Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

D3 TDV6 torque convertor problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
PeterOZ

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
D3 TDV6 torque convertor problem

hoping some of the knowledgable folk can advise on this one.

My D3 has for about 6 months had this "noise" and vibration that comes in at around 50 - 70 kmh and it noticeable as you just back off a little on throttle or slightly apply throttle.

It almost sounds like a "brrttttttttt" sort of noise, and apprears to resonate through the drive train causing a vibration to be felt.

Very apparant when cold.

I have had it to the stealer about 5 times for this and they have no idea, keep telling me they can not hear it and when one of their guys came for a drive one day he did hear it but still they can not dignose it.

They did a transmission service, covered by the lease company thank goodness but no difference. The noise and vibration is gradually getting worse.

I spoke to MR auto at Redcliffe about servicing costs etc for my D3 as I'm about to come off lease and keeping the car. I mentioned the symptoms I am getting and immediately he said it was the torque convertor. they have had several present of late with this exact issue and symptoms.

Anyone else have this expereince? The car is at the stealers at present and have asked to to look again at this and told them what MR had stated.

Not sure if it is a warranty type thing or not. As I have had it to LR now 5 times including extended periods left with them, 3 & 4 days I expect that LR should warrant this problem. The car is covered by LR extended warranty.

Would love to see what people have expereinced with this and what the costs are.

Cheers
Peter

Post #95865525th Jul 2012 4:44 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If it is a vibration rather than a judder then it may be your front driveshaft. They are close to the cat and the joints get hot and can dry out. Mine is doing this, it sarted with vibration under load at 70kph and now I can feel it under load or not. I will replace it when it get too annoying. There is an aftermarket one (same manufacturer as OEM I think) available for as lot less. Been quoted $650 fitted. Could be the rear shaft, check the bush/bearing.
Check other possibilities if it is speed related eg wheel balance or wheel bearing. If it is the TC then it will happen on gear changes. as the TC locks and unlocks.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #95865625th Jul 2012 4:53 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >