Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

LOWER FRONT WISHBONE REAR BUSH
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Timos

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
LOWER FRONT WISHBONE REAR BUSH

Help, can anyone help i need to change the LOWER FRONT WISHBONE REAR BUSH i have bought the FRONT LOWER one as well both sides.
But now i have look at the job and it is more complicated than i thought as it says i need special tools.
for the height adjust. The others i think i can make to remove and replace?
As anyone done this job can it be done.
Timos

Post #9613981st Aug 2012 6:30 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

No special tools needed bud for the heights once you have replaced the bushes then just nip the bolts and then jack the leg up to set a measurement of 465mm from just under the wheel arch to the center of the drive shaft.

Just make sure you mark up the bolts before you remove them..Also the lower rear bush bolt is the worst one to do as it gets all the weather on it and its normally solid and needs cutting off.
Its easier to change the whole arm complete with bushes and ball joint.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #9614421st Aug 2012 8:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Timos

Thank you for your reply. i got a Manual on CD it says you have to remove the hub! is it possible to replace the bushes by just dropping the rear? do you foresee any other problems that i can come across.
Thanks again

Post #9615172nd Aug 2012 5:38 am
Flack

Unnecessary quote removed

Do you mean just undo and remove both bottom bolts, I suppose you could but you would be pulling the drive shaft out and I would not recommend this way, that's why you need to remove the wheel knuckle so you don't pull the drive shaft fully out. The bushes are not just a push fit they are a very tight fit, if you have some kind of puller to get them in and out you should be ok, but your problem might be getting the top and bottom ball joints out of the wheel knuckle and you might end up cutting the bolts off especially the rear one.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #9615462nd Aug 2012 8:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Timos

Thanks again i will order a Ball Joint Separator Lever Type from ebay and was hoping to make a puller to remove the bushes from some piping. once the bushes arrive i can work on that for size.
i didnt want to remove the hub. in case the tracking needed rejusting but i will take your advice and remove the lower arm it will be better that way to remove and fit bushes. Thank you

Post #9616122nd Aug 2012 11:38 am
scotty15

I have just changed both my front lower arm rear bushes for poly bushes. The best way to get the old bushes out is to break the metal flange off that is at the rear most part of the bush and arm then you can use a hammer and a drift the inner part of the bush out then just use a hacksaw to cut a slot in the metal outer and job done.
The fisrt arm took 2.5 hrs and the second 1.5 hrs.
 06 reg disco 3 HSE MY 06. Sat nav ,fridge, LR phone kit, rear passenger climate,
BAS remap
Wiggs BT phone exchange unit and 3 flash indicators enabled 

Post #9616442nd Aug 2012 1:09 pm
Flack

Timos wrote:
Thanks again i will order a Ball Joint Separator Lever Type from ebay and was hoping to make a puller to remove the bushes from some piping. once the bushes arrive i can work on that for size.
i didnt want to remove the hub. in case the tracking needed rejusting but i will take your advice and remove the lower arm it will be better that way to remove and fit bushes. Thank you

Timos

Just make sure that if you buy a ball joint splitter that it will fit the D3 ball joints, they are bigger than normal and the ones on ebay I think will be to small unless they state they will fit.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #9618022nd Aug 2012 7:57 pm
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Ball Joint separator? Shocked Thought you were a FBH man Flack? Wink

Post #9619023rd Aug 2012 12:02 am
Timos

Ball Joint Separator Long Lever Type 17mm Jaw

Part No: 0803000
Easy Removal Without Damage
Long Lever Type
17mm Throat Width
Suitable For Car Or LCV
To Be Used With A 16mm Wrench Or Socket
Brand New
Ebay Item number: eBay Item No. 310084918102

Hi This is what i ordered. Do you think this will work?

Post #9619073rd Aug 2012 1:33 am
Biffysun

Timos, save yourself some cash and use the Standard Land Rover tool for the job Smile A Big F Censored Hammer! Very Happy Seriously! You can 'break' the taper on the ball joint quite easily by 'shocking' it, ie striking it on the side NOT the top/nut but a good sharp strike on the side of the joint Thumbs Up
Loosen the nut, take it off then put it on by hand a couple of turns, this is just to stop the ball joint dropping out when the taper breaks and drops, it will be fine, I'm sure most of the guys here use this method Wink

Post #9619173rd Aug 2012 7:37 am
Flack

Biffysun wrote:
Timos, save yourself some cash and use the Standard Land Rover tool for the job Smile A Big F Censored Hammer! Very Happy Seriously! You can 'break' the taper on the ball joint quite easily by 'shocking' it, ie striking it on the side NOT the top/nut but a good sharp strike on the side of the joint Thumbs Up
Loosen the nut, take it off then put it on by hand a couple of turns, this is just to stop the ball joint dropping out when the taper breaks and drops, it will be fine, I'm sure most of the guys here use this method Wink

Quote:
Biffysun

Your spot on but you always get one and I had one yesterday on a bottom arm that no amount of hitting with my biggest hammer would shift it, I had to get some heat on it then it moved.. Wink ..

Timos

I don't think that will fit, the bottom ball joint is long and I would have thought anything smaller than 50mm will not fit, and don't forget to get the bottom ball joint out you need to remove the drive shaft from the wheel knuckle.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #9619473rd Aug 2012 9:17 am
4x4nut

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Hey all. I need some help. I'm changing my wishbone bushes too and I'm having a nightmare of a time to shift my ball joint taper. Is there any other tips anyone can give me other then what is already in this tread. I have found some advice saying use a bigger hammer but I am at the stage where I have to remove the wing to get a sledge hammer in. I'm not keen on using heat as I don't have a oxy acetylene set. Not sure if some other heat sources would be sufficient enough. I am currently cleaning the ball joint and hub surface and getting as much penetrating fluid in it as much as I can.

I also not keen on cutting it as it will still leave me with the taper in the hub to get out which could be worse without the leverage of the wishbone and there will also be the problem that I will need to remove the ball joint from the wishbone.

Sorry if I have hi jacked that the topic. It's my first post on here (or any other site) but I through the best people to ask were already here.

Thanks

Post #9627435th Aug 2012 7:22 pm
Flack

Unnecessary quote removed Rolling Eyes

Put the lower not on to the taper just so it covers the thread then jack up the suspension on the nut so that the weight of the car is nearly all on the ball joint ( make sure you have an axle stand on the chassis) then give it a good stout knock with a good heavy hammer..

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #9627495th Aug 2012 7:29 pm
scotty15

The best way to shock the taper is to use two good size hammers and hit both at the same time on either side of the casting around the bottom ball joint. I had to use this method on one of my ball joints but the other side only took one good hit with the 2lb lump hammer to give in it's grip.
 06 reg disco 3 HSE MY 06. Sat nav ,fridge, LR phone kit, rear passenger climate,
BAS remap
Wiggs BT phone exchange unit and 3 flash indicators enabled 

Post #9627775th Aug 2012 8:14 pm
Biffysun

+1 for that Scotty Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #9627805th Aug 2012 8:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >