Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Upper Tailgate Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
zack196

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3
Upper Tailgate Problem

Switch works Solinoid clicks - linkage failure.Does anyone know of "fix"that does not involve expensive[damage]action to access? I assume it is something simple inside that fails.

Post #8790795th Jan 2012 12:00 pm
Dave T

England 

There are a few links in this thread, sounds destructive but isn't .... except to your wrists Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic35544.html
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #8791395th Jan 2012 1:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Sitting in the back of thr D3 in Darwin trying to grt thr Censored Tail gate open Evil or Very Mad
So I have the carpet off and thanks to last fix by LR I don't have to peel back any waterproof covering.
Knuckles are skinned and wrists bruised. LR Darwin want $370 to assess the problem and then have to see if covered under Alliance E/W. Then have to bring it back within a month or need to be assessed again Shocked
Have need following the links on the forum but can't get it open. Up to Bunnings tomorrow to get some needle plyers and try again. Issue is, if I get the tailgate open and need parts I may not be able to close and I am on a plane back to Singapore on Monday
After getting up the dealer in Darwin might have to eat a big slice of humble pie and take it back to them anyway Big Cry
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #92593228th Apr 2012 1:14 pm
kiwirich

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

Hi Wayne,

The "normal" part that fails is betwween the Electric Solenoid and the Steel cable that operates the latches on both sides. The solenoid pulls the cable to release the latches. When the solenoid releases the cable it is Spring return to re-engage the latches.

At least you should still be able to close the Tailgate.

Good luck
Richard

Post #92614429th Apr 2012 2:17 am
away

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

You should be able to do this yourself, albeit with great difficulty. My car has rear drawers fitted, leaving a minuscule gap between the drawer and the tailgate to get one's hand in (after the monumental struggle to get the carpet panel off.) My mechanic was able to get his skinny wrist to bend and contort to get to the release and open the tailgate.

The Allianz warranty covered the cost of the part and some of the labour. They argued that the drawers made the job difficult and longer than would otherwise be the case. I was too tired to argue with them.

This cable is a truly stupid piece of design and one hopes that they have changed it on the D4.

Cheers

Russ
 D4: Expedition Rack, 104 Litre Long Range Tank, Raised Air Intake
D3: Every bloomin' thing but the kitchen sink 

Post #92614529th Apr 2012 2:33 am
WayneD

Well sitting back in Singapore and left the daughter with a D3 with opening tailgate Very Happy Thanks to all those who posted tips. Took me a couple of hours, but that was basically because I had to go to the hardware to buy tools. Son in Law can shoot a cannon but does not have any tools or a shed Shocked
I guess you need a pretty big spanner to fix a cannon. But at least I know if it breaks again my daugter can fix it!!!

LR Darwin quoted me $165 per hour and would take 2 hours to diagnose the problem, then had to bring it back to get it fixed. If I did not bring it back within a month they would have to diagnose the problem again, and charge me again!!. Seems to me if the cable is broken today and not fixed it will still be broken in 6 months.
Ahh whatever happened to customer service. At least I did not get that large serving of humble pie.
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #92666830th Apr 2012 4:16 pm
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Good work Wayne! Thumbs Up

And we were all here, thinking you were all thumbs! Rolling with laughter

Cheers,
Rob

Post #9269241st May 2012 10:59 am
WayneD

Thanks heaven for daugthters with their lady like hands Very Happy
I'm sure Lisa could fix it all by hereself next time.
Post #9284395th May 2012 11:16 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >