Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Electric Brake Controller Wiring
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Tril

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3
Electric Brake Controller Wiring

I have currently the land rover tow 2 piece wiring harness and a brake controller that I remeved from my lnadcruiser. I have heard there is a brake controller quick connection under the dash. Is this true? any one seen this http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?S...ry_Code=BC

Post #11324726th Dec 2006 9:11 pm
catweasel

Re: Electric Brake Controller Wiring

Tril wrote:
Is this true?
no
what controller do you have

Post #11334627th Dec 2006 8:10 am
Tril

http://www.tekonsha.com/tevoyagerintro.html In my landcruiser it had to be spliced into the brakes, trailer harness, etc. I think they sell the plug that will have connect 4 wires on plug to 4 wires on controller then just plug it in under dash.

Post #11340127th Dec 2006 2:24 pm
catweasel

I have the prodigy, which has the same wiring setup as the voyager and you need to wire it in yourself to the brakes, battery and trailer plug. it is not a hard job ( once you know how) and could give you some giudance if you like.

Post #11361828th Dec 2006 7:09 am
Tril

That would be great i would really appreciate it. Im pretty good with this stuff already but any tips would help. I was surprised that I couldnt find a HOW TO on this anywhere. i assumed others also bought the LR3 for its towing capabilities.

Post #11372528th Dec 2006 2:28 pm
catweasel

will post something after work tommorrow with a few pics.

Post #11372628th Dec 2006 2:30 pm
Tril

THANKS ALOT. JUST SO YOU KNOW I HAVE THE WIRING HARNESS FROM LR NOT INSTALLED YET. IT IS 2 PIECES IF YOU KNOW THE ONE.

Post #11372728th Dec 2006 2:36 pm
catweasel

what I did was run the cables in first, two thru to the engine bay into the battery box. as you have an auto, you should have a spare grommet to put the cables in. another cable goes from the brake switch to the controller and the last goes from the controller to the rear of the vehicle to where the tow pack fuses sit. this is the worst to run and I ran it behind the stereo and glovebox, down past the kick panel, under the scuff panels and followed the loom past the rear air to the tow fuses. once ran I locked the D3 with bonnet open and left it for ten minutes and then disconnected the battery ( both legs) fitted the C/B and wired up as shown and put the neg to the stud as shown. with the brake sw, I removed the connector from the brake switch, then removed the outer (green with purple tracer) wire and spliced the brake wire from the controller to it and then covered with heat shrink and reinstalled switch. with the blue wire which I ran to the rear I joined it to the appropriate wire as per local regs which is the brown wire here which uses pin 5. this part you will need to check your US wiring diags and which pin you use or just meter it out. I remo0ved the brown wire from the fuse holder as pictured and then joined with my blue wire a restored the pin back to the fuse holder for potential further use.

cicuit breaker and connection to relay/fusebox in batt box

-ve/ground just outside of BJB

route of cabling in grey spiraflex going into BJB thru trunking across the rear of the engine bay

other side of trunking with cables going thru grommet in fire wall. brake fluid resevoir in the foreground

splice onto brake wiring. you will need to check with one of your NA
mates as to colour code if it is not the same as GTR is playing silly Censored at the moment

reinserted and insulated with CC heatshrink

brown wire removed from fuse 5 ready for splicing. reinsert connector after for future use

after splicing

location of brake controller cradle. for me it sits infront of my left knee but it's a personal choice.

this is just a quick rundown as I am ill at the moment and you will probably have more questions than answers now but it gives you an idea.
one other thing I did was to put the wiring harness into a 4way connector (from any automotive electricians) and the other wiring into the female part to make it a bit easier to remove and alot of the soldering etc can be done outside the car.

Post #1145201st Jan 2007 2:55 pm
Tril

Thanks for the input. Wired the factory harness so far. Still looking into the prewired brake controller set-up. Check out this link:

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/archi...-1488.html

I have found more like it but no conclusive info. I have found companies selling the harness to connect under the dash and I do have a connection under my dash but not sure if its the right one.

Post #1148282nd Jan 2007 7:30 pm
Tril

Ok so there IS a brake controller connection under the dash. There is a grey plug attached to the upper portion or the brake pedal. This adapter is what I used http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?S...ry_Code=BC With that, the factory 7 pin wiring harness and any brake controller, you are set to tow a trailer with brakes. No wiring on your own!!!

Last edited by Tril on 15th Jan 2007 1:32 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #1149873rd Jan 2007 2:25 am
catweasel

interesting. have had a look on mine and cannot find this connector, also had a look on GTR and can find no reference to it in the cct diags or the connector list. do you have any pics of it.

Post #1150893rd Jan 2007 2:41 pm
Tril

Yeh I have 2 wiring diagrams from LR showing it. They are PDF's can I upload those into my gallery. I dont have any pics but i will run out to my car in a bit and get some. You have to remove the panel above the brake/gas pedals and there is a grey plug up there. Definately there just need to do a little searching. I may be the first person to have confirmed and installed the brake controller this way because I have been looking a lot and nobody seemed to think it actually was there.

Post #1150963rd Jan 2007 2:52 pm
catweasel

top left of the pdf will have a number and description and bottom right will have a page number. list these and I can look them up

Post #1150983rd Jan 2007 2:55 pm
Tril

417-p174-p175

Try that. I saved them as JPEG but it wont let me upload into my gallery.

Post #1151023rd Jan 2007 2:59 pm
Tril

Ok check my gallery now.

Post #1151053rd Jan 2007 3:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >