DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

humming noise.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
dan288

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
humming noise.

Hi everyone,

I had a quite a good read last week on here conserning noises coming from the front diff. It seems alot of us had this low humming noise at about 35 to 50 mph, or some mentioned at about 18k rpm.

I took my D3 to a guy who was so good with my bmw 330d. Embarassed I told him i wanted to have the diff oils changed etc. i took him out for a drive and he seems to think its the EGR. Apparently vauxhalls used to very load when theirs kicked in. He sys it sounds and feels as though the noise is only happening at certain throttle positions and different speeds and if it was the diff it should me more uniformed rather than how its doing it. Now i know that a lot of you have lots of experience of these lovely expensive things but i just wanted to throw it out there. Neutral
Even so i still asked him to do both front and rear for me next week just in case.

Any thoughts?

Post #95862824th Jul 2012 11:42 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

More likely a front wheel bearing. Anything 50k miles onwards they can start to moan.

Post #95863024th Jul 2012 11:49 pm
dan288

Thats one thought i had but again so many people on here seem to have the same noise, and lots of them have had bearings done and new diffs and oil changes.
Would a bearing not more of a whirrling noise and pehaps be more constant at all speeds?
Question

Post #95863325th Jul 2012 12:00 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

To be honest, whirring, whining, groaning, etc.. They are all different interpretations of the same. Wheel bearings fail fairly regularly, and its easy to jack up the wheel and feel for movement.

Post #95863925th Jul 2012 12:22 am
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

drive down the centre of a smooth quiet road at 35 mph, turn 5 degree to the left then straighten up, then 5 degree to the right, if the noise stops when you go left but not when you go right then ITS the opposite side of the car needs the bearings ie in this case left hand side.

if the noise continues both left and right, then more likely to be DIFF/drivetrain related so could be front or rear diff or driveshaft bearings (which would mean a complete driveshaft as yer cant buy the bearings.)

So get someone to drain the diffs and see how might metallic deposits are on the inside of the drain nut (which has a magnet on the inside of it).
BTW make sure you put back the same spec diff oil depending on whether you have a locking diff or normal diff spec is in the bakc of the owners manual Thumbs Up

Post #95901725th Jul 2012 11:01 pm
Grunders

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Re: humming noise.

dan288 wrote:
, or some mentioned at about 18k rpm. ?

I think at that revs anything would be humming
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #95902125th Jul 2012 11:35 pm
haroosh

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3
Re: humming noise.

dan288 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I had a quite a good read last week on here conserning noises coming from the front diff. It seems alot of us had this low humming noise at about 35 to 50 mph, or some mentioned at about 18k rpm.

I took my D3 to a guy who was so good with my bmw 330d. Embarassed I told him i wanted to have the diff oils changed etc. i took him out for a drive and he seems to think its the EGR. Apparently vauxhalls used to very load when theirs kicked in. He sys it sounds and feels as though the noise is only happening at certain throttle positions and different speeds and if it was the diff it should me more uniformed rather than how its doing it. Now i know that a lot of you have lots of experience of these lovely expensive things but i just wanted to throw it out there. Neutral
Even so i still asked him to do both front and rear for me next week just in case.

Any thoughts?

Hi Dan,
I'm no expert but have recently had a failed front diff and your symptoms sound nothing like what I experienced. The diff is Independant to throttle and related to speed instead so if you get up to a certain speed and put in neutral the diff noise will still be there. The noise was also only present on the overrun and disappeared when accelerating.
My advise for what it's worth is get an experienced Independant to have a listen and they will probably have a good idea what's up. I went to Discomikey at Strathearn Engineering and he pretty quickly diagnosed the fault.
Cheers,
Keith.

Post #95904726th Jul 2012 7:36 am
ajaekel

Germany 

Hi everyone.

I have a D3 at about 190k and already got a new diff at 185k. I did not change the diff for that reason, but thought, that this humming noise would disappear as well. It's still there.

It seems to appear everytime I drive a slight hill at moderate throttle. If this noise appears and I reduce throttle it immediately disappears. I feel like this noise is coming from out of the gear.

My technician said, that this is a usual noise for a D3 and some new cars even have this noise.

For me its annoying and I'm afraid of an expensive repair. Anyone an idea?

Regards,
Achim

Post #95904926th Jul 2012 7:48 am
dan288

thats what i am getting. I guess thats why my bmw tech said about the EGR valve thing. because it only opens at certain times is why its making that low pitch drone. and then stops as soon as the throttle is released.

Post #95906426th Jul 2012 8:15 am
Keesiev

Netherlands 

It indeed is the EGR. It opens and closes and creates some vibration in the engine. It is related to the euro 4 standard. It seems stupid for such an expensive car to have it, but at least it does no harm.
It distinguishes from other drivetrain noises as you stated, by the fact it has a relation to throttle position. It also comes in just a bit later, after you reach the steady speed of around 50 mph.

Post #131562924th Jul 2014 7:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >