Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Gearbox hesitation on 8 speed?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Russell

United Kingdom 

Instant normally, plant foot and take off Mr. Green When I first got the car it was sluggish and slow but once I got used to driving it and the gearbox learnt my style and I had run the car in a bit Embarassed , no more slow take off or lag.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #92213218th Apr 2012 6:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Peely

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Interesting, I that case I will persevere with it till it has at least 1k on the clock.

I took it out last night for a good thrashing, even tried 'sand mode' in 'sport' and using manual shifts, it is surprising how it can move when it wants, it's just the starts that are infuriating and being beeped at and given the finger on a daily basis through no fault of mine ain't a pleasant experience !! Embarassed !!

Post #92214018th Apr 2012 6:56 pm
Zapp79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Just over 1000 miles on mine and it is no different. (Perhaps my driving is just too erratic for it to learn my style Laughing )

If I am deliberate and very smooth, the car pulls away without any hesitation (gradual and progressive application of the go-go juice).

But, if I apply a good rapid slice of size 11 to the loud pedal, a period of calm is followed about 3 seconds later with an 'aaaarrrgggghhhhh' noise from behind the steering wheel as some black rubbery lines appear on the road behind me Whistle

Definite hesitation there, I would say. Although not as bad as the D3 was.

I will be asking the dealer about it, along with why the mpg is now headed south beyond an average of 22 Shocked

Post #92215118th Apr 2012 7:22 pm
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

Guys I had this too on my 400 mile D4 -

Turned out to be the hand controls dragging the brake slightly. This app confuses the gearbox as when I was hitting the throttle, the car was also trying to brake at the same time. Dealer sorted it immediately by loosening the hand control so the brake didn't drag.

The previous comment regarding the brake dragging slightly would appear to have some validity IMHO.

Problem has almost disappeared now. Happens occasionally but that is down to my using the hand control on the brakes whilst applying the throttle in a slight overlap. When turning right into a side road for example. The fact that I can use the brake with my hand and apply the throttle with my left foot ( The only one that works Sad ) would replicate this fault.
Hope this helps? Surprised
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Post #92221418th Apr 2012 8:56 pm
Peely

Good to see I'm not on my own !

I don't think brakes or dragging brakes has anything to do with mine.

I have almost come to use left foot braking followed with right foot on the loud pedal when exiting junctions as a new found driving style, it certainly surprises passengers when I release the brake and it takes off ! Shocked

I'll give it a bit longer till I contact my dealer for a full refund ! Rolling with laughter

The EGR valve wouldn't have anything to do with slow response would it, ie the system getting rid of gases before it injects more ?

Post #92222718th Apr 2012 9:23 pm
Zapp79

Wouldn't have thought EGR valves would have anything to do with this..... not sure, and I may be very wrong, but I also didn't think they exist in the same problematic guise on the SDV6??

Likewise, can't imagine it is brake drag on mine either (although that could explain the horrendous fuel consumption).

Seems to happen more when the engine is warm too. More testing required......

Post #92223718th Apr 2012 9:40 pm
Peely

Yeah agreed, I'm only getting low 20's mpg.

The best I've had is 25.3 on a 50 mile run inc motorways ! Confused

Post #92225018th Apr 2012 10:05 pm
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I had the hesitation/scalded cat problem very early on with my 8 speed, but it's either got used to me or I've got used to it cos I don't notice it anymore - now done 2400 miles.
Your fuel consumption would worry me. I'm averaging 25.4 but it was 27 until I took the tintent out for a run - 250 miles on mostly motorways doing 19.2 mpg Big Cry
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #92227018th Apr 2012 11:24 pm
t7mbo

What I find with our 8 speed D4 is that when you slow down to take a left turning for example, after you have taken the turn, you put your foot down on the throttle and nothing happens for a good second, and then it takes off like a scalded cat!
When we had the initial problems with the car on delivery, the dealer lent us a brand new RRS 8 speed and this problem was not apparent on the RRS.
I bought this up with the dealer, and he told me that the RRS had a diffeent ECU map. When I asked if this ECU map could be put on the Disco, he told me that Landrover would not allow it.
I am now considering having the car remapped to try and get rid of the hesitation, because it is so annoying!

Post #92239219th Apr 2012 11:28 am
Peely

t7mbo wrote:
I bought this up with the dealer, and he told me that the RRS had a diffeent ECU map. When I asked if this ECU map could be put on the Disco, he told me that Landrover would not allow it.
I am now considering having the car remapped to try and get rid of the hesitation, because it is so annoying!

If a remap can cure this problem, someone please let us know, as soon as mine is run in properly I'll be booking it in !! Evil or Very Mad

Post #92261819th Apr 2012 8:18 pm
Zapp79

Had it again a couple of times on the way home tonight. And I got the the now familiar signal of appreciation from a fellow, if not somewhat lacking in compassion and understanding, motorist. (Ner Ner to you too my friend)

The ECU map makes sense to me. It is almost as if the car is working its way through a list of tasks, then completes the list with the last item....

.. 47a - send some more fuel.
47b - unleash hell.

I have now found that I can almost eliminate it when using the flappy paddles, but I think this is more to do with me picking the 'right' gear so that the throttle isn't sat at idle - for want of understanding or a better phrase, I am thinking of it in terms of 'taking up the slack'.

So, not sure whether it is engine (and ecu) to blame, or gearbox.

Post #92263719th Apr 2012 8:48 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Similar issue on early D3s with the six speed box. Software update imprved the situation.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #92269219th Apr 2012 11:02 pm
Peely

I've started to refer to it as 'The elastic throttle' .... nothing....... nothing, ......wait for it ..... ..............weyhey !!! Evil or Very Mad

Post #92274220th Apr 2012 9:25 am
Q86ARR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Manual Bali BlueDiscovery 4

New gearbox software is now available

LTB00451 - 8HP70 8-Speed Automatic Transmission Holding Gear at Wide Open Throttle and 3-2 Downshift Throttle Application from Low Speed

Post #9281714th May 2012 3:14 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Peely wrote:
I've started to refer to it as 'The elastic throttle' .... nothing....... nothing, ......wait for it ..... ..............weyhey !!! Evil or Very Mad

The good old brick on an elastic band characteristic. Thumbs Up

Post #9281744th May 2012 3:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >