave T

England 

Disco_Mikey wrote:
You will probably find that a main delaer is unwilling to fit blanking plates, but a good local indy would be more than happy to fit them Thumbs Up

Where would he find one of them? Whistle Whistle
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #97895519th Sep 2012 7:01 am
piper5

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

i am just over the bridge in dalgety bay if you fancy doing this yourself with a bit help , give me a shout, ive done 2 now

Post #97896019th Sep 2012 7:43 am
Disco_Mikey

Dave T wrote:
Disco_Mikey wrote:

Where would he find one of them? Whistle Whistle

In between a certain main dealer in Perth, and another dealer in Stirling, but you knew that already, didn't you Dave Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #97903419th Sep 2012 10:20 am
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

sorry if i am asking a silly question. I have a 2005 plate and am keen to know that if the EGR's fail at any point, can I blank them off after failing and then just carry on as normal ? i am thinking about blanking them anyway but might wait if this is the case to the potential egr failure first.

Post #97907619th Sep 2012 12:14 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Blanking early is best. Saves pulling out in front of something and suddenly discovering that you don't have the power you were expecting. Shocked

Also stops all that crud going through your engine.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #97908719th Sep 2012 12:35 pm
scotty15

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If the EGR valves have failed then you need to replace them first but if they are working then get it done asap so they dont poss fail anytime soon. I had blanked mine a few weeks before one of mine failed just as I had the Tin tent behind and just pulled out to over take a long line of HGV's. So I replaced both valves and all is fine now.

Andy
 06 reg disco 3 HSE MY 06. Sat nav ,fridge, LR phone kit, rear passenger climate,
BAS remap
Wiggs BT phone exchange unit and 3 flash indicators enabled 

Post #97909819th Sep 2012 12:52 pm
Disco_Mikey

scotty15 wrote:
If the EGR valves have failed then you need to replace them first but if they are working then get it done asap so they dont poss fail anytime soon.

Andy

No you don't. On an 05 or 06 car, you can blank them at any time, working or not.

I am on my phone ATM, so can't see what model yours is...
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #97914119th Sep 2012 3:08 pm
scotty15

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Ok I stand corrected Embarassed

Mine is a MY06 HSE I had blanked them off and it was running ok no probs then it failed on me and when into limp mode and loads of black smoke,after getting home which was only a few miles away turned it off and an hour or so later started it up and it was fine. So I had it's codes read and it came up with EGR fault so I put two new ones on and all was ok again never failed again. After takning then to bits it was the O/S valve that had failed due to the motor had died.

Andy
 06 reg disco 3 HSE MY 06. Sat nav ,fridge, LR phone kit, rear passenger climate,
BAS remap
Wiggs BT phone exchange unit and 3 flash indicators enabled 

Post #97918119th Sep 2012 4:25 pm
johnny585

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Can you blank all ages?

Post #97956720th Sep 2012 3:18 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Cannot put blanks directly on MY07 or later without a software change.

I know Pete was working on such a patch but being a MY05 owner I am not up to date with his modification.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #97957320th Sep 2012 3:31 pm
Zim

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Dave,

Did you receive any responses with regards to whether or not the EGR issue should / could have been picked up during the service? I have experienced a similar problem (unresponsive) after a fairly recent service which has disappeared completely. Mine is a MY2007.

General question - can this be addressed through my warranty?

Rob

Post #98078923rd Sep 2012 5:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >