Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Follow on for poor seats in S models
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

The S seats weren't perfect by any stretch BUT...if you have replacement seat covers and foam inserts under warranty like I did for the driver & passenger seats last week ....they are 110% more comfortable Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #11100919th Dec 2006 10:32 am
NICKNICK

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

al cope wrote:
NickNick

Did you find out everything on your test drive?

For the most part, its a great car, its just the seating on my S thats giving me a long term issue. Its OK for some of you with higher spec models where there appears to be more adjustment in the seat mechanism (apart from being electric), so stop being smug gits, as nature has its way of getting its own back Very Happy

Al

I had to call at least 4 dealers to arrange an all day test drive. Picked the car up at 10 am gave back at 4pm. Did c200 miles.
No way was I spending c£40k of my money on a car without a lengthy test drive.

In 2003 really wanted a Teurag, however 20 min max was all test they would allow so obviously I was not going to buy.

Not sure what it is like in rest of the world but in UK I think you are nuts if you buy after 20 min test drive with dealer sitting next to you.

Neighbour recently bought a Merc e class estate, however in the weeks leading up to buying he had at least 3 other cars on his drive over the weekend (BMW, AUDI MERC) so it can be done.

Post #11101819th Dec 2006 10:44 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I had an overnight with the D3 and then a full weekend before deciding to buy. Also had an Audi A6 for long afternoon, a BMW 530 for an overnight/day e-class for just a couple of hours, Landcruiser for an afternoon.
As NICKNICK stated, nobody in their right mind should spend 40k without a drive long enough for you to feel comfortable with it. You have to be slightly persistent in order to get a longer test, but if they believe you're serious, they won't moan for long.
Mind you, regardless of how much you pay for a new car, you should always get a reasonable time for testing it. Used cars I guess may be a little different if not from a main dealer.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #11102119th Dec 2006 10:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I think this 'uncomfortable' issue needs to be seen in context...They aren't so uncomfortable that you would consider changing ....or not buying.... and TBH it took several weeks for me to clarify in my scrambled mind that they were not as comfortable as the D2 seats. But hey ...it's not the end of the world. Have the warranty work done ,if it applies, and you'll have no further uncomfortable comments to make Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #11102819th Dec 2006 11:09 am
al cope

England 

I had a full day with a D3 before buying, but it still didnt show the seat positioning issue (and it was an S model). It always feels different when you move out of one car into another, even for a full day.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #11102919th Dec 2006 11:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

NickNick

Yes of COURSE the seats were considered in the extensive test drive - and very comfortable they were too!

Unfortunately the demonstrator was an SE with electric seats that dont dip at the front when you raise the seat, in the way that they do in an "S".

Yes I do feel incredibly stoopid for ASSuming that the (similar looking) seats in the "pleb" version would adjust in the same way - albeit that I would have to operate a lever to achieve this.

Any more constructive comments????

Dave.
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #11136320th Dec 2006 1:04 am
twizzle

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

dickgriff wrote:
The S seats weren't perfect by any stretch BUT...if you have replacement seat covers and foam inserts under warranty like I did for the driver & passenger seats last week ....they are 110% more comfortable Wink

Do you know if the is a TSB on this?? or was it something the dealer did??

The foam in my seats is just about squashed at the rear where it meets the back of the seat, and i can feel the hard seat frame through my buttocks!

This is as well as the annoying sloping front...
 i'm lovin it....  
Post #11162020th Dec 2006 5:06 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Quote:
TSB LA501-031

Models: Discovery 3 / LR3 Vehicles with cloth seats. VIN-range: 5A300167 Onwards

Markets: All except USA and Japan

Summary: A customer may report a concern that the cloth cover of one or both of the front seats has become baggy and creased across the center portion towards the back of the seat cushion.

Cause: The seat cushion cover is secured to the cushion foam by two rows of securing rings on the first and second panels, but in order to accommodate the seat heater mat, none are installed at the rear of the cushion, which can lead to the above complaint. A revised cushion design incorporating a different seat heater mat (where installed) allows the cover to be secured to the cushion in the critical area.

Action: Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Service Procedure detailed in this bulletin to renew both front seat cushion covers.
Post #11162120th Dec 2006 5:12 pm
twizzle

I've even got the dual crease mentioned here!

Thanks DickGriff
 i'm lovin it....  
Post #11162620th Dec 2006 5:17 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Pleasure Very Happy
Post #11163020th Dec 2006 5:23 pm
twizzle

Been to dealer new seat pad on order. I'll post as soon as it's fitted to let all poverty model owners over 6' if it makes a differance...
 i'm lovin it....  
Post #11255722nd Dec 2006 2:19 pm
fakesnake

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Yup -I concur.

Having had both seat bases sorted & side squabs on the backs done, all under warrenty, my seats in my 'S' are now excellent. Mind you, it took 3 visits to the garage to sort it finally.
 Richard  
Post #11260322nd Dec 2006 5:33 pm
dunton10

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
S Seats

I'm so glad I've found this website. I thought it was just me and was becoming paranoid.

After 5 years with a td5 xs model I recently bought a new TDV6 S. After 3 months I still cant get comfortable and I'm fed up with adjusting the backrest angle/seat height/ etc. whatever I do I'm uncomfotable - there seems to be no support behind the knee and if I tilt the seat base back I get numb bum syndrome. It seems best to have the base fairly flat but then I seem to be sliding forward all the time.

My d3 is Sept 06, does the upgrade apply to me? Those that have had it done, will it improve matters? Do you get thicker foam on the seats.

I'm anxiously waiting for the results of the modifications mentioned on other threads where the seat runners are modified to provide more height/angle. hoping this may help as well.

The old td5 was so comfortable and I'm finding that I'm not using the D3 as much as normal as I know its going to be literally a pain in the ass.

Any advice out there would be appreciated. do dealers know what you are talking about when you call/phone or is it best to take a copy of the TSB. Where do I find a list of these by the way?

Post #11417830th Dec 2006 6:03 pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I've had my D3 XS one week, and I noticed already that the cloth seat has a crease in it...!

I've done around 500 miles, so wasn't expecting such a baggy looking seat already...!!!

Thanks for the pointer to the TSB.

cheers

simon

Post #11419030th Dec 2006 6:59 pm
noizeman

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Gareth wrote:
I have HSE so no problem, seats are excellent.

I sat tfc's new HSE the other week, and the 07 seats feel even better.

I've just taken delivery of a new (2007) HSE and the driver and front passenger seats are fine for me at 6' 2", if a little upright compared to the excellent volvo seats I'd become used to.

My issue is with the second row seats which are absolutely AWFUL for any journey of more than, say, 50 miles. Even the children complain and have to have cushions and pillows to get comfy. I admit this was something I hadn't really considered when test driving the car but is one area where the XC90 wins hands down.

Post #11432731st Dec 2006 11:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >