Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Engine stopped
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Roberts

Engine stopped

I have a 2 day old Disco 3, had travelled 400 km, half full tank of diesel and it stopped dead 1 km from home. It hesitated, lost power, picked up again and then stopped dead in the middle of a busy road. I phoned Roadside Assist and they could find no cause, so the vehicle was trailered to the Dealer late Saturday afternoon.

What I noticed as it lost power the first time was "Engine fault' then System check in progress' which it never completed (it was hung up I guess)
Monday AM at the Dealer it started first time - and no errors were recorded in the system computer ?????

After a day of searching the Dealer found a suspect earth connect on to the back of the Cam cover. The theory is (without detailed tech knowledge of the vehicle systems) is that the main computer lost power thus affecting the CanBus, and the lost power explains why there was no error message recorded ???

Days later the car is running fine (it is a magnificent vehicle) BUT I do want to use this car in the outback as well as a daily commute, and I want to understand what happened so I am not so helpless next time (if there is a 'next time')

Anyone got any real information on this ?
Rob S
 Disco 3 SE TDV6 auto  
Post #764319th Jul 2005 12:55 pm
BN

England 

Can't help a lot, but one thing is that with any electronically loaded vehicle, problems can ocurr at any time without warning. It is not like the old Landy's that a hammer and piece of string will repair. It cannot be driven like any other diesel unless the management system is working either. Whilst it is a very capable vehicle, it has some concerns for serious out in the wilds work.

Post #764619th Jul 2005 1:12 pm
Keith Walshe

The only real solution is to get the dealer to check and tighten all conenctions to the bodywork.

Post #799522nd Jul 2005 2:22 am
Echidna

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Had a similar problem six weeks ago whilst touring in Northern Ireland. Loss of power, came to a halt, a whole host of error messages and warning lights came up ending in 'Engine System Fault'. Tried to re-start engine a few times but failed. Waited 10 minutes then re-started OK. Called LR Assist and agreed to limp back to nearest LR Dealer. Nearest LR Dealer (Charles Hurst) found a whole host of diagnostics including problems with the injectors but only one one side of the engine. Suspected an electrical fault.

Only the week before the vehicle had been back at the LR Dealer where I purchased the vehicle (Rossleigh) to have all the electrical connections tightened up!

Had been experiencing a number of other issues (including non-working cruise control) so I returned vehicle to LR Dealer where I purchased the vehicle only eleven weeks before (Rossleigh) and rejected it. Four weeks later LR Dealer claims that the 'fault' was caused by the Dealer fit Bluetooth / PTI kit (that they fitted) and have removed it from the vehicle.

Still waiting for a replacement vehicle / refund and have been waiting five weeks now without even a courtesy car from the LR Dealer (Rossleigh). Finally offered me a courtesy car last week but I had already gone out and bought a brand new VW Golf to get around in.
 2005 TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue / Alpaca
2005 TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue / Alpaca (Rejected)
2005 VW Golf SE 

Post #830425th Jul 2005 10:42 am
nobbyclark

Echidna wrote:
returned vehicle to LR Dealer where I purchased the vehicle only eleven weeks before (Rossleigh) and rejected it

Which Rossleigh was this? Perth? I am contemplating giving them 35k of my hard earned...

Post #831525th Jul 2005 12:56 pm
Echidna

It was Rossleigh Edinburgh. In the eleven weeks that I had the vehicle it was back at Rossleigh for a total of three weeks.

A few weeks before the "Engine System Fault" happened I turned up in person at Reg Vardy's HQ (Rossleigh's parent) in Sunderland to register a formal customer complaint. At reception they told me that they could only do complaints over the telephone! After a quick rant I finally got to meet someone. However, a few days later I received a standard letter from Reg Vardy stating that my complaint had been referred back to Rossleigh Edinburgh.

Rossleigh claim that LR has not accepted my reasons for rejection. However, they are unable to produce any documentation to substantiate this claim.

As my brief says "Buyer beware".
2005 VW Golf SE 

Post #832725th Jul 2005 2:38 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

My D3 has experienced some weird fault with a loss of engine power at 100kph but it seems intermittent. On Friday and Saturday just gone I couldn't keep a constant speed up long hills and at one point I just made it over a hill with a bank up of cars behind me. Even on the flat I could not pass a car at 100kph then after some time it cleared up and is back to "normal" I hate to think the adaptive shift was doing all the weird stuff.

It's going to the dealer tomorrow of a check up. I don't know if they can find the fault because no errors were reported on the info screen. The mechanics will think I'm mad!!

chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #855826th Jul 2005 8:09 am
Echidna

Was collecting the replacement vehicle from the LR Dealer today. They mentioned that they had found a loose wire on a connector to the ECU on the rejected vehicle which might finally explain the 'Engine System Fault'. Only took them 5 weeks to find it rather then blame the Dealer fit Bluetooth / PTI kit.
2005 VW Golf SE 

Post #899730th Jul 2005 5:57 pm
Roberts

I am the guy who started this topic. The car has now done 4,000 km and you will be interested to know the cause of the dead engine. NO FUEL.
The tank has two level sensors one in the back and one in the front. The back one was broken and sitting somewhere at the 50 - 60% level I think, the front one appears to be stuck full on. The car was delivered with about 85% fuel level - so I drove it and marvelled how in two days and about 200 km the needle hardly moved. The car stopped, LR Assist called in NRMA (the local Auto service) who could find no problem, we put in 20 litres just to be sure and it still would not start. The vehicle was trucked to the Dealer when it started first time ???
They fiddled with it, found a 'possible problem plug' and off I drove only to stop about 180 km later. Still the fuel level showed 60%
Dealer action again involved replacing the high pressure pump etc and off I drove. On impulse I went to the first garage and it took nearly 80 liters of fuel.

That explains it all. A faulty fuel level sensor. The interesting problem is the Dealer has no idea how to replace the front 'in tank' sensor and I am still waiting for them to come back to me to get it done.

The car is running without fault and averaging 11- 11.5/ 100 km city and country, including short trips towing a 1,200kg yacht (what a great tow vehicle)

For thos of you who do not know (and I am only putting 2 + 2 together plus some Tech Manual info) the diesel has only 83 litres of fuel (in an 86 litre tank) because the computer cuts the engine when there is 3 litres of fuel left to avoid 'running dry' I am also told that at 10 litres it drops to 5 cylinders to warn the driver to fill up and at that stage the warning light comes on. I have seen none of that because of the faulty sensors - hence I drove until it ran dry...

Its the simple things that can get you. I would be more worried except that in my company we sell advanced medical equipment which is all software driven, lots of error codes etc and the facts are that they are very reliable and if you know the diagnostics, very easy to maintain. Let's hope the LR software and hardware is well developed.
 Disco 3 SE TDV6 auto  
Post #1212115th Aug 2005 3:22 pm
BN

England 

We would hope so, but it does make you cough a little LR software.

Post #1213115th Aug 2005 4:35 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Think there was something on Disco 3 waaaaay back about the front sensor fault neccesitated a new fuel tank Shocked although I may be wrong...

cheers,

10forcash

Post #1213315th Aug 2005 4:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >