Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Portable DVD player for rear?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Rabbit Leader

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Portable DVD player for rear?

Anyone recommend a good portable DVD player? The sort that will clip/tie on/fix to the back of the seat for the boy to watch Thomas the Tank engine? Rolling with laughter

Also, anyone know the part number for the cigarette lighter/12v socket for the rear of the console (between the front seats) so I can power it? (my GS only has the blanking plate, but I believe the wires are already behind it)

As always, thank you Bow down

ps Got my 2012 calendar today - great! Very Happy
 Paramedic, Father, Dog lover and Husband ... in no particular order!  
Post #8803287th Jan 2012 8:43 pm
zagonda

United Kingdom 

Go for the roof mounted like mine. Easy to install, all the wires are there. Piece of cake.........

Post #8803697th Jan 2012 9:47 pm
Chips1973

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Zagonda,
What size/model rosen is that ? I have the glass roof and it looks like maybe the size you have would be a fraction to big for mine .
When you say the wires are already there , did you mean waiting for a dvd player or did you take the power from the interior lights that were removed , I thinking of fitting one and thought of just taking the power from the interior light , if so did you manage to find a switched live there and a permanent live ?
Sorry for the questions but trying to make my mind up if to fit one myself or find someone to do the job.

Post #8805048th Jan 2012 11:11 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I bought my kids a cheap Proline one each a few years ago. It comes with a rechargeable battery built in and you can also pug in an SD card with movies, music or photos. Brilliant and simple to use. Comet and Halfords do them for about £70. They come with a case that you use to attach to the back of the front head rests.

When he gets older IPads are the way to go. Silent journeys with no bickering make any trip a joy! Thumbs Up

Post #8805078th Jan 2012 11:18 am
sopjas

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I have the twin set form Bush sold from argos, had them two years with no problems, If you take a feed from the rear aux in the centre console then I fed mine up the back of the inside of the seat and out near the headrest so no unsightly cables.

Think £120 will get you the pair.
 'Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive'

Buckingham blue, Webast timer/remote, AT2s, Black & Silver ovals ,
Privacy Glass , Drilled and Groved Discs , Xenons, Rear LED's , Light Guards,Hawkeye diagnostic unit.
TL1000R--XR600R-- 

Post #8805108th Jan 2012 11:26 am
zagonda

United Kingdom 

HI Chips, It's a Rosen A7. I used the live feed for the light to power the dvd, then put a switch on the side so i could turn it off to stop the kids messing with it. It's simple to wire up, the hardest part is making the bracket to fix it to. There is no cutting required, It all fits over the light cluster hole.
Here's a pic of JKP's dvd with a sunroof......

Post #8806558th Jan 2012 5:26 pm
mike23118

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Twisted Evil ooooowwwwwwwwwaaaaaa 7 of 9 She,d have to have it what a bod
You will be lucky to get a rosen would be easier to get one of those roof mounted one's of ebay with built in games , head phones and wireless game pad
 Now Renault Trafic
D4 gone
D3 gone 

Post #8806598th Jan 2012 5:46 pm
Chips1973

Bought a 9 inch one off ebay in the end with games and two sets of headphones for £108 ,really simple to fit with no cutting and as said I just soldered wires onto interior light wires , has usb and sd card reader so should hopefully future proof it a bit if dvd's go the way of video cassettes , other nice bit is that you can swivel it around and operate it from the front seats as our kids are too young to operate it on their own , on the old truck with dvd headrest I was always having to pull over to restart or change a dvd , now my wife can do it from the passenger seat . Thumbs Up

Post #88231511th Jan 2012 11:49 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Didn't realise that's all you paid for it. Cracking fit, looked the part. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #88233912th Jan 2012 12:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bmurphy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
swicthed live

Hi Chips

I just got exactly the same unit, works a treat. On the wiring loom already in the roof, Black is earth, purple is door light, and green is perm live, but what did you use for a switched live. there is a red wire but it seems to do nothing?

Thanks
Murf

Post #95676319th Jul 2012 10:25 pm
mrszymon

2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: swicthed live

bmurphy wrote:
Hi Chips

I just got exactly the same unit, works a treat. On the wiring loom already in the roof, Black is earth, purple is door light, and green is perm live, but what did you use for a switched live. there is a red wire but it seems to do nothing?

Thanks
Murf

Hrm, the wiring loom in my roof is different. Purple is door live, everything else is ground?

Post #95679619th Jul 2012 11:12 pm
Wolvoland

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Was thinking of fitting on of these units, any idea, how it would work with the HSE rear aircon controls?

Would they be in the way, or is there a simple way to install over them?

Post #95728521st Jul 2012 11:45 am
mrszymon

2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My HSE doesn't have rear aircon controls, they weren't standard were they? Either way if you have them I don't think here's an easy way...

Post #95729021st Jul 2012 11:51 am
Chips1973

Re: swicthed live

bmurphy wrote:
Hi Chips

Thanks
Murf

Hi Murf ,
Didn't bother with switched live , just wired them into permanent live , if you forget to switch off the unit when leaving the car it switches itself off after about ten minutes off the car stopping so works a treat ,but it still remembers where you last left off and restarts from the same posisition if you see what I mean .
The other good thing is that it doesn't switch off and need restarting everytime you crank the engine like the headrest ones did on my old navara , must have a bigger battery reserve on the discovery Smile
The only issue I had on the navara ones and this one is that when they are using the headphones it does interfere with radio reception in anything less than perfect reception areas and you end up having to listen to cd's instead , other than that they are worth every last penny , my eldest boy is getting to the age that he can work the remote and switch headphones on for his little brother ......Bliss Laughing

Post #95740021st Jul 2012 6:20 pm
bmurphy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Roof DVD

Thanks, I went with the permanent live in the end, after I noticed it does turn off when I lock the car so it won't run the battery flat.

I can't get the IR headphones to work or the radio to tune into the FM transmitter though. any ideas of something obvious I've missed or what the radio frequency is ?

Thanks

Post #95759822nd Jul 2012 10:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >