Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

How much 2 stroke oil should I add to my diesel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 26 of 30 <123 ... 252627 282930>
adam

United Kingdom 

Re. water in 2T - see below I got from Castrol..

Reply back from technical guy at Castrol below...

Regarding the Power 1 Racing 2T you were using in your Land Rover – as suggested on the phone, I don’t think that you will have any issues, being a very small % , and the fact that this recall is a safety recall as there “may” be some water content in some batches of oils – [i]we have yet to find any in the UK. Thinking further about your application - if there was any water in the system – as we discussed the tendency for condensation and water to normally collect in the fuel tank anyway, don’t some diesel vehicles have filters designed to take out water before it gets to the pump ? This could be the case in your vehicle so again, further reducing any potential risk ?

However, as a safety precaution I would suggest that you don’t use the remaining oil as its from one of the batches we are recalling and use one that isn’t on the recall list or purchase some new product to use . if you can send me the pack that you have part used I can check it and let you know that its ok for peace of mind.[/i]

Post #110373114th May 2013 2:01 pm
pigeon

Shocked just had a look at mine Thumbs Up all ok, good job I have 20 bottles

Post #111776915th Jun 2013 6:37 pm
blue200tdi

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

A guy in Land Rover owner international magazine doesn't approve of adding two stroke oil. There is a piece in the Q&A section asking whether it's a good idea.
 You guys are gonna be busier than a test bench in a plunger factory!
Java black 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE AUTO.
2014 Kawasaki ZZR1400 Performance sport. 

Post #111808516th Jun 2013 1:26 pm
rockcrawler

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

blue200tdi wrote:
A guy in Land Rover owner international magazine doesn't approve of adding two stroke oil. There is a piece in the Q&A section asking whether it's a good idea.

What was his argument against it ?
 D3 Metropolis Bonatti Grey-Alpaca Leather-adaptive headlights-fridge-EGR blanking kit-Harmen Karden-Cruise-4x4 info enabled-Tinted Windows-Heated F&R Seats-Rosen rear Entertainment-LED'S everywhere -Smoked Side Repeaters-Rear Aircon-Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme-Puddle and Footwell Lamps-Stainless Steel Side Protection Tubes- NEW ASHTRAY ( thanks to dsd1036 )
Club BAS Remote FBH
Club MXS10 Ctek
Club Beanie Grill
Rear D4 Lamps
Geoff Gearbox Flush
BAS Remap 

Post #111845017th Jun 2013 8:58 am
chesters

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Quick Question

My 2T oil is red, if my tank is dipped could this look like red diesel.

Thanks
Paul.
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #112409628th Jun 2013 7:28 am
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

blue200tdi wrote:
The red two stroke oil will make absolutely no difference what so ever if you get stopped for a fuel check! Red diesel actually has a dye in it that will dye the tank and even the filler neck. They will know as soon as they extract some that it isn't red diesel. Adding two stroke oil is not illegal either.

Even if you do get tested you'll have nothing to worry about...as long as you aren't using red diesel.

Like he says Thumbs Up

TBH, if you look at red diesel its a lot "redder" than any 2so, so at the sort of dilution we're using, I doubt you'd ever notice it in the tank anyway.
 Clive

Post #112411728th Jun 2013 8:29 am
Snapper66

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Hi, having very recently become the proud owner of a 54 plate discovery 3, and being a bit of a novice when I come to mechanics, I've already gleaned a wealth of information from this site, and have just completed reading this very long thread, and have a question to ask - apologies if its been covered, as I say if it has been explained already, I'll have read it and watched it fly several meters over my head, so I wonder if some one can give me the answer for the mentally challenged Shocked
As I say, I've got a 54 plate s model, with 104k on the clock and am currently working my way through the miriad of problems that became apparent once I'd driven out of the showroom and heard the door slam behind me, such as the auto selector that failed to go into drive as I pulled off the drive with a large caravan attached (now resolved with the great info from this site - I thought the gear box was knackered!) and the Hardon Karmon all singing all dancing sound system which lapsed into complete silence 2 days after purchase - not resolved (been told its probably the amp, 400 quid plus vat, which I'm scared to part with in case it's not the amp and something else!)
Anyway apologies for the waffle, as I said, I've read the post and can see the benefits of adding the the 2T oil, (especially the quieter running, seeing as the only music i can play in car at the moment is on my iPhone! Evil or Very Mad being a 54 plate, I'm guessing I can get away with either the FC or the FB grade, as I won't have to worry about a DPR. I'm also happy with dosage ratios, starting off with a larger dose then 200:1 after, but the bit that's got me foxed is the talk of a EGR bypass?
Is this something I need to consider before adding the oil at a regular basis, with my vehicle being a little long in the tooth, I'm guessing there could be a lot of carbon build up which after reading the posts could damage the cat, or the turbo once released?
In short, can I just start adding oil at my next fill up, or could I be causing more problems than I'm solving?
Thanks in advance

Post #11411087th Aug 2013 4:32 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

EGR blanking is a very worthwhile step with or without 2so, the best bit is, even if the EGR's are gunked up the gunk wont find it's way into the engine, the blanking will prevent that so there should be no problem with adding the 2so straight away.

if you do the blanking properly, ie. remove the butterfly valve disc, you'll probably find plenty of sooty oily residue in the intake chamber/manifold and around the MAP sensor so it's good opportunity to clean it all thoroughly, don't poke anything in the MAP sensor hole though, (there's another thread about that one!)
 Clive

Post #11411277th Aug 2013 5:08 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I think the 2T and EGR blanking are separate. You can do either or both. EGR's fail and are costly to replace, but search for EGR blanking and you will see how easy it is to solve. You can do this on your early D3.

Adding 2T is something that got momentum when Tesco were selling it at less than the cost of diesel. It does seem to reduce noise, perhaps adds to mpg and may reduce wear. But less chatter on here these days and the favoured 2T which was Actevo, I have not seen on shelves for some time. Whether you do it before or after EGR blanking I don't think matters.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #11411297th Aug 2013 5:14 pm
Snapper66

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Thanks for the info, I noticed one of the links to eBay for comma "FB" at £16.99 for 5ltrs is still active.
Might give that a try.
Thanks again ub Thumbs Up

Post #11416799th Aug 2013 12:44 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I still use Actevo and I have enough stock to see me well into the next D4 that I buy!
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #11416879th Aug 2013 3:32 am
Taxidriver80

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Mineral jaso fc

I am new to this, but can anyone tell me if there is a mineral 2 stroke oil that is jaso fc compliant other than castrol act evo?

Post #114569719th Aug 2013 7:12 pm
JJ834

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Does this only work for the D3 oar D4 as well?

Post #115569010th Sep 2013 8:36 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

The thread has plenty D4 owners; just look at the profiles under the name.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #115569510th Sep 2013 8:45 pm
H16UUP

United Kingdom 

And hopefully no glow plug removal nightmares, when the time comes...

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878-810.html

Post #115736014th Sep 2013 9:00 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 26 of 30 <123 ... 252627 282930>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >