Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Deep Wading
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Have you done deep wading(>500mm), and have you experienced any related problems?
I regularly undertake deep wading and have had no problems
4%
 4%  [1]
I have done occasional deep wading and have had no problems.
62%
 62%  [15]
I have undertaken deep wading and have experienced problems.
0%
 0%  [0]
I'm not game to wade through water >500mm deep!
33%
 33%  [8]
Total Votes: 24

zetecr

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Deep Wading

Do people have problems deep wading with the D3?

A local magazine was running their "Best 4WD of 2006" test that involved taking the usual contenders through a supposed "torture test" up Australia's Cape York and back. I expected the Disco to romp away like it did last year, but it ended up coming LAST!. The reason? It stopped for good after what they called "medium depth" wading. From the pictures of the Message Centre display, it seemed to be showing "Transmission Fault" message.

Had it gone the distance, the testers felt it would probably have won, as it was the most comfortable and also most capable off-road. Contenders included Toyota Land Cruiser VX (1st), Toyota Prado, Nissan Patrol, Nissan Pathfinder, Jeep Grand Cherokee. No Defender, though..

Anyway, if you've had trouble, please state the nature of any problems you've had, and share any fixes, tips and/or workarounds to minimise the risks.

Post #10128713th Nov 2006 10:58 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Aparently the test vehicle was thrashed if it was the 4x4 mag test. Failure due ingress of water ito the fuse box inside the battery compartment. The drivers tried to wreck it and was used for recovery of all vehicles ubtil the electrical failure. Vehicle still went into limp home mode and made it.
This has been mentioned on another post.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic6653.ht...er+ingress
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #10130013th Nov 2006 11:37 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have done some occasional deep water, and I have not even got a snorkel. See my avatar. I have easily been to the recommended max depth, and suffered no after effects whatsoever.

Post #10151414th Nov 2006 12:58 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

I've had water over the bonnet and in the engine bay a number of times. Haven't yet had a problem, although I've never actually _stopped_ in deep water.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #10151514th Nov 2006 1:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
suevite

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Deep wading in Iceland back in September Very Happy ; mine was a Kia Sorrento, theirs was a Disco 3 pulling a small water-repellent German folding caravan thingy (shaped more like a boat hull on wheels!), and we all came through the central highland rivers (up to lip of bonnet) with no problems.

One of the rivers was even hot Shocked (well luke warm) from a thermal hot spring at Lanmannalaugar, deserted campsite and pretty remote at the time....
 Don't put it off, go for it!  
Post #10153014th Nov 2006 2:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
zetecr

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

caverD3 wrote:
Aparently the test vehicle was thrashed if it was the 4x4 mag test.

Actually, this was in the latest issue Australian 4WD Monthly. Looked like they thrashed the cars also, but they apparently did use a wading "bra" over the grills. Their point was that the Disco was the only one that failed to progress, which is fair enough, I guess.

EDIT: I just checked the thread you mentioned, and it IS about the same test. It is reassuring to know the problem seems to have been caused by abuse rather than a real fault with the design or build quality. It would still be interesting to see if anyone has had issues related to wading.

Post #10154014th Nov 2006 6:57 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

Took mine across a deep lake at an off-road site on Sunday, bow wave was pushing water over the bonnet, no snorkel but clearing the intake! No problems at all.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #10155014th Nov 2006 9:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >