Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Sport/Command-shift modes will not engage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
drcoopster

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3

boogerifique wrote:
oh and i also read in another forum ( hoping this could be the solution ), that a weak charging battery's first line of action to save up on power is to downplay the electric load required by the transmission control module.

I'll be interested to hear your results on this; my battery is on the older side, though it hasn't given me any trouble that I'm aware of.
 2006 LR3 SE  
Post #9289077th May 2012 3:11 am
mepham55

Canada 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Did a quick google on the internet and found this thread on a similar sounding problem and he has an answer with a possible solution?

Also I have heard of a weak battery throwing all sorts of weird codes. when I bought my truck the battery was leaking and the Indy I took it to said it was throwing all sorts of codes, $125 later no odd codes.

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15893

Matt

Post #9289087th May 2012 4:33 am
drcoopster

mepham55 wrote:
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15893

Interesting. Too bad he doesn't go into details about how everything was fixed.
 2006 LR3 SE  
Post #9289097th May 2012 4:43 am
DVD

United States 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Mine is WORKING! Thumbs Up
While researching the problem, I came across "disco_mikey's" procedure for the "Autobox Gear Lever pivot rebuild/maintenance": http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic31656.html. I was skeptical because that involves a mechanical part and the Sport mode / command shift is electronic, but as mentioned, it seemed in the ballpark, good maintenance, and cheap.
Put in the new pivot today, put some waterproof grease on the shaft, and now sport mode / command works!
I previously tried the suggestion linked above, to turn on lights and sport mode would work, but that didn't work for me.
Good luck to others,
-Dirk

Post #93100613th May 2012 4:58 am
drcoopster

DVD wrote:
Mine is WORKING! ... "disco_mikey's" procedure for the "Autobox Gear Lever pivot rebuild/maintenance": http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic31656.html.

Excellent, Dirk! I guess I might as well try adjusting the linkage, what've I got to lose?
 2006 LR3 SE  
Post #93130314th May 2012 12:09 am
DVD

Re that linkage: I ordered the parts without even looking at mine. When I got under the vehicle and removed the little cover, I was surprised that my linkage assembly all looked much better than the dirty, rusted one in the diy link. I'm pretty sure, I could have saved a little money and re-installed the old, but because I had the new pieces in hand, I put them on.
Maybe it was just jiggling the pieces around that freed something related to command shift. The slightly more plausible theory is a small buildup of gunk that was on the cable, or rod (which wasn't replaced). I cleaned the cable and put a dab of waterproof grease on it when re-installing.
Again, good luck,
-Dirk

Post #93201915th May 2012 11:47 pm
boogerifique

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

[quote="DVD"]Mine is WORKING! Thumbs Up
While researching the problem, I came across "disco_mikey's" procedure for the "Autobox Gear Lever pivot rebuild/maintenance": http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic31656.html. I was skeptical because that involves a mechanical part and the Sport mode / command shift is electronic, but as mentioned, it seemed in the ballpark, good maintenance, and cheap.

Hi Dirk,

Good for you! i've tried everything already as mentioned in my previous post. Changed TCM, Rotary Board and Gear Selector, Recharged my Battery and did another "adaptation" to no avail. I hope you don't mind, could you please post a step by step process list on how you were able to get yours to work? My dealer and I will try to mimic what you've done exactly. I hope it works! thanks so much in advance!

Bugsy

Post #93282818th May 2012 4:11 am
DVD

Hi, for some reason the link I provided above doesn't take you directly to the right thread.
But there is an existing thread on this forum with the step by step procedures, with pictures and part numbers and all you would need. I was going to copy paste, but it would be better to suggest that you paste the URL into the address field of your browser to view the the existing thread. I've noted that the author updates part numbers if they change, for example.
So here is the URL for the procedure:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic31656.html
Alternatively, a google search on the thread title will take you right there:
"Autobox Gear Lever pivot - How To"

Hope it works for you,
-Dirk

Post #93282918th May 2012 5:19 am
boogerifique

wow guys, literally did everything my dealer and i could think of! did disco_mikey's step by step process on clearing the auto gear box pivot lever underneath. cleaned the pin connectors of the harness connecting the TCM (brand new) to the Gear Selector Knob and Rotary Board (also brand new) and still no 'S' or 'M' mode. running out of possible solutions. i mean, what else could it be? covered the mechanical and electrical aspects of the problem. any more suggestions guys???

Post #93372521st May 2012 3:54 am
boogerifique

did the whole "change battery" thing as well to no avail. seriously running out of possible solutions. WTH right?!, how's yours coming along? did disco_mikey's tip work for you?

I'll be interested to hear your results on this; my battery is on the older side, though it hasn't given me any trouble that I'm aware of.[/quote]

Post #93372621st May 2012 3:57 am
boogerifique

FINALLY WORKING LIKE A CHARM! harness connecting TCM to Gear Shift Selector Knob needed cleaning. basically, dealer "re-tipped" and cleaned the wire edges connecting to the terminals on each side. it was a long and arduous task. took nearly a week to clean all those little pin terminals and wires but it's now working great. apparently, dirt was the culprit here. connectivity between the two modules is only 5 watts. the dirt lessened it even more.

Post #93629329th May 2012 2:50 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Doing some investigative work on an intermittent fault on mine at the moment and dirty/corroded connectors is high on my list, suspect similar reduced current may be at the root of it. Thanks for reporting back Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #93631729th May 2012 7:38 am
matsukoy

2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 3

boogerifique wrote:
FINALLY WORKING LIKE A CHARM! harness connecting TCM to Gear Shift Selector Knob needed cleaning. basically, dealer "re-tipped" and cleaned the wire edges connecting to the terminals on each side. it was a long and arduous task. took nearly a week to clean all those little pin terminals and wires but it's now working great. apparently, dirt was the culprit here. connectivity between the two modules is only 5 watts. the dirt lessened it even more.

Hi fellow pinoy, having the same problem as yours. Glad i stumbled here. Do you know what parts to remove to reach the Gear Shift Selector harness? Do I need to drop the tranny oil pan to clean the connectors connecting to the TCM or Cleaning the harness below the gear selector will do? TIA

Post #15409347th Oct 2015 11:55 am
soarvet

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Can I ressurrect this thread again? I'm having the same issue. Have changed out the gear shift assy, TCCM. I can not get the command shift to work.

Post #21785697th Oct 2020 3:47 pm
Mike_A4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

These D3s are aging, and differently.

I've had this problem for a month (no Sport mode selectable). Local guy lubed the selector cables to no effect. Then a few days later it worked! Then a few days later it didn't.

Different garage - they're more expensive but less prone to dither - had it in and found the issue on day 1, cure in place by day 4 (allowing for delivery of part). To quote:

"Carried out wiring and component test, found no signal change when selecting Sport / Command Shift. Removed selector and stripped. Suspect the magnetic pickup switches on the motherboard had failed. Unable to test board itself. Did tests on wiring and found all signal voltages to the selector are OK. Advised to change the selector for a second-hand unit."

The part number quoted is UCB500072, for which they charged me £80 (he admited they paid £70 on eBay) and had it done and dusted in 3.5 hours.

In any case, having just collected it today it's all working again.

Post #231549118th Nov 2022 5:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >