Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Hands free, Tom Tom 700 or Parrot 3100
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BCP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Hands free, Tom Tom 700 or Parrot 3100

Hi, Still stuck trying to get a decent hands free for a SE910i and K750i. Anyone using the Tom Tom 700 or the Parrot 3100. I'd love to hear the pros and cons. Thanks.

Post #873727th Jul 2005 6:49 pm
simon.foster

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I am using the TomTom Go 700. Very powerful and its great that you can just charge it and place it in the location where the standard LR satnav sits. Less impressed with the blue tooth hands free phone as my headset is much clearer.

One thing that has impressed me is the trial traffic info that you can download via your phone. In the past week it has proved invaluable and I have used the TomTom to find alternative routes.

I would recommend you go for the 500 version as the handset is useless.

One final note beware of theives , if you have the suction mounting on the windscreen they may go hunting for it in your car.
 Disco 3 TDV6HSE Cairns blue auto
Defender 90 300TDi 1997 

Post #873927th Jul 2005 6:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

Yes, I have the TomTom 700 and a few Parrot sets, the 3300 is by far the best. All that is required is to take the radio out and plug the Parrot unit in behind and away you go. Gives GPS and a sim card space as well as a bluetooth connection for upto 5 phones I think. I also use TomTom 5 now with PDA's and a Holux link to Road Angel.

I like TomTom700 as I can put in a hire car when I go to Europe as well, just plug in and go, yep phone naff.

Down side with TomTom is that it does not work too well through the heating elements and needs an aerial to get excellent reception

However, Road Angel are bringing out a new GPS system to compete with TomTom with Road Angel built in and using Garmin mapping, which is excellent.

Hope this helps.

Post #874227th Jul 2005 7:22 pm
marc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

simon.foster wrote:
One final note beware of theives , if you have the suction mounting on the windscreen they may go hunting for it in your car.

I second that.

One of my mates has just had his TomTom pinched out of his car because he left the stand sucking on his window.

Thats the only problem with the TomTom. it is too large to put in your pocket so you have to leave it in your car when you go out.

Cheers

Marc
 Disco 3 now gone!!

Discovery 3 S spec 2.7 V6 Diesel. Smile

Previous Car to D3: Seat Leon Cupra R with a nice 280 bhp...... Sad to see it go Sad 

Post #874727th Jul 2005 8:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BCP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

BN, I've worked my way through umpteen auto electricians who all say nothing can be plugged into the LR radio. If the 3300 will plug into the base unit I'll be sorted. Is it the base unit you've used? Many thanks, BCP

Post #874827th Jul 2005 8:44 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

My brother-in-law, who is a Surrey cop, told me this morning that the big deal at the moment is the people who have portable sat navs in the car, and leave the mount obvious. They are the second force in the country, apparently, who have set up a team to deal with the problem.

So, if you have a moveable mount, move it when you leave the vehicle or, as Simon says, the friendly types will break in to look in your glove box.....

Post #875127th Jul 2005 9:20 pm
BN

England 

Yes, this is attached to a Disco S and they had to get a junction unit or something which took away the timer delay in the D3 ignition line and that was it.

I have one in the motorhome which attached to a Grundid radio, but it is basic and no frills, that took me about 20 minutes to fit, but I did have to cut one wire as the ignition wire was always live on feed. All I did was place a switch in line, job done. Obviously a motorhome has a need for a radio when the keys are out of the ignition, hence the difference.

Re the thefts, anything that gives a theif a clue is bound to attract attention. I never use the mounts and of course the Parrot is discreet. Not only that, I have CATE in my vehicles, so anyone going near I am told and if anything else happens all hell lets lose, including smoke. I am hoping to have it fitted to the D3 I am taking on the 7th, but time is against me maybe. I do have a demo case for anyone interested however.

Post #875427th Jul 2005 9:33 pm
simon.foster

I don't use the TomTom suction mount anymore especially as it tending to shake about all the time which was a distraction. I now rest the TomTom on the dashboard ledge where the factory satnav sits. It looks quite neat and still seems to pick up the requisite satelites.
Defender 90 300TDi 1997 

Post #876127th Jul 2005 11:03 pm
BN

England 

I sit mine on the ledge, but have a bit of a problem with the signal, do you have the heated front windscreen?

Post #877228th Jul 2005 7:50 am
simon.foster

Yes I do, it sometimes take a while to pick up satelites if I switch it on and move off in the car straight away. The trick is to put it in the car and leave it a few minutes before you set off, it seems to pick up the satelites better when stationary. Once they are picked up its fine.
Defender 90 300TDi 1997 

Post #877528th Jul 2005 8:24 am
marc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

BN wrote:
Re the thefts, anything that gives a theif a clue is bound to attract attention. I never use the mounts and of course the Parrot is discreet. Not only that, I have CATE in my vehicles, so anyone going near I am told and if anything else happens all hell lets lose, including smoke. I am hoping to have it fitted to the D3 I am taking on the 7th, but time is against me maybe. I do have a demo case for anyone interested however.

BN,

I for one would be very interested in seeing the demo on CATE on the 7th.

Cheers

Marc
 Disco 3 now gone!!

Discovery 3 S spec 2.7 V6 Diesel. Smile

Previous Car to D3: Seat Leon Cupra R with a nice 280 bhp...... Sad to see it go Sad 

Post #877828th Jul 2005 8:31 am
BN

England 

Marc, I will bring a demo unit along if I have been unable to install it in the D3 by then.

Post #878128th Jul 2005 8:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >