DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Starting issues - an interesting one
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Madrunner

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Starting issues - an interesting one

Hi all,

Heres a good one for you boffins to guide me on....

Car in question 2006 TDV6 SE, 49000 miles, full service history to date, no warning lights at all.

Last Sunday mornign after the cold day Saturday and snow, went to start the car, took 4-5 cranks before it fired. Whilst cranking the nav screen was dimming and brightening in time with the cranking. Once fired, all tickety boo.

Battery was original OEM unit, checked the charge on the terminals 14.5V at idle.

Me thinks, agh first real cold snap must be battery. So replaces battery with a top spec bosch with capacity near as damn it equal to the OEM unit.

Installed it Sunday and run like a dream since them.

Left the car yesterdya about 100yds up the road for half a day, started it and ran onto the drive, left overnight.

Bitterly cold night last night, went ot fire up the car this afternoon exactly the same as last Sunday - 4-5 cranks to fire and nav screen dimming and brightening in time with cranking.

Checked the output on the terminals again today, 14.5V at idle, battery sitting at 12.5/6 V with everything off.

WTF ? Spoke to local independent and asked about glowplugs, he said doubt it.

I am sure one of you clever sparks has seen this and can give me some pointers.

Thanks in advance all, great to knwo this site is here for such occasions !!!!!!

Post #8947198th Feb 2012 6:02 pm
Tawny Owl

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Glowplugs I reckon Thumbs Up

Go to the multiplugs on each bank and supply a feed to each pin from the battery with your multimeter in series and on amps or an amp clamp around the wire and see what each glowplug is working properly.

Should be around 15amps I think Thumbs Up

Post #8947288th Feb 2012 6:36 pm
Madrunner

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Cheers Tawny

I've been trawling the site looking at other cold start issues.

It's odd that we've had quite a number of well below zero nights and the car has started tickety boo.

Just 2 cold nights that it hasn't.

I'd have expected it to be the same every start over winter.

Odd.

Post #8947498th Feb 2012 7:40 pm
kiwirich

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

You've done the obvious one, the battery.

I'd be looking at the Starter motor for Brushes & undercut the Commutator...........

It sounds like it's loading the Battery in a regular cyclic way. It may be shorted turns in the Starter Motor or some other Binding type thing

Let us know how it turns out

Goodluck

Kiwirich

Post #8949639th Feb 2012 7:24 am
CUCO

Spain 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

where are the multiplugs? or the loom? i have too starting problems on mine and i want to test the GP with the multimeter.

dealer says too that doubt GP causes the starting problem..

Post #8950639th Feb 2012 1:15 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Check for good clean uncoroded contact on the major battery leads. Especially at the far end of the leads.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #8950749th Feb 2012 1:37 pm
Tawny Owl

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

CUCO wrote:
where are the multiplugs? or the loom? i have too starting problems on mine and i want to test the GP with the multimeter.

dealer says too that doubt GP causes the starting problem..

Remove the engine cover and on each bank on one side you will see a brown multiplug and the other side will have a black multiplug Thumbs Up

Post #8950799th Feb 2012 1:49 pm
rory822

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I had my local independent try on a number of different occassions to fix my same cold start problem, which the car developed last winter.
Battery was changed (had been same since new, over 5 years), but no difference.
Glowplugs checked, apparently a couple were faulty, and were replaced (no mention of any issues getting them out!)

At the last attempt, I was charged £380 for replacing the "temperature control ECU" - which I can't find any info about anywhere (can anyone confirm their cost?) - but that did seem to make a difference. All last week, even at -10 one day, it started first time.

Trouble is, at -3 degrees this morning, it started struggling again... eventually getting going with the usual plumes of white smoke out the back...

Also, FWIW, before the ECU replacement I used to get the "special programs off" message at every ignition attempt (which folk have attributed to battery isses). Now I just get an "HDC fault" instead.

Anyway, I'll update once it's been looked at again.

Regards,
Steve
 TDV6 S AUTO | CAIRNS BLUE | SIDE STEPS
3 KIDS | SEAT COVERS ESSENTIAL 

Post #8950819th Feb 2012 1:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hi there sound to me like you have got a glow plug problem

Post #8952059th Feb 2012 8:03 pm
Westie

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Same Problem

Hi there

Had the same problem all this week with mine. Car has been in the garage this week and had a "Mass air flow senor meter fitted...[not much change from £175][/b] and that cured it for one day. Back in the garage today as having the exact same cold start problems. Incidentally, after calling around a few garages just as an idea what it could be wrong....most had similar age Discos in with the same problem.

Back to the "easy start" tomorrow. Starts instantly with that and has no problems till dawn!

Cheers

Post #89571610th Feb 2012 9:37 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Do not use easy start, they get hooked on it and will never start again without the use of it
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #89575510th Feb 2012 10:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mike23118

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

coke for cars !! they like it, then can't do without it DONT do it like everything else for a disco rehab will be very expensive.
 Now Renault Trafic
D4 gone
D3 gone 

Post #89578911th Feb 2012 3:05 am
wombat_markt

France 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Same cold start problem.

Hello there,

Has anyone got any ideas? I too have just replaced battery but car still will not start, (has been -16 overnight here at the moment). Have spent mornings building little tent with tarp over bonnet and blowheater underneath. At -2 engine starts going. No faults showing until I wear battery out cranking it.

Will check glow plugs when possible to do without fingers falling off.

Bought this car due to living in country with snow and ice. Now pretty much housebound with family due to inability of Land Rover to deal with cold. Absolute joke of a car. Have had to replace usual things (as highlighted in forums), electronic handbrake, metal L bar latch in tailgate, climate control panel. Now front passenger door won't open, I suspect due to same piece of metal as tailgate shearing. Dealers down here charge a fortune and do as little as possible. This is supposed to be a heavy duty all purpose vehicle and as far as I can see I would be better off with a Renault 4.

Post #89624712th Feb 2012 1:46 pm
Mr flibble

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

My original Disco MY05 hse had this prob. First you think its the battery, so you replace it, then all well for a few days. then the problems come back.

Its your alternator. Happened on both my D3's. What happens is the brushes on the alternator wear down with time. If you get your car started and immediatly check batt voltage, you read 14.5 volts, and think all is well with the alternator, but as soon as you take some current out of it while driving,( heated seats, radio, elec windows, suspension compressor etc...) it starts to break down and not provide a charge. Thus your battery gets no charge while driving

Think of it like a flat battery. If there is no current being taken from it, the terminal voltage my well be up 11-12v, but as soon as you try to pull some current from it, the voltage takes a nose dive.

Susp fault, HDC faults etc all come part and parcel of a duff alternator. they are very sensitive to low voltages and will shut down.

Post #89682313th Feb 2012 8:52 pm
wombat_markt

France 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hello Mr. F... thanks for that, that does sound like a possibility given the circumstances. The car is now back up and starting on the old battery (charged overnight), aaargh, £129 down. I'll put in an order for a new alternator and see if that fixes the issue although I also will check glowplugs as well...

Post #89696314th Feb 2012 9:10 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >