Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

power loss going up hill. SOLVED
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
sankeytrailer

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
power loss going up hill. SOLVED

Driving MY06 manual 2.7 TDV6 (no pevious history of faults ), slowly lost power going up long hill, had to change down through all gears until crawling. Accelerator pedal ineffective, pulled over. What the Censored is going on ! Started off again, 1st gear, high revs, at about 2300 rpm car shot off like a Whippet, 2nd gear same, but when revs dropped off for higher gears, it all goes wrong again. Going down long hills car would gather speed up to 70mph, then slow down again on the next up hill.

Tends to make you very unpopular with the commercial vehicle population, especially if you are driving from Sussex to Suffolk.

Took it to the dealer to have the tea leaves read ( £64.80 ) and was told that both EGR valves had failed, that will be £731.64. Rolling with laughter

Did some research on this site Thumbs Up and decided to blank off said valves. Ordered kit from Paddocks, £45 inc p&p, instruction leaflet with photos comes with it. Nice. Its a very fiddly job to say the least and you need a good range of tools but even a crusty old DIY'er like me can do it. SOLVED the problem.

Top tip: follow the instructions to the letter, if you drop stuff you will never see it again and to withdraw the spindle from the butterfly valve they recommend to lever it out with a screwdriver, I used 2 pieces of thin metal with small 90 degree bends on the end to get behind the spindle boss and pulled hard !!! Good luck.

Post #96699618th Aug 2012 10:47 am
Mash

Guernsey 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I wouldn't say never see it again, however I did have wheel off, inner arch out, sump guard off, loads of heat shields etc, finally found plate with aid of a bore scope, and found the gasket too, that was recovered with a fishing hook. It took a day longer than planed but the amount of mud and crud I found behind the plastic arches was unreal am now glad I removed them.

Post #96740619th Aug 2012 9:26 pm
piper5

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Happened to me on holiday three weeks ago in the highlands, I pulled the pipes out of the plastic butterfly housing and crimped the ends flat, that did me the rest of the holiday till I got home and fitted a blanking kit, I believe you can blank the pipes with coins as well.

Post #96742419th Aug 2012 9:41 pm
Ash3

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

So I've heard. But that woudl only be a temp fix. I got my blanking kits sitting at home waiting to be fitted. Getting pretty crap mpg Twisted Evil at the moment though its all short trips around town driving..hopefully egrs blanked will improve. Thumbs Up

Post #96742819th Aug 2012 9:50 pm
piper5

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I had 22mpg before blanking 28after. Kit is easy to fit I used a telescopic magnet to make sure nothing was dropped

Post #96743619th Aug 2012 9:58 pm
Ash3

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Cheers piper, telescopic magnet, great idea Bow down

Heres to improved mpg Thumbs Up

Post #96768920th Aug 2012 6:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >