DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Front Lower Arms Knocking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
luciogodoy

Brazil 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Front Lower Arms Knocking

Hi All;

At the same time my car was for an A/C system check, I was told that the front lower bushes/lower arm were knocking (playing) and that I needed to replace it.

I have changed this part before in other cars, but never attempted this on the D3.

Is it easy to identify the problem and fix on the D3 (any special tools)?
Do I change the whole arm or just the bushes?
And (I guess) I need to do both sides right?

While I am in there would you recommend checking anything else that could have gone ‘sour’ because of this issue, pls?

Many thanks

Lucio
 I'm riding a R1250GSA Triple Back
Previous love: Disco 3 HSE MY07, D4 heated Steering/W, D4 rear cluster, D4 extended roof rack, D4 grille & air grille, D4 rear bumper, colour coded arches + front bumper, side-steps, Webasto timer/ remote control, De-Tangoed Xenon headlights + HID, LEDs all around, reverse CAM (RR hack) + brightness, DLR LEDs, 3-click indicator, SatNav on the move, EGR's done, front/rear antiroll bar Polybush, gearbox pan/filter + oil mega-flush. 

Post #9629786th Aug 2012 10:48 am
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

General consensus is replace the full arm, some go for RRS arms as they are more heavy duty? Shocked If you are replacing like for like then you could do just the one, however they have both covered the same mileage? and you should really get a 4x4 alignment done afterwards so if you can, do both at once then just the one alignment. There are bits and pieces on here about the job, if you are doing it be prepared to cut at least one bolt (rear) on each arm as they inevitably seize in the bush. Confused
Best way of cutting the bolt is a reciprocating saw with a decent metal blade, try to mark up the position of the 'cam' bolts to aid in the set up on rebuild but you would still need a proper alignment done Thumbs Up

Post #9629806th Aug 2012 10:57 am
luciogodoy

HI Biffysun

Thank you for your reply.

I'll replace both and then go for a full 4x4 alignment.

From a price perspective, have done a search on Google and prices goes from £177+VAT to £180+VAT per arm.

I believe the cheapest parts aren't original LR.

Do I need to order spare bolts as the current ones will definitely get damaged.

Thanks

Lucio
Previous love: Disco 3 HSE MY07, D4 heated Steering/W, D4 rear cluster, D4 extended roof rack, D4 grille & air grille, D4 rear bumper, colour coded arches + front bumper, side-steps, Webasto timer/ remote control, De-Tangoed Xenon headlights + HID, LEDs all around, reverse CAM (RR hack) + brightness, DLR LEDs, 3-click indicator, SatNav on the move, EGR's done, front/rear antiroll bar Polybush, gearbox pan/filter + oil mega-flush. 

Post #9630226th Aug 2012 1:18 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

luciogodoy

Go through site sponsor TLO from Yeovil Land Rover you get 20% off for being a member of the site, and yes get new bolts and also I would get new ARB bushes as well because your in the area and easy to do at same time.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #9630326th Aug 2012 1:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
luciogodoy

Unnecessary quote removed

Hey Flack;

That’s a great idea, who doesn't appreciate a 20% discount!

In relation to the ARB bushes, are they easy to change?

Thanks

Lucio

Post #9630386th Aug 2012 2:23 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Unnecessary quote removed

Lucio

They are not your average home diy job they can be a right pig to change thats why its easier to change the complete arm you get new ball joint as well as bushes, the rear lower bolt is the worst and the bottom balljoint can be stuck sometimes but all doable with the right technique ( a BIG hammer ). Just remember to mark up the position of the bolts before you remove them. And get a four wheel alignment done after by a place that knows how to setup a D3.

ARB bushes are easy to change just get plenty of freeing oil on the bolts before you start to remove them.

flack Thumbs Up

Post #9630516th Aug 2012 2:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >