Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Engine System Failure. Special Programs Off
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
henry-john

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Turbo changed by a new unit? or would a service kit (they developed especially for this problem) be enough?

just had to change the dampers/brakes/battery/al the bushings, etc... been a extremely expensive 2 months Rolling Eyes

Post #88496317th Jan 2012 9:24 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

No idea, depends on what's wrong, plus I'm a non techie. Mine was a new complete turbo, it was just before the repair kit came in. It was my second replacement turbo. Rolling Eyes

Post #88496817th Jan 2012 9:27 pm
henry-john

as I've heard, the problem would be too much EGR-action, so you must be driving like a real grandpa Laughing Twisted Evil

Sorry for that, don't want to make enemies, but you seemed to be someone with a good sense of humor Whistle

Post #88498517th Jan 2012 9:43 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

I've got a great sense of humour as the turbo was covered by my warranty. Re Grandpa bit, the turbo linkage failure is independent of driving style. I usually cruise at 60mph but if SWMBO is driving (or I'm bored) it's at 80mph. Rolling Eyes Re working the turbo, nothing overtaking on the A9 doesn't do. Turbos, like sunroofs, are something LR are not all that good at.

Post #88499417th Jan 2012 9:52 pm
henry-john

DSL wrote:
Turbos, like sunroofs, are something LR are not all that good at.

in this case, PSA, so the french aren't good at this Rolling with laughter

it isn't a LR based problem Mr. Green

or is it? Rolling Eyes Whistle

Post #88502817th Jan 2012 10:19 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Careful, we're getting all American here, blaming the French!! Laughing Laughing Shocked

Post #88511817th Jan 2012 11:26 pm
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Right, this is very weird.

I have my turbo actuator rod in hand, BUT I have refrained from paying the labour bills as yet because it's not happening anymore. I am starting to think this was an electrical problem in my case. A couple of weeks before I started getting this ESF I started getting a bong and special programs off (and sometimes more bongs and HDC faults) when cranking the engine from cold. Cranking was also much slower. On colder nights (3-4C) it would groan and almost give up after the first crank revolution.

Ever since the weather warmed up appreciably (3 or 4 weeks ago), coupled with the fact that I changed the battery (it was on it's original battery, the 825A Delphi), I haven't had the ESF again. I am actually trying to reproduce it in the same circumstances that it had always occurred, without success.

Is it at all possible that a very weak battery can cause an ESF or am I just living in the dream land where LR turbos fix themselves Mr. Green ? Or am I just clutching on to the last remaining bit of hope before I have to bite the bullet? Big Cry
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #9165882nd Apr 2012 6:58 am
lookatmema

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Nighthawk, I'm not sure if the battery and temperatures could be an issue, but I've just had a new turbo fitted, and having seen the old one and the way the actuator rod was going past the stop point but wouldn't return, it seems just possible that the temp./ volts might just with a following wind, be contributory to the problem, by not pulling the actuator rod back.

As I say, just might be, on a good day, with the right following wind Confused

BTW, I haven't seen inside the turbo, but I reckon there must be some kind of physical stop to prevent the vanes overrunning, which I think must have been damaged or worn to allow the actuator to move beyond the design limit. Mine was blowing in excess of 3 bar all the time when the rod was beyond it's limit. Normality only returned with a reset, only to "bong" at the first hint of a feather on the pedal Sad

Mine was well Censored . It had been OK, if nursed - read "not hammered" - for about 15 months. Turns out my ECU remap was masking the worst of the problems, as it was literally undriveable after the L-R software was reloaded.

For everyone's info, L-R turbos are Borg Warner make, and manufactured in Germany, so can we blame L-R Question Turns out, there were no turbos available outside of L-R for a long time, but Britpart can now supply them new. It's just that they're no different to the original, and still Borg Warner Crying or Very sad

Any help Question
 If you wait for it to go wrong - it's bound to oblige  
Post #9178915th Apr 2012 8:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nighthawk

Lookatmema, thanks for that.

The weirdness of my situation was what prompted me to think it was a battery/temp issue. The fact that it only happened ONCE during the drive. When it happened (always around 2 minutes after starting from cold (with the associated bongs and special programs off due to the weak battery), it cleared itself after 2 seconds before I could even stop the car, and it was then perfectly fine for the rest of the drive. The only reason I stopped the car and cycled the ignition is because after the ESF, the Terrain Response system remained off even though the car got out of limp mode by itself. I had in total 5 such identical occurrences of this in the space of 3 months.

Still going strong now and without reoccurrence for over 1.5 months and I do hammer it regularly.

I'm hoping it will stay this way for a few more months as I have a long holiday and a few other large one-off expenses to deal with at the moment. Once those are out of the way I'll take the turbo out and have a look and replace the actuator rod while at it. Hopefully it won't need a new turbo Thumbs Up
 Dennis

Post #9180226th Apr 2012 10:22 am
lookatmema

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Sounds quite different Nighthawk. There can be strange symptoms associated with low battery power on a Disco, and it just might be that your issue was one of those symptoms.

Good luck - and here's hoping it holds up Very Happy

If you wait for it to go wrong - it's bound to oblige  
Post #9181696th Apr 2012 9:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
G65W

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Nighthawk - did your new battery resolve this issue permanently? Its just that I am having the same problems, I've never replaced the battery on MY05 and I've owned it 7 years so it could be the same problem.

Did you opt for a LR battery (just been quoted £267!!) or another cheaper brand.

Thanks

Post #133129529th Aug 2014 2:41 pm
nighthawk

Unfortunately it did not solve the issue permanently. The thing reared it's head again in colder temperatures when I ventured to the Austrian mountains. I managed to get the fault codes read... it was a lone P0046. What finally DID solve the issue permanently was a new MAF sensor.

PS. You could do with a new battery too. I don't think it will last much longer if it's the original one. I had gone for a genuine LR battery back in 2012, but that died just over a year later so stuck in a Varta Start-Stop AGM battery instead and very happy with it, although it did cost almost as much as a genuine LR AGM battery anyway.
 Dennis

Post #133131529th Aug 2014 3:47 pm
G65W

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks for the quick response Nighthawk - I appreciate the feedback and I also get the P0046 error. I've just ordered a new MAF for tomorrow and I'll also fit the new battery. Fingers crossed it sorts it all out!!

Cheers

Post #133132829th Aug 2014 4:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >