Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Squeak from rear handbrake shoes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Paul Ian

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Squeak from rear handbrake shoes

Hi would appreciate comments and feedback regarding my Disco, two weeks ago I renewed the rear Discs and Pads using original parts and followed Bodsy's bible, I must point out the handbrake shoes were like new and did not require changing. I thoroughly cleaned all components as required and on completion carried out the bedding in road test for the EPB system. However since renewing the parts there is a screech noise on releasing the EPB switch and moving off the noise is intermittent and sounds like the handbrake shoes are binding, I have since removed the discs and heeled and toed the rear handbrake shoes cleaning all moving parts again and applying yet more copperslip. I have let the manual adjuster off more than the 8 clicks as recommended in Bodys,s bible the system will lock the rear wheels when the EPB switch is engaged however on releasing the there is a slight bind for a few turns then all is fine. Just wondered if anyone has come across this problem before. On reflection I feel I should have just changed the rear pads as all was perfect before!

Regards

Paul

Post #9505894th Jul 2012 7:23 pm
Andy@Greta

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Yeah, me too.
I now have a squeeky spot on the rotation of the NSR but as I've only done a few miles since replacing discs and pads all round I'm hoping they'll wear-in soon. I have also found the OSF bearing slightly loose so another strip down in the offing before next weeks trip to France... Shocked

Post #95977128th Jul 2012 6:50 am
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Paul,

When you stripped down the brakes, did you strip and clean the epb brake shoes and all the parts, inc the the shoe levers, these can sieze and cause the brakes not to release as they should
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #95977228th Jul 2012 7:05 am
Andy@Greta

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Quick spray with air duster and brake cleaner. Noise seems to come from one point on the rotation, almost like the disk has a high spot or slight warp but nothing too obvious to the naked eye and finger. noise could be coming from either the shoes or pads. Still hoping they may bed in after a few more miles, or rather, a bit more braking Confused Brakes and EPB are working OK. Noise comes and goes depending on road speed and manouvering, anyway, only apparent when the windows are open Wink

Post #96047429th Jul 2012 11:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >