Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Warranty Direct - Steering Rack Wear & Tear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
maddogsetc

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Warranty Direct - Steering Rack Wear & Tear

Been told by my trusted indy, after discussions with LR, that steering rack is likely cause of a nasty vibration felt through the steering wheel under braking.

Warranty direct have refused to pay on the grounds that it is wear and tear and within the first 90 days.

Anyone else had a similar claim refused or paid by WD?

Post #9397698th Jun 2012 10:56 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

The 90 days exclusion is if you have not come from a warranty, I'm assuming that's the case? They do cover wear & tear (certainly have for me for 2 years) but the exclusion is there if you've not come from a warranty and they stick to it.

Post #9397778th Jun 2012 11:07 am
haroosh

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3
Re: Warranty Direct - Steering Rack Wear & Tear

Unnecessary quote removed

Are you sure the rack is the cause of the vibration? I was told that a few months back by local Indy then took it to another indy and they ended up diagnosing front discs. The funny thing was the discs at fault were only 3 months old. Just might be worth getting a second opinion before shelling out.

Post #9397838th Jun 2012 11:30 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Does sound a bit like commonal garden warped discs, is the vibration present under light braking but when more pressure is applied the vibration goes, or at least reduces??

Post #9397958th Jun 2012 11:54 am
maddogsetc

Yep, no warranty before, thought I'd been lucky enough so took out the WD cover before my luck ran out! I guess should have lived with it for a few weeks and then booked it in. Hindsight...

Both indie and I thought warped discs but they have checked and def. not the problem. Trust them too, they have been advising me about worn lower wishbones for last 2-3 services so had booked in for that and steering rack inner joints / check brake discs (which were replaced last October and still under guarantee) plus some other work on the rear suspension.

They could have done all that without question but didn't want to put me to all that expense as they weren't convinced it would cure the problem.

WD have been less than impressive so far, kept garage waiting for 2 days before asking for MOT details, then 'lost' them and kept us waiting another week before refusing the claim. And even though indie told them the problem wasn't there when car was serviced in March so couldn't be down to gradual wear and tear, they still insist that wear and tear is the reason for refusal. Not really surprised though - I am a cynic by nature!

Post #9398588th Jun 2012 2:02 pm
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

You have bought a 9 month warranty for the price of a 12 month one from WD unfortunatly.
 SOLD - 23my Range Rover Sport D300 Dynamic SE  
Post #9399568th Jun 2012 5:54 pm
maddogsetc

Yep, was well aware of what I was buying, just not convinced this is actually a 'wear and tear' failure.

Post #9400138th Jun 2012 8:39 pm
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

This kind of sucks as I am pretty much doing the same as you.

I spoke with WD and they are selling a 13 months for the price of 12 month policy including wear and tear. £520 for the year for the extra care level of cover. will also throw in egr cover, air bags etc etc

However as my car hasnt come from another warranty then I cant claim on wear and tear for 90 days..... aint great as it now makes the deal look particularly average.

Also saw a note in the small print that when the vehicle gets to 60k on the mileage you have to make a contribution to the costs of the parts ? as mine is at 56k it now doesnt make much sense.

Post #94544222nd Jun 2012 9:22 am
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just to give a little balance to the discussion.

I recently had a rear suspension problem caused by (as written on the MOT advisory) worn rear bushes. At 81K miles, this was an obvious W&T issue. My policy with WD included the said W&T cover and to be fair to WD, there was no argument about the claim being covered. The only 'discussion' I had was regarding the workshop time required - their figures were significantly less than I was looking for. A quick bit of research and provided them with the LR RTS data resulted in their payout without further ado.

In the one claim, I have almost recovered the full poicy cost.

Yes there was an excess to pay and there was 'betterment' but I knew that to be the case.

Bottom line - did WD honour the agreement fairly ??

Short answer - yes.

Thumbs Up

Post #94544622nd Jun 2012 9:32 am
Mr Kington

thats good to know and to be fair so far, they do seem to be heads and shoulders above everyone else. Regarding betterment ? what does this actually mean ?

Post #94544722nd Jun 2012 9:33 am
DSL

Ukraine 

From another thread:

DSL wrote:
If, like me, you've got an old, high mileage banger (06 & 93k) and you get, say, the gearbox replaced then they deem that your car has been bettered, hence betterment. It's a sliding scale but at 100k it's only 50% you get of the parts, but all the labour. Hence if you get "no betterment" you don't loose the 50% of parts, you get all of the caim back with just the £50 excess lopped off. Deffo worth having. Smile

Post #94544822nd Jun 2012 9:36 am
Mr Kington

Thanks and kind of makes sense. So warranty directs betterment starts at a mileage of 60k then, and on a sliding scale from there in relation to how much they fork out for the parts.

Regarding old mot certs etc, do they look at these then to see if there were any advisories to conclude that a problem was already exisiting prior to taking the warranty out ? Can they also phone a main landrover dealer to get info on your car aswell ? am guessing for the latter they cant ?

Post #94545522nd Jun 2012 9:45 am
bozmandb9

United Kingdom 

To be fair to WD, if they didn't have the 90 day exclusion on wear and tear, they would go bust in months, since people would just buy cover as soon as an expensive problem became evident.

I just think it's fantastic that they cover Wear and Tear, just wish I had discovered it a couple of failed engines and gearboxes ago! Big Cry

Post #94561422nd Jun 2012 3:15 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mr Kington wrote:
Regarding old mot certs etc, do they look at these....
Probably, they always ask for a copy of the last MOT when submitting a claim and it's easy to check MOT history here with the test number The End  
Post #94561722nd Jun 2012 3:28 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

They just paid me for my worn out wheel bearing, and a 4 wheel alignment. Got a cheque on the way. All I had to do was email over a pdf of my MOT, the dealer had the last service details.

I just need another £400 claim and I will be even. Thumbs Up

Post #94561922nd Jun 2012 3:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >