Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Using FBH while standing still
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
netpet

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Using FBH while standing still

Hello to all and congratulations to the site.

I am not first reader user but first time poster in this forum, so please be patient.

And I am from Austria (Tirol especially). As I recognized a seldom users-nation.

I want to install the mod of the FBH controlled by GSM in my 2008 D3 for two reasons.

First: have a warm engine when starting (which is no problem at all, as I mentioned reading most of the topics about FBH)

Second: Keep a warm interior while standing still, staying inside the car, but not starting the engine for heating. And this seems tricky. A few days ago was the first time, when I had to wait in the car, while my better half went to the post office.

The Engine was hot after driving an hour (half of full-scale) and so I turned on the Fans (ingnition on, engine off). After only a few seconds the the air got cold, however the engine was still warm. I needed to start the engine, to get warm air out of the fans.

To my question:

As I want to use the FBH for exact that reason (keep it warm, while I am inside the car without starting the engine) is this a normal behaviour, that you cannot use the warm engine for heating without starting it ?

Is there any workaround to change this.

Thanks for your help.

BR

Pete

Post #87598728th Dec 2011 12:24 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Get the "intelligent fuel burning heater controller" from Pete at BAS that will allow the FBH to run without the engine running.

Post #87599228th Dec 2011 12:41 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

netpet

I have that setup on my car I installed the Danhag system then wired in a switch in the car that will run the FBH when I am parked up without the engine running and it runs the heater blower as well, works great, but bear in mind your battery I have a dual battery setup so have plenty of juice for the run..

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #87599328th Dec 2011 12:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
marco 110

France 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi
sorry to introduce myself into the discussion, but if I read well, it is now possible to blow the heating with the Webasto ?
I have the oval timer, how to make the fan of the cockpit switches on ?

thanks.
 Marco.
-D4 sdv6 HSE 2012 , high beam assist , surround cam, tv , and a lot of nice stuff..

http://www.youtube.com/user/marcsteph110?feature=mhum

Ex :
-90 td 1989
-110sw td5 2000
-D3 tdv6 SE 2006

Post #87602128th Dec 2011 2:21 pm
Flack

marco 110

The webasto timer can be used with the Danhag system but with the danhag you get the GSM and another controller to control the heater blower, this can be used with the timer if required.
You can setup the time the blowers come on after the heater has been running.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #87602428th Dec 2011 2:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
marco 110

France 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Flack

OK
As I understand it, required to have the unit "" Danhag "no alternative? ...
 Marco.
-D4 sdv6 HSE 2012 , high beam assist , surround cam, tv , and a lot of nice stuff..

http://www.youtube.com/user/marcsteph110?feature=mhum

Ex :
-90 td 1989
-110sw td5 2000
-D3 tdv6 SE 2006

Post #87602928th Dec 2011 3:08 pm
Flack

At this moment in time yes bud only the Danhag system will run the FBH & Fans.

Flack Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #87603328th Dec 2011 3:27 pm
netpet

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Flack,

so there are two alternatives

FBHIC (Fuel Burner Heater Intelligent Controller) from Pete (BAS)
Danhag from Daniel

As I now understood I need four things to run:

First: FBH or Engine to warm up the engine itself
Second: The water Pump the move the heat from the engine to the absorber (heat exchanger)
Third: The heater blower to get the heat from the absorber in the Interior-System
Fourth: The Interior-Fans

If I normally turn off the engine (but ignition on) ONLY the Interior Fans are still working. They start cooling down the absorber and after this heat is gone the air is getting cold, even if the engine ist hot.

Danhag lets me control (or control by itself) the FBH, the waterpump and the Heater Blower. FBHIC only starts the FBH (and water pump, but not heater Blower?). As all of them work with a bus-system they cannot just turned on or off with a switch, so I need those Systems to send the impulse.

So for my purpose (wait in an unstarted downcooling car, but still have a FBHeated - Interior) I need the danhag-system, because the FBHIC cant start the Heater-Blower ?

AM I Right ?

Whats about the group offer for danhag, does it still exist, because the Price on the website is 399+48 for GSM-unit.

I am a technician, but had nothing to do with carsystems yet and before I start rewiring/reassembling my car I just want to understand what happens.

Post #87604028th Dec 2011 3:42 pm
Flack

netpet

If you get the Danhag system and wire it up like I have then you can have the FBH and the fans running with the flick of a switch, it has nothing to do with the bus system on the car you can unlock the car at no effect on the FBH running the only thing that will stop the FBH when you run it from the danhag via a switch is if you turn the ignition on.
And also you can start the FBH from anywhere with a phone call.

The group buy is long finished .

Read this thread below
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/11480/Danhag.pdf

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #87605828th Dec 2011 5:16 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

You could fit my FBHIC and have the FBH and water pump running while the engine is off, then as long as you have good battery or a second battery fitted just sit with the key on the first postion for the fans to come on inside the car. My FBHIC will keep the FBH and pump running and the heat will still keep coming as long as you have the fans blowing with the key on.

This way you have no need for a seperate fan controller as you can use your key to control them since you are sat in the car.

As soon as you start the car to drive away my FBHIC will sense the voltage change and hand FBH control back to the car.

Pete

Post #87607128th Dec 2011 6:32 pm
Flack

Good option Pete was not sure how your system worked, but also with your system that you don't get with the Danhag is the resetting and clearing of faults

Flack Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #87607628th Dec 2011 6:42 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

This is true, having built in the fuel pump prime and fault clear allong with the 3 fail start attempts does give it a little extra over the other unit especially if the fans can be cotrolled by the key. Thumbs Up

Pete

Post #87607728th Dec 2011 6:46 pm
yogi972

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

exacly the way I keep warm Thumbs Up
works well for me, although wary of time fans are on.... Confused

Post #87616928th Dec 2011 11:57 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

with the dahag plus blower controller you dont need the ignition on at all. i can set alarms on my android phone tocall up and turn on the heating system periodically while i sleep in the car Yawn Sheep Sheep Sheep
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #87617429th Dec 2011 12:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >